Re: [pcgen] Re: New help... Wizard's familiar?

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006

      On 2/12/2006 9:48 AM astrocat01 wrote
      > Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:
      >
      > Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves
      >
      > This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using 5.10.1
      > and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
      > loaded.
      >
      > Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the familiar's
      > abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools would
      > take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in to
      > PCGen completely?
      >
      > Thanks for the help.

      The open source data sets for PCGen handle familiars just fine. You need
      to chat with the CMP guys on their boards about these issues as they
      would appear to be related to the data sets you are using rather than
      the program itself.

      James Dempsey
      PCGen Code SB
    • astrocat01
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
        Yeah the Codemonkey core books data sets are missing tons of the RSRD
        templates including:

        Familiar within arms reach SOURCE:Revised (v.3.5) System Reference
        Document, ClassesII.rtf Desc:While a familiar is within arm's reach,
        the master gains the Alertness feat

        Using the RSRD core books I added this and it worked. Although etools
        would do this all for you automatically I'm glad it can be done in
        PCGen.

        Is there a way to show the Saving Throw familiar bonus as a MISC
        modifier instead of as the Base. The added skills from Alertness show
        up as MISC which is correct.

        Also, is there any disadvantage to using the RSRD version of the core
        rules instead of the CM ones. Or how can I add the templates to the
        CM ones?

        If I use the RSRD base data sets, is there any problem adding CM data
        sets for other books with them?

        Thanks a ton the help!

        > On 2/12/2006 9:48 AM astrocat01 wrote
        > > Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:
        > >
        > > Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves
        > >
        > > This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using
        5.10.1
        > > and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
        > > loaded.
        > >
        > > Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the
        familiar's
        > > abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools
        would
        > > take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in to
        > > PCGen completely?
        > >
        > > Thanks for the help.
        > >

        > The open source data sets for PCGen handle familiars just fine. You
        need
        > to chat with the CMP guys on their boards about these issues as
        they
        > would appear to be related to the data sets you are using rather
        than
        > the program itself.
        >
        > --
        > Cheers,
        > James Dempsey
        > PCGen Code SB

      • astrocat01
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
          I was able to add in the template to the CMP data set and it works!
          But why is this all missing from the CMP data set? Is there a bunch
          of other stuff "not working" in the CMP data sets?

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "astrocat01" <astrocat@...> wrote:

          > Yeah the Codemonkey core books data sets are missing tons of the
          RSRD
          > templates including:
          >
          > Familiar within arms reach SOURCE:Revised (v.3.5) System Reference
          > Document, ClassesII.rtf Desc:While a familiar is within arm's
          reach,
          > the master gains the Alertness feat
          >
          > Using the RSRD core books I added this and it worked. Although
          etools
          > would do this all for you automatically I'm glad it can be done in
          > PCGen.
          >
          > Is there a way to show the Saving Throw familiar bonus as a MISC
          > modifier instead of as the Base. The added skills from Alertness
          show
          > up as MISC which is correct.
          >
          > Also, is there any disadvantage to using the RSRD version of the
          core
          > rules instead of the CM ones. Or how can I add the templates to the
          > CM ones?
          >
          > If I use the RSRD base data sets, is there any problem adding CM
          data
          > sets for other books with them?
          >
          > Thanks a ton the help!
          >

          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > On 2/12/2006 9:48 AM astrocat01 wrote
          > > > Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:
          > > >
          > > > Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves
          > > >
          > > > This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using
          > 5.10.1
          > > > and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
          > > > loaded.
          > > >
          > > > Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the
          > familiar's
          > > > abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools
          > would
          > > > take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in
          > > > PCGen completely?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for the help.
          > > >

          > > The open source data sets for PCGen handle familiars just fine.
          You
          > need
          > > to chat with the CMP guys on their boards about these issues as
          > they
          > > would appear to be related to the data sets you are using rather
          > than
          > > the program itself.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Cheers,
          > > James Dempsey
          > > PCGen Code SB

        • astrocat01
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
            Actually it doesn't work. :( I added the missing line to the template
            but the RSRD version will automatically add Alertness when you get a
            familiar and it will list the alertness feat on your character sheet.
            I just added the line to the CMP: phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_template.lst
            but that is not enough.

            Where do I add information so that it will make this all happen
            automatically and add Alertness to the feat list on the character
            sheet, like the RSRD version?

          • astrocat01
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
              This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
              as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
              stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
              worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                Dude, they have a completely separately maintained dataset tree.

                We have the advantage of Code Monkeys and Data Monkeys working
                together at the same time in alpha development to get all the changes
                included. Since they use the Stable for releases, they have to play
                'catch up'.

                Let them know what you need (on _their_ forums) and they can get
                things included and fixed. If they don't get feedback, they won't be
                able to do anything. _Please_ let them know where they maintain it.
                They shouldn't have to follow our open source lists to watch for
                issues in their sets.

                On 12/2/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
                > This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
                > as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
                > stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                > worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                PCGen LST Chimp
              • astrocat01
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Understood, I'll keep letting them know over at their forums. Thanks.

                  > Dude, they have a completely separately maintained dataset tree.
                  >
                  > We have the advantage of Code Monkeys and Data Monkeys working
                  > together at the same time in alpha development to get all the
                  changes
                  > included. Since they use the Stable for releases, they have to play
                  > 'catch up'.
                  >
                  > Let them know what you need (on _their_ forums) and they can get
                  > things included and fixed. If they don't get feedback, they won't
                  be
                  > able to do anything. _Please_ let them know where they maintain it.
                  > They shouldn't have to follow our open source lists to watch for
                  > issues in their sets.
                  >
                  > On 12/2/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
                  > > This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw
                  thing
                  > > as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of
                  this
                  > > stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                  > > worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)
                  >
                  > --
                  > Tir Gwaith
                  > PCGen LST Chimp

                • Terry FitzSimons
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
                    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:20:26 -0000, "astrocat01" <astrocat@...>
                    wrote:

                    >This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
                    >as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
                    >stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                    >worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                    Which is why I started transferring CMP's datasets over to PcGen's Core
                    products, it was less of a headachy in the long run. I think that the CMP
                    conversion from previous versions to the new stable just wasn't fully
                    carried out.

                    Terry
                  • barak@hughes.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
                      astrocat sez:
                      >stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                      >worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                      They're not missing stuff... they follow the rules.

                      Alertness is granted only when your familiar is within arms reach, so
                      it should NOT be applied on a constant basis (and is not in CMP sets,
                      nor will it ever be). Where the Open Source team is free to do as they
                      wish with the OGL material, CMP *must* follow the rules set out by WotC
                      due to the contract/license (yes, even thought the contract was not
                      renewed, for the next two years we are operating under the last version
                      in effect in regards to content, etc.).

                      terry sez:
                      -- I think that the CMP conversion from previous versions to the new
                      stable
                      -- just wasn't fully carried out.

                      Depends on what you mean by "fully carried out" and "conversion"...
                      all datasets load and work in 5.10.1, which means they were all
                      converted.

                      Do they take advantage of all the new capabilities? No. Will they
                      eventually? Yes. But it will take time. Why? Becasue CMP has 150+
                      datasets and fewer data workers than the Open Source team (who have far
                      fewer datasets to work with).

                      So, be patient and ask for things you'd like to see the CMP datasets
                      doing on their forums. Since I have a small bit to do with that stuff,
                      I'll tell you now that we'll hit stuff that people ask for first. :)

                      Barak