Players Handbook II

  • aksbestbargoons
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2006
      Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but are any of the new DnD books available
      for pcgen? I am looking for the Players Handbook II, Complete Warrior
      and some others. I know I can put each of these new classes, skills...
      into pcgen individually, but that is a huge job. I'm a bit new to it
      all, but are there patches or updates I can download without having to
      download the whole pcgen again?

      Wondering
    • Richard Bowers
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2006
        Unfortunately, not any more, at least for many of the WotC expansions.. The
        content in books like the Complete Warrior are not released under a license,
        as most of the core rules are, which means that a free group like PCGen
        can't choose to write them up and publish them. As individuals, if we own
        the books, we can write the rules up, but it might be a violation of either
        copyright law or the agreements we have with publishers for us to share
        them. Up until recently, you would have been referred to Code Monkey
        Publishing, which had an agreement with WotC that let them code them and
        sell them at a fair price. However, CMP just lost its license, and so it
        can't sell them any more.

        We do have files for many third party supplements where we've gotten
        publisher approval, but WotC is still working on how to build their business
        case around those supplements and isn't licensing them to us or anyone else
        at this time.

        If you do decide to code them yourself, you can ask generic questions how to
        code things on the pcgenlistfilehelp yahoo group. By "Generic", I mean that
        you shouldn't mention any classes, feats, spells, or characters by name on
        the group. You might ask about a class named "Code monkeys" or
        BestWebDesigners" instead of using a class name.from the book, and instead
        of including the feat description, paraphrase and change it slightly.

        I tend to combine the spells from multiple sources together in one file, but
        divide up those that are class specific, to make them load faster. I also
        tend to stub out the classes, since that's pretty quick - create the four or
        five class lines for each class in a source, and add the special ability
        names only, worry about coding them only if I have a player doing them.
        IIRC, Complete Warrior was a pain to code because it had some feats that
        weren't straightforward, especially those dealing with exotic weapons. I
        left about half the classes as stubs because I couldn't conceive of anyone
        playing them. Doing the rest of it only took a few hours, though YMMV.

        Be sure to ask if you need help, but again, don't include anything from the
        book specific.

        Richard

        On 12/30/06, aksbestbargoons <allen@...> wrote:

        > Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but are any of the new DnD books available
        > for pcgen? I am looking for the Players Handbook II, Complete Warrior
        > and some others. I know I can put each of these new classes, skills...
        > into pcgen individually, but that is a huge job. I'm a bit new to it
        > all, but are there patches or updates I can download without having to
        > download the whole pcgen again?
        >
        > Wondering

      • computergames_nerd
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2007
          All,

          Have the new character choices from Players Handbook 2 been added?
          Along, with the expanded basic classes.

          Like the Dragon Shaman, Duskblade or Hexblade?

          Thanks,
          Lacy
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2007
            > Have the new character choices from Players Handbook 2 been added?

            The PHB2 is not OGC. Because of this, we can not create datasets based
            on this source for distribution. If you want this material, you only
            choice is to create the dataset yourself for your own personal use.

            Paul W. King
            PR SB, BoD
          • computergames_nerd
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>
              wrote:

              > > Have the new character choices from Players Handbook 2 been added?
              >
              > The PHB2 is not OGC. Because of this, we can not create datasets
              based
              > on this source for distribution. If you want this material, you only
              > choice is to create the dataset yourself for your own personal use.
              >
              > Paul W. King
              > PR SB, BoD

              Is there anywhere I can download Character set add-ons? A site with
              player made mods all compiled together?
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
                That material is not OGC, and WotC has not given anyone a license to distribute their closed content material. So I'm afraid your