Re: Help with the Linux version

  • criafolen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Massimo Gorla" <briareos@...> wrote:

      > > Massimo Gorla wrote:
      > >
      > > >Hi everybody.
      > > >I love pcgen, but I'd like to use it on my Linux box where I keep all
      > > >of my data and programs.
      > > >I use Fedora Core 4, and it doesn't seem to work on that. When I
      start
      > > >up pcgen with the pcgen.sh script it displays a small window saying
      > > >"Directory for options.ini location", a big red "i", a label with
      > > >"html>Select a directory to store PCGen" (yes, there is html written
      > > >there). There is also a piece of a radio button and of a text box.
      > > >The window is obviously too small for the text it is supposed to
      > > >contain, there is no buttons.
      > > >I try to push some keys on my board, but nothing happens. When I
      close
      > > >the window a new window appears with "PCGen Error processing
      > > >Options.ini" in the title bar and "java.lang.String cannot be cast
      > > >into java.lan" (truncated), and a couple of buttons ok/cancel.
      > > >In the end in the console appears a heap of messages saying (.:8313):
      > > >Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `window !=
      NULL' fai
      > > > led
      > > >
      > > >I was wondering if someone has already tried it and can provide
      > some help.
      > > >Thanks everybody.
      > > >

      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sounds like a problem with your java. Make sure you are using an
      > > updated version of java from java.sun.com instead of the poor excuse
      > for
      > > a java binary that comes with Fedora Core 3 and 4.
      > > --
      > >
      > > Steven Gilroy
      > > PCGen OS Lemur
      > > "In a world without fences, who needs GATES?"
      > >

      > Thanks. It worked great!
      >
      > I downloaded the jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin and ran it in my home
      > directory. Next I moved the newly created directory jre1.5.0_05 to
      > /usr/java.
      > Finally I changed the symbolic link /usr/bin/java to make it point to
      > /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin/java and run pcgen.sh
      >
      > (Steven Gilroy also suggested me to change /etc/profile so to add the
      > new java to every user's path, but it's a matter of personal taste)
      >
      > Massimo

      How did you change the symbolic link?
      I've tried using text editors and that dosen't seem to work.
      I'm having the same problem you did
    • Steve Gilroy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
        Remove the existing file - should be /usr/bin/java
        then to create a new symbolic link do the following command:
        ln -s /path/to/java /usr/bin/java
        don't forget the space between the 2 paths (it's kind of hard to see the
        space there).