Re: [pcgen] New help... Wizard's familiar?

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006

      astrocat01 wrote:
      > Ok, etools used to add the familiar to your character and add in the
      > bonuses (skills and feats) it gives you. I don't see PCGen doing this.

      After you add a proper familiar, look at the master for all the changes.
      In order to get detailed help, it would help if you told us what
      familiar are you adding and the bonus you are expecting to see.
      Example: Toad gives 3 HP. Open the HP Dialog Button on the Summary page
      and you'd see the HP has increased by 3.
      Another thing is which version of the program are you using and which
      data sets have you loaded. If you are using CMP Data sets then you'd
      need to ask them on their forums as they have their sets done
      differently from the standard sets.
      > Actually it seems to not be even listing the added feat Alertness to
      > the familiar at all.

      It won't, Familiars don't get the Alertness Feat. The
      Wizard/Sorcerer/Spell caster does. There is also under resources tab,
      Temp Bonuses > Familiar within Arms Reach is selectable for all full
      bonuses.

      > Any help or adivce for working with familiar's?

      Well, besides that... Let me know if that helps or works. If not give a
      detailed description of what familiar and associated things are not
      working or you aren't seeing.
      > Thanks!

    • astrocat01
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
        Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:

        Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves

        This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using 5.10.1
        and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
        loaded.

        Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the familiar's
        abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools would
        take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in to
        PCGen completely?

        Thanks for the help.

        http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
        > > PCGen's Online Docs:
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006

          On 2/12/2006 9:48 AM astrocat01 wrote
          > Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:
          >
          > Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves
          >
          > This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using 5.10.1
          > and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
          > loaded.
          >
          > Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the familiar's
          > abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools would
          > take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in to
          > PCGen completely?
          >
          > Thanks for the help.

          The open source data sets for PCGen handle familiars just fine. You need
          to chat with the CMP guys on their boards about these issues as they
          would appear to be related to the data sets you are using rather than
          the program itself.

          James Dempsey
          PCGen Code SB
        • astrocat01
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
            Yeah the Codemonkey core books data sets are missing tons of the RSRD
            templates including:

            Familiar within arms reach SOURCE:Revised (v.3.5) System Reference
            Document, ClassesII.rtf Desc:While a familiar is within arm's reach,
            the master gains the Alertness feat

            Using the RSRD core books I added this and it worked. Although etools
            would do this all for you automatically I'm glad it can be done in
            PCGen.

            Is there a way to show the Saving Throw familiar bonus as a MISC
            modifier instead of as the Base. The added skills from Alertness show
            up as MISC which is correct.

            Also, is there any disadvantage to using the RSRD version of the core
            rules instead of the CM ones. Or how can I add the templates to the
            CM ones?

            If I use the RSRD base data sets, is there any problem adding CM data
            sets for other books with them?

            Thanks a ton the help!

            > On 2/12/2006 9:48 AM astrocat01 wrote
            > > Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:
            > >
            > > Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves
            > >
            > > This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using
            5.10.1
            > > and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
            > > loaded.
            > >
            > > Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the
            familiar's
            > > abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools
            would
            > > take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in to
            > > PCGen completely?
            > >
            > > Thanks for the help.
            > >

            > The open source data sets for PCGen handle familiars just fine. You
            need
            > to chat with the CMP guys on their boards about these issues as
            they
            > would appear to be related to the data sets you are using rather
            than
            > the program itself.
            >
            > --
            > Cheers,
            > James Dempsey
            > PCGen Code SB

          • astrocat01
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
              I was able to add in the template to the CMP data set and it works!
              But why is this all missing from the CMP data set? Is there a bunch
              of other stuff "not working" in the CMP data sets?

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "astrocat01" <astrocat@...> wrote:

              > Yeah the Codemonkey core books data sets are missing tons of the
              RSRD
              > templates including:
              >
              > Familiar within arms reach SOURCE:Revised (v.3.5) System Reference
              > Document, ClassesII.rtf Desc:While a familiar is within arm's
              reach,
              > the master gains the Alertness feat
              >
              > Using the RSRD core books I added this and it worked. Although
              etools
              > would do this all for you automatically I'm glad it can be done in
              > PCGen.
              >
              > Is there a way to show the Saving Throw familiar bonus as a MISC
              > modifier instead of as the Base. The added skills from Alertness
              show
              > up as MISC which is correct.
              >
              > Also, is there any disadvantage to using the RSRD version of the
              core
              > rules instead of the CM ones. Or how can I add the templates to the
              > CM ones?
              >
              > If I use the RSRD base data sets, is there any problem adding CM
              data
              > sets for other books with them?
              >
              > Thanks a ton the help!
              >

              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > On 2/12/2006 9:48 AM astrocat01 wrote
              > > > Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:
              > > >
              > > > Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves
              > > >
              > > > This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using
              > 5.10.1
              > > > and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
              > > > loaded.
              > > >
              > > > Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the
              > familiar's
              > > > abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools
              > would
              > > > take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in
              > > > PCGen completely?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for the help.
              > > >

              > > The open source data sets for PCGen handle familiars just fine.
              You
              > need
              > > to chat with the CMP guys on their boards about these issues as
              > they
              > > would appear to be related to the data sets you are using rather
              > than
              > > the program itself.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Cheers,
              > > James Dempsey
              > > PCGen Code SB

            • astrocat01
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                Actually it doesn't work. :( I added the missing line to the template
                but the RSRD version will automatically add Alertness when you get a
                familiar and it will list the alertness feat on your character sheet.
                I just added the line to the CMP: phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_template.lst
                but that is not enough.

                Where do I add information so that it will make this all happen
                automatically and add Alertness to the feat list on the character
                sheet, like the RSRD version?

              • astrocat01
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                  This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
                  as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
                  stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                  worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                • Tir Gwaith
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                    Dude, they have a completely separately maintained dataset tree.

                    We have the advantage of Code Monkeys and Data Monkeys working
                    together at the same time in alpha development to get all the changes
                    included. Since they use the Stable for releases, they have to play
                    'catch up'.

                    Let them know what you need (on _their_ forums) and they can get
                    things included and fixed. If they don't get feedback, they won't be
                    able to do anything. _Please_ let them know where they maintain it.
                    They shouldn't have to follow our open source lists to watch for
                    issues in their sets.

                    On 12/2/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
                    > This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
                    > as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
                    > stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                    > worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                    PCGen LST Chimp
                  • astrocat01
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                      Understood, I'll keep letting them know over at their forums. Thanks.

                      > Dude, they have a completely separately maintained dataset tree.
                      >
                      > We have the advantage of Code Monkeys and Data Monkeys working
                      > together at the same time in alpha development to get all the
                      changes
                      > included. Since they use the Stable for releases, they have to play
                      > 'catch up'.
                      >
                      > Let them know what you need (on _their_ forums) and they can get
                      > things included and fixed. If they don't get feedback, they won't
                      be
                      > able to do anything. _Please_ let them know where they maintain it.
                      > They shouldn't have to follow our open source lists to watch for
                      > issues in their sets.
                      >
                      > On 12/2/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
                      > > This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw
                      thing
                      > > as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of
                      this
                      > > stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                      > > worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)
                      >
                      > --
                      > Tir Gwaith
                      > PCGen LST Chimp

                    • Terry FitzSimons
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
                        On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:20:26 -0000, "astrocat01" <astrocat@...>
                        wrote:

                        >This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
                        >as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
                        >stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                        >worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                        Which is why I started transferring CMP's datasets over to PcGen's Core
                        products, it was less of a headachy in the long run. I think that the CMP
                        conversion from previous versions to the new stable just wasn't fully
                        carried out.

                        Terry
                      • barak@hughes.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
                          astrocat sez:
                          >stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                          >worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                          They're not missing stuff... they follow the rules.

                          Alertness is granted only when your familiar is within arms reach, so
                          it should NOT be applied on a constant basis (and is not in CMP sets,
                          nor will it ever be). Where the Open Source team is free to do as they
                          wish with the OGL material, CMP *must* follow the rules set out by WotC
                          due to the contract/license (yes, even thought the contract was not
                          renewed, for the next two years we are operating under the last version
                          in effect in regards to content, etc.).

                          terry sez:
                          -- I think that the CMP conversion from previous versions to the new
                          stable
                          -- just wasn't fully carried out.

                          Depends on what you mean by "fully carried out" and "conversion"...
                          all datasets load and work in 5.10.1, which means they were all
                          converted.

                          Do they take advantage of all the new capabilities? No. Will they
                          eventually? Yes. But it will take time. Why? Becasue CMP has 150+
                          datasets and fewer data workers than the Open Source team (who have far
                          fewer datasets to work with).

                          So, be patient and ask for things you'd like to see the CMP datasets
                          doing on their forums. Since I have a small bit to do with that stuff,
                          I'll tell you now that we'll hit stuff that people ask for first. :)

                          Barak