Re: [pcgen] Im a newb

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
      sean reed scribed:

      >> Do you have a router? My little home network does and in order for outside
      >> users to connect to one of my computers I have to configure the router to
      >> route any requests for that port to a specific computer. So the IP address
      >> PCGen says is my internal address, not what users from the outside will use.
      >> If the address you see starts with 192.168 that's a usually means your IP
      >> is setup for a local network.

      > The IP address i see does start 192.168. How would i go about changing the
      > IP address pcGen uses?

      When you start the Server in the Network tab it grabs whatever IP address
      your machine is currently using.

      > i have dsl so i access the internet through a LAN
      > even though i dont have any other computers. would that count as a router?

      Yeah, routers, switches and the like are all parts of the LAN.

      > i couldn't figure out how to change its configuration. when i turn off my
      > Ethernet modem, the ip address i see in pcgen changes. but then i'm no
      > longer connected to the internet. thanks for your help!

      Can't really help you there, you'll need someone who can help you with your
      network, this isn't really a PCGen problem.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
    • Kevin Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
        Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:
        > On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 03:16:55PM -0600, sean reed wrote:
        >>> Do you have a router? My little home network does and in order for outside
        >>> users to connect to one of my computers I have to configure the router to
        >>> route any requests for that port to a specific computer. So the IP address
        >>> PCGen says is my internal address, not what users from the outside will
        >> use.
        >>> If the address you see starts with 192.168 that's a usually means your IP
        >> is
        >>> setup for a local network.
        >> The IP address i see does start 192.168. How would i go about changing the
        >> IP address pcGen uses? i have dsl so i access the internet through a LAN
        >> even though i dont have any other computers. would that count as a router?
        >> i couldn't figure out how to change its configuration. when i turn off my
        >> Ethernet modem, the ip address i see in pcgen changes. but then i'm no
        >> longer connected to the internet. thanks for your help!
        >
        > I've been naughty, and not seen if anyone has replied, but the easiest way
        > for people not familiar with this kind of thing is for them to go to
        >
        > http://www.whatismyip.com
        >
        > And see what their world visible IP address is.

        Even with that doesn't mean that your system can be reached on the far
        side of the modem/router that the user has. He would also have to turn
        on port forwarding in the router for that port to an ip:port on his system.