Re: [pcgen] Random and semi-random character generation...

  • boomer70
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
      --- Fred Flintstone <freddrick_flintstone@...>
      wrote:

      > Does a feature like this exist in PCGen?
      >
      > What I want is, a way to quickly generate random or
      > semi-random
      > characters. Think of an NPC whose stats, skills,
      > feats, etc., that
      > you would need to reference, and that you'd need to
      > generate quickly.
      >
      > Ideally, it would be smart enough that it generates
      > (intelligently)
      > all of the missing parts. So, for example, if you
      > just specified the
      > character level(s), say 10 levels of rogue, then it
      > would create and
      > assign the stats intelligently (that is, assigning
      > highest stat score
      > to randomly weighted priorities -- for example, a
      > high chance of
      > assigning the highest stat score to Dex); choose
      > feats at random, but
      > from those available to a rogue, and again weighted
      > intelligently; and
      > choose skills randomly but intelligently (i.e.
      > mostly class skills,
      > with some chance of alternate skills). Furthermore,
      > you could specify
      > more detail (i.e. choose the levels and the stats;
      > or choose the
      > levels, stats and feats; etc.; and the randomizer
      > would fill in all
      > of the missing parts).
      >
      > No doubt such a feature would be complicated, but I
      > think it would be
      > very useful.
      >
      > What do you think?

      Sounds like a great idea which is why I implemented it
      :)

      Seriously, if you would like to play with it you will
      need to download the latest build from the 5.11.x
      series. Click on the second file icon on the toolbar
      and it will bring up the NPC generator.

      -Aaron

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mike Riddle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2007
        Downloaded Installed 5.11.6 to test this feature..
        Noticed that stats seemed low for high level (16+) characters.. Are
        you giving the characters their stat increases..
        also the stat assignment seemed a little strange (a wizard whose 3rd
        highest stat was intelligence ? etc)..

        Thanks

        Mike
        > > with some chance of alternate skills). Furthermore,
        > > you could specify
        > > more detail (i.e. choose the levels and the stats;
        > > or choose the
        > > levels, stats and feats; etc.; and the randomizer
        > > would fill in all
        > > of the missing parts).
        > >
        > > No doubt such a feature would be complicated, but I
        > > think it would be
        > > very useful.
        > >
        > > What do you think?
        > >

        > Sounds like a great idea which is why I implemented it
        > :)
        >
        > Seriously, if you would like to play with it you will
        > need to download the latest build from the 5.11.x
        > series. Click on the second file icon on the toolbar
        > and it will bring up the NPC generator.
        >
        > -Aaron

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • boomer70
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2007
          --- Mike Riddle <dmriddle2002@...> wrote:

          > Downloaded Installed 5.11.6 to test this feature..
          > Noticed that stats seemed low for high level (16+)
          > characters.. Are
          > you giving the characters their stat increases..
          > also the stat assignment seemed a little strange (a
          > wizard whose 3rd
          > highest stat was intelligence ? etc)..
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Mike

          I will look into the stat increases from levels. I
          think it is probably randomly assigning the stat
          increase instead of using the weight for stats.

          You can modify the weights for stats by changing the
          classes35.xml file. The way it works is each stat has
          a weight associated with it. Stats are generated and
          sorted from highest roll to lowest. Then a stat is
          selected from the weighted list to assign the roll to.
          This process is continued until all stats have been
          assigned. The default weighting provided may not give
          enough weight to "prime" stats (I believe a Wizard has
          a 9/30 chance of having Int be his highest stat).

          -Aaron

          > > > with some chance of alternate skills).
          > Furthermore,
          > > > you could specify
          > > > more detail (i.e. choose the levels and the
          > stats;
          > > > or choose the
          > > > levels, stats and feats; etc.; and the
          > randomizer
          > > > would fill in all
          > > > of the missing parts).
          > > >
          > > > No doubt such a feature would be complicated,
          > but I
          > > > think it would be
          > > > very useful.
          > > >
          > > > What do you think?
          > > >

          > > Sounds like a great idea which is why I
          > implemented it
          > > :)
          > >
          > > Seriously, if you would like to play with it you
          > will
          > > need to download the latest build from the 5.11.x
          > > series. Click on the second file icon on the
          > toolbar
          > > and it will bring up the NPC generator.
          > >
          > > -Aaron

          > protection around