Re: [pcgen] Im a newb

  • sean reed
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
      >Do you have a router? My little home network does and in order for outside
      >users to connect to one of my computers I have to configure the router to
      >route any requests for that port to a specific computer. So the IP address
      >PCGen says is my internal address, not what users from the outside will
      use.
      >If the address you see starts with 192.168 that's a usually means your IP
      is
      >setup for a local network.
      The IP address i see does start 192.168. How would i go about changing the
      IP address pcGen uses? i have dsl so i access the internet through a LAN
      even though i dont have any other computers. would that count as a router?
      i couldn't figure out how to change its configuration. when i turn off my
      Ethernet modem, the ip address i see in pcgen changes. but then i'm no
      longer connected to the internet. thanks for your help!

    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
        sean reed scribed:

        >> Do you have a router? My little home network does and in order for outside
        >> users to connect to one of my computers I have to configure the router to
        >> route any requests for that port to a specific computer. So the IP address
        >> PCGen says is my internal address, not what users from the outside will use.
        >> If the address you see starts with 192.168 that's a usually means your IP
        >> is setup for a local network.

        > The IP address i see does start 192.168. How would i go about changing the
        > IP address pcGen uses?

        When you start the Server in the Network tab it grabs whatever IP address
        your machine is currently using.

        > i have dsl so i access the internet through a LAN
        > even though i dont have any other computers. would that count as a router?

        Yeah, routers, switches and the like are all parts of the LAN.

        > i couldn't figure out how to change its configuration. when i turn off my
        > Ethernet modem, the ip address i see in pcgen changes. but then i'm no
        > longer connected to the internet. thanks for your help!

        Can't really help you there, you'll need someone who can help you with your
        network, this isn't really a PCGen problem.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Jeffrey Brent McBeth
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
          On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 03:16:55PM -0600, sean reed wrote:
          > >Do you have a router? My little home network does and in order for outside
          > >users to connect to one of my computers I have to configure the router to
          > >route any requests for that port to a specific computer. So the IP address
          > >PCGen says is my internal address, not what users from the outside will
          > use.
          > >If the address you see starts with 192.168 that's a usually means your IP
          > is
          > >setup for a local network.
          > The IP address i see does start 192.168. How would i go about changing the
          > IP address pcGen uses? i have dsl so i access the internet through a LAN
          > even though i dont have any other computers. would that count as a router?
          > i couldn't figure out how to change its configuration. when i turn off my
          > Ethernet modem, the ip address i see in pcgen changes. but then i'm no
          > longer connected to the internet. thanks for your help!

          I've been naughty, and not seen if anyone has replied, but the easiest way
          for people not familiar with this kind of thing is for them to go to

          http://www.whatismyip.com

          And see what their world visible IP address is.

          Jeff

        • Kevin Brown
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
            Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:
            > On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 03:16:55PM -0600, sean reed wrote:
            >>> Do you have a router? My little home network does and in order for outside
            >>> users to connect to one of my computers I have to configure the router to
            >>> route any requests for that port to a specific computer. So the IP address
            >>> PCGen says is my internal address, not what users from the outside will
            >> use.
            >>> If the address you see starts with 192.168 that's a usually means your IP
            >> is
            >>> setup for a local network.
            >> The IP address i see does start 192.168. How would i go about changing the
            >> IP address pcGen uses? i have dsl so i access the internet through a LAN
            >> even though i dont have any other computers. would that count as a router?
            >> i couldn't figure out how to change its configuration. when i turn off my
            >> Ethernet modem, the ip address i see in pcgen changes. but then i'm no
            >> longer connected to the internet. thanks for your help!
            >
            > I've been naughty, and not seen if anyone has replied, but the easiest way
            > for people not familiar with this kind of thing is for them to go to
            >
            > http://www.whatismyip.com
            >
            > And see what their world visible IP address is.

            Even with that doesn't mean that your system can be reached on the far
            side of the modem/router that the user has. He would also have to turn
            on port forwarding in the router for that port to an ip:port on his system.