New with dataset question

  • David Boddie
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
      Hi all,

      I know I'm new and I know you've probably been asked this a billion times...

      Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?
      Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?

      I know the devs like to ask permission, I just didn't know if that
      has happened yet...

      Boddie
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
        Hi David,

        David Boddie wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I know I'm new and I know you've probably been asked this a billion times...

        And it will probably happen another billion... :)
        > Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?

        Would require it's own game mode, I'm not aware of any active work on it...
        > Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?

        As long as it follows d20 it's possible.
        > I know the devs like to ask permission, I just didn't know if that
        > has happened yet...

        There is a webpage that lists all the status of all the publishers we've
        spoken too.
        > Boddie

      • Terry FitzSimons
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
          On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:48:42 -0600, David Boddie <dboddie@...> wrote:

          >Hi all,
          >
          >I know I'm new and I know you've probably been asked this a billion times...
          >
          >Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?
          >Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?
          >
          >I know the devs like to ask permission, I just didn't know if that
          >has happened yet...
          >
          >Boddie

          Hey Boddie, welcome to the jungle.

          I'm not sure if we do or do not have the permissions on those books. If
          you have them you can check the OGL permissions in the front of the book
          and see.

          You might also check out the docs directory in the PcGen version that you
          downloaded (version 5.11.3 at least has it). double click on the index.html
          and open the "Frequently Asked Questions" file, open the "I Want to Help to
          Make Datasets and use Prettylst" and you will find a bunch of useful
          information on making datasets, where to find information of Publishers
          that have given OK's for which datasets to be made, ect.

          Terry
        • David Boddie
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
            At 04:08 PM 12/4/2006, you wrote:

            > > Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?
            > >

            >Would require it's own game mode, I'm not aware of any active work on it...

            Ok.

            > > Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?
            > >

            >As long as it follows d20 it's possible.

            The rest of those don't really follow the d20 SRD. Pretty much all
            the games I mentioned don't.

            Thanks for the info.

            Boddie
          • Kevin Brown
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
              > I know I'm new and I know you've probably been asked this a billion times...
              >
              > Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?
              > Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?
              >
              > I know the devs like to ask permission, I just didn't know if that
              > has happened yet...

              Action! System, Fudge and Fate aren't even D20, so it would be hard for
              PCGen to be used with them without a lot of code changes to accommodate
              the systems.
            • Frank Kliewe
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
                On 12/4/06, David Boddie <dboddie@...> wrote:

                > At 04:08 PM 12/4/2006, you wrote:
                >
                > > > Has anyone thought about doing a dataset for True20 with PCGen?
                > > >

                > >Would require it's own game mode, I'm not aware of any active work on it...
                >
                > Ok.
                >
                > > > Mutants and Masterminds? Action! System and other OGL games (Fudge & Fate)?
                > > >

                > >As long as it follows d20 it's possible.
                >
                > The rest of those don't really follow the d20 SRD. Pretty much all
                > the games I mentioned don't.
                >
                > Thanks for the info.
                >
                > Boddie

                I intend to do a dataset for True20. The character creation is quite
                different to normal d20, though. I'll have to check how far the code
                work on abilities has grown, since the idea that I have for coding
                True20 will heavily work with that.

                Other than that I need time to do it and we're going to need Green
                Ronin's permission to include the dataset in our distribution.

                Cheerio,

                Frank Kliewe
                PCGen Content Silverback

                --
                ['POSSIBLE RESPONSE: YES/NO; OR WHAT?; GO AWAY; PLEASE COME BACK
                LATER; F*** YOU, A******; F*** YOU']