RSRD Hidden Feat Potential Typo

  • Tom Parker
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2006
      Hidden Feat: Paladin Tracker - Detect Evil

      awards VFEAT:Detect Evil

      But there isn't a Feat called Detect Evil in RSRD... Typo?

      Similarly

      Rogue Tracker - Trap Sense

      awards VFEAT:Trap Sense

      Yet there is no 'Trap Sense' Feat... there IS a 'Trap Sense Ability'
      Feat - is this another typo?
    • kigmatzomat
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2006
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

        > Hidden Feat: Paladin Tracker - Detect Evil
        >
        > awards VFEAT:Detect Evil
        >
        > But there isn't a Feat called Detect Evil in RSRD... Typo?

        Not typos, work arounds.

        Certain special abilities use PCGen's 'feat' component to achieve
        certain results easier and more consistently.

        By making Trap Sense a feat, rather than a SA (special ability), for
        Rogues, Barbarians, etc it provides a level of error handling since
        any typos result in the feat not appearing on the character sheet and
        ensures that the pre-reqs for prestige classes, feats, magic items,
        etc will be configured to use the same thing. It also reduces the
        total amount of text required for the coder since

        VFEAT:Trap Sense

        is a lot shorter than

        SA:Trap Sense (+%)|TrapsenseVar

        -James McP
      • Tom Parker
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2006
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kigmatzomat" <jamesmcp@...> wrote:
          > Not typos, work arounds.

          Not sure I'm clearly communicating my point. I understand that the
          intent is to use a Feat as a Special Ability for reuse and consistency.

          However, go look at the RSRD LST Files, specifically the Feat files.

          Trap Sense is NOT a Feat. Putting in:

          VFEAT:Trap Sense

          ...won't get you anywhere. The error of using an undefined Feat is
          silently consumed by PCGen. The above line is as useful as:

          VFEAT:FooBar

          ...since FooBar doesn't exist as a Feat.

          Putting in:

          VFEAT:Trap Sense Ability

          ...would have an effect, since Trap Sense Ability IS a Feat. This is
          similar to what the Rogue does at 3rd level (though it's using
          FEATAUTO rather than VFEAT)

          Same goes for VFEAT:Detect Evil. There IS NO Detect Evil Feat (run a
          search through the LST files), and PCGen doesn't automagically create
          one... so is that tag a typo (and should be removed) or is the lack of
          a Detect Evil Feat a typo?

          I don't comprehend why we would want to refer to feats that don't
          exist (if referring to something that doesn't exist really is a
          workaround, the code base is more strange than I thought!)
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 22, 2006
            Tom Parker scribed:

            > Not sure I'm clearly communicating my point. I understand that the
            > intent is to use a Feat as a Special Ability for reuse and consistency.
            >
            > However, go look at the RSRD LST Files, specifically the Feat files.
            >
            > Trap Sense is NOT a Feat. Putting in:
            >
            > VFEAT:Trap Sense
            >
            > ...won't get you anywhere. The error of using an undefined Feat is
            > silently consumed by PCGen. The above line is as useful as:
            >
            > VFEAT:FooBar
            >
            > ...since FooBar doesn't exist as a Feat.
            >
            > Putting in:
            >
            > VFEAT:Trap Sense Ability
            >
            > ...would have an effect, since Trap Sense Ability IS a Feat. This is
            > similar to what the Rogue does at 3rd level (though it's using
            > FEATAUTO rather than VFEAT)
            >
            > Same goes for VFEAT:Detect Evil. There IS NO Detect Evil Feat (run a
            > search through the LST files), and PCGen doesn't automagically create
            > one... so is that tag a typo (and should be removed) or is the lack of
            > a Detect Evil Feat a typo?
            >
            > I don't comprehend why we would want to refer to feats that don't
            > exist (if referring to something that doesn't exist really is a
            > workaround, the code base is more strange than I thought!)

            Yeah, that's a straight forward data bug, need a tracker for that.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 23, 2006
              Tracker: