Re: New help... Wizard's familiar?

  • astrocat01
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
      This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
      as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
      stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
      worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "astrocat01" <astrocat@...> wrote:

      > Actually it doesn't work. :( I added the missing line to the
      template
      > but the RSRD version will automatically add Alertness when you get
      > familiar and it will list the alertness feat on your character
      sheet.
      > I just added the line to the CMP: phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_template.lst
      > but that is not enough.
      >
      > Where do I add information so that it will make this all happen
      > automatically and add Alertness to the feat list on the character
      > sheet, like the RSRD version?
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "astrocat01" <astrocat@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was able to add in the template to the CMP data set and it
      works!
      > > But why is this all missing from the CMP data set? Is there a
      bunch
      > > of other stuff "not working" in the CMP data sets?
      > >
      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "astrocat01" <astrocat@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Yeah the Codemonkey core books data sets are missing tons of
      the
      > > RSRD
      > > > templates including:
      > > >
      > > > Familiar within arms reach SOURCE:Revised (v.3.5) System
      > Reference
      > > > Document, ClassesII.rtf Desc:While a familiar is within arm's
      > > reach,
      > > > the master gains the Alertness feat
      > > >
      > > > Using the RSRD core books I added this and it worked. Although
      > > etools
      > > > would do this all for you automatically I'm glad it can be done
      > in
      > > > PCGen.
      > > >
      > > > Is there a way to show the Saving Throw familiar bonus as a
      MISC
      > > > modifier instead of as the Base. The added skills from
      Alertness
      > > show
      > > > up as MISC which is correct.
      > > >
      > > > Also, is there any disadvantage to using the RSRD version of
      the
      > > core
      > > > rules instead of the CM ones. Or how can I add the templates to
      > the
      > > > CM ones?
      > > >
      > > > If I use the RSRD base data sets, is there any problem adding
      CM
      > > data
      > > > sets for other books with them?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks a ton the help!

      Using
      > > > 5.10.1
      > are

      > > > familiar's
      > tools
      > > > would

      > > You
      > > > need
      > > > they
      > rather
      > > > than

    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
        Dude, they have a completely separately maintained dataset tree.

        We have the advantage of Code Monkeys and Data Monkeys working
        together at the same time in alpha development to get all the changes
        included. Since they use the Stable for releases, they have to play
        'catch up'.

        Let them know what you need (on _their_ forums) and they can get
        things included and fixed. If they don't get feedback, they won't be
        able to do anything. _Please_ let them know where they maintain it.
        They shouldn't have to follow our open source lists to watch for
        issues in their sets.

        On 12/2/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
        > This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
        > as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
        > stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
        > worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

        PCGen LST Chimp
      • astrocat01
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
          Understood, I'll keep letting them know over at their forums. Thanks.

          > Dude, they have a completely separately maintained dataset tree.
          >
          > We have the advantage of Code Monkeys and Data Monkeys working
          > together at the same time in alpha development to get all the
          changes
          > included. Since they use the Stable for releases, they have to play
          > 'catch up'.
          >
          > Let them know what you need (on _their_ forums) and they can get
          > things included and fixed. If they don't get feedback, they won't
          be
          > able to do anything. _Please_ let them know where they maintain it.
          > They shouldn't have to follow our open source lists to watch for
          > issues in their sets.
          >
          > On 12/2/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
          > > This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw
          thing
          > > as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of
          this
          > > stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
          > > worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)
          >
          > --
          > Tir Gwaith
          > PCGen LST Chimp

        • Terry FitzSimons
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
            On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:20:26 -0000, "astrocat01" <astrocat@...>
            wrote:

            >This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
            >as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
            >stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
            >worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

            Which is why I started transferring CMP's datasets over to PcGen's Core
            products, it was less of a headachy in the long run. I think that the CMP
            conversion from previous versions to the new stable just wasn't fully
            carried out.

            Terry
          • barak@hughes.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
              astrocat sez:
              >stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
              >worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

              They're not missing stuff... they follow the rules.

              Alertness is granted only when your familiar is within arms reach, so
              it should NOT be applied on a constant basis (and is not in CMP sets,
              nor will it ever be). Where the Open Source team is free to do as they
              wish with the OGL material, CMP *must* follow the rules set out by WotC
              due to the contract/license (yes, even thought the contract was not
              renewed, for the next two years we are operating under the last version
              in effect in regards to content, etc.).

              terry sez:
              -- I think that the CMP conversion from previous versions to the new
              stable
              -- just wasn't fully carried out.

              Depends on what you mean by "fully carried out" and "conversion"...
              all datasets load and work in 5.10.1, which means they were all
              converted.

              Do they take advantage of all the new capabilities? No. Will they
              eventually? Yes. But it will take time. Why? Becasue CMP has 150+
              datasets and fewer data workers than the Open Source team (who have far
              fewer datasets to work with).

              So, be patient and ask for things you'd like to see the CMP datasets
              doing on their forums. Since I have a small bit to do with that stuff,
              I'll tell you now that we'll hit stuff that people ask for first. :)

              Barak