Jump Armor Check / Weight penalty not working properly

  • dieusani
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
      Forgive me if this is stated elsewhere, I couldn't find it so I
      thought I'd post.

      This concerns the 3.5e D&D ruleset...RSRD, I believe, in PCGen.

      The armor check penalty appears to be working improperly with regards
      to jump. When nothing was equipped or carried, my character seemed to
      show it just fine, with a 0 penalty. However, when I set him to carry
      enough items to get a "medium" weight encumbrance, the penalty jumped
      to a -9, even though the armor check was just a -3. Additionally,
      once I removed enough weight to get him into the "light" encumbrance
      again, the armor check penalty dropped to 0 but the jump remained at a
      -6 penalty.

      To my knowledge, I have nothing else on the character that would
      affect his jump skill. His armor is leather, which carries no penalty
      on its own, so the armor check penalty was all due to weight. Is
      there just something I'm missing on this in the ruleset? I've just
      started using the D&D set for a game, so I'm very unfamiliar with it.
    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
        I can't replicate that in 5.11.5, java 1.5, RSRD Core Book 1 loaded only.

        Which version are you using?

        On 1/3/07, dieusani <wolf_ninja@...> wrote:
        > Forgive me if this is stated elsewhere, I couldn't find it so I
        > thought I'd post.
        >
        > This concerns the 3.5e D&D ruleset...RSRD, I believe, in PCGen.
        >
        > The armor check penalty appears to be working improperly with regards
        > to jump. When nothing was equipped or carried, my character seemed to
        > show it just fine, with a 0 penalty. However, when I set him to carry
        > enough items to get a "medium" weight encumbrance, the penalty jumped
        > to a -9, even though the armor check was just a -3. Additionally,
        > once I removed enough weight to get him into the "light" encumbrance
        > again, the armor check penalty dropped to 0 but the jump remained at a
        > -6 penalty.
        >
        > To my knowledge, I have nothing else on the character that would
        > affect his jump skill. His armor is leather, which carries no penalty
        > on its own, so the armor check penalty was all due to weight. Is
        > there just something I'm missing on this in the ruleset? I've just
        > started using the D&D set for a game, so I'm very unfamiliar with it.

        PCGen LST Chimp
      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
          dieusani wrote:

          > The armor check penalty appears to be working improperly with regards
          > to jump. When nothing was equipped or carried, my character seemed to
          > show it just fine, with a 0 penalty. However, when I set him to carry
          > enough items to get a "medium" weight encumbrance, the penalty jumped
          > to a -9, even though the armor check was just a -3. Additionally,
          > once I removed enough weight to get him into the "light" encumbrance
          > again, the armor check penalty dropped to 0 but the jump remained at a
          > -6 penalty.

          Check the Jump skill description:

          "Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet
          then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is
          less than 30 feet, you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less
          than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus
          for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet."

          Once your character carries a medium load, his speed drops from 30 feet
          to 20 feet (in the case of a human). So, according to the cited rule,
          you incur a -6 penalty to your Jump check in addidtion the the -3 armor
          check penalty from the load.

          Stefan.