Re: [pcgen] New with dataset question

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
      Hi David,

      David Boddie wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I know I'm new and I know you've probably been asked this a billion times...

      And it will probably happen another billion... :)
      > Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?

      Would require it's own game mode, I'm not aware of any active work on it...
      > Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?

      As long as it follows d20 it's possible.
      > I know the devs like to ask permission, I just didn't know if that
      > has happened yet...

      There is a webpage that lists all the status of all the publishers we've
      spoken too.
      > Boddie

    • Terry FitzSimons
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
        On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:48:42 -0600, David Boddie <dboddie@...> wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >I know I'm new and I know you've probably been asked this a billion times...
        >
        >Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?
        >Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?
        >
        >I know the devs like to ask permission, I just didn't know if that
        >has happened yet...
        >
        >Boddie

        Hey Boddie, welcome to the jungle.

        I'm not sure if we do or do not have the permissions on those books. If
        you have them you can check the OGL permissions in the front of the book
        and see.

        You might also check out the docs directory in the PcGen version that you
        downloaded (version 5.11.3 at least has it). double click on the index.html
        and open the "Frequently Asked Questions" file, open the "I Want to Help to
        Make Datasets and use Prettylst" and you will find a bunch of useful
        information on making datasets, where to find information of Publishers
        that have given OK's for which datasets to be made, ect.

        Terry
      • David Boddie
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
          At 04:08 PM 12/4/2006, you wrote:

          > > Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?
          > >

          >Would require it's own game mode, I'm not aware of any active work on it...

          Ok.

          > > Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?
          > >

          >As long as it follows d20 it's possible.

          The rest of those don't really follow the d20 SRD. Pretty much all
          the games I mentioned don't.

          Thanks for the info.

          Boddie
        • Kevin Brown
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
            > I know I'm new and I know you've probably been asked this a billion times...
            >
            > Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?
            > Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?
            >
            > I know the devs like to ask permission, I just didn't know if that
            > has happened yet...

            Action! System, Fudge and Fate aren't even D20, so it would be hard for
            PCGen to be used with them without a lot of code changes to accommodate
            the systems.
          • Frank Kliewe
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
              On 12/4/06, David Boddie <dboddie@...> wrote:

              > At 04:08 PM 12/4/2006, you wrote:
              >
              > > > Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?
              > > >

              > >Would require it's own game mode, I'm not aware of any active work on it...
              >
              > Ok.
              >
              > > > Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?
              > > >

              > >As long as it follows d20 it's possible.
              >
              > The rest of those don't really follow the d20 SRD. Pretty much all
              > the games I mentioned don't.
              >
              > Thanks for the info.
              >
              > Boddie

              I intend to do a dataset for True20. The character creation is quite
              different to normal d20, though. I'll have to check how far the code
              work on abilities has grown, since the idea that I have for coding
              True20 will heavily work with that.

              Other than that I need time to do it and we're going to need Green
              Ronin's permission to include the dataset in our distribution.

              Cheerio,

              Frank Kliewe
              PCGen Content Silverback

              --
              ['POSSIBLE RESPONSE: YES/NO; OR WHAT?; GO AWAY; PLEASE COME BACK
              LATER; F*** YOU, A******; F*** YOU']