GMGen and the OGL?

  • rpg_kernel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2007
      Hello dear PCGen community,

      I have a question about GMGen and the OGL.
      As I have read in the OGL it is not permitted that
      someone programs routines which resolve gaming tasks/actions
      (I don't know how to call it here).

      1) But how do you got the permission to program GMGen
      which can even resolve fights, please? (Have you a special
      license to implement the SRD rules?)
      2) Where can I ask for permission to also program
      resolving routines based on the SRD?

      The reason I ask is:

      I am in the beginning of my plannings (which is called
      "Design & Architecture" in the SW-Engineering jargon, the
      "Requirements" I can easily skip because I am at this moment
      the only one devel project) for "porting" PCGen and GMGen to a
      web-based platform (yes, just take the functionality of
      PC/GM/gen to the web).

      I do __not__ want to get legal trouble!! I just want to
      spend my free time for a easy to access and easy to use
      GM/Player Tool.

      And with GMGen the fun just begins because character generation
      is only the beginning for gaming; the real help for the game
      comes with GMGen (and its resolving routines) but as I wrote,
      until today I thought that these were not permitted.

      Please, ask me if my questions are not clear enough.

      Thank you for the great work.
      rpg_kernel
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2007
        > I have a question about GMGen and the OGL.
        > As I have read in the OGL it is not permitted that someone programs
        > routines which resolve gaming tasks/actions (I don't know how to
        > call it here).

        Are you sure you're not confusing the OGL with the d20STL/d20SG?

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD
      • rpg_kernel
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2007
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>
          wrote:

          > > I have a question about GMGen and the OGL.
          > > As I have read in the OGL it is not permitted that someone
          programs
          > > routines which resolve gaming tasks/actions (I don't know how to
          > > call it here).
          >
          > Are you sure you're not confusing the OGL with the d20STL/d20SG?
          >
          > Paul W. King
          > PR SB, BoD

          Hello Mr King,

          I could swear that the FAQs were not clear enough the last time I
          looked at them. ;-)

          But after your answer I read through various FAQs (Software FAQ, OGL
          FAQ) and there was the question what someone must not do with d20
          License which cleared all things up for me.

          Thank you for pointing me at the right direction. ;-)