New help... Wizard's familiar?

  • astrocat01
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
      Ok, etools used to add the familiar to your character and add in the
      bonuses (skills and feats) it gives you. I don't see PCGen doing this.

      Actually it seems to not be even listing the added feat Alertness to
      the familiar at all.

      Any help or adivce for working with familiar's?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006

        astrocat01 wrote:
        > Ok, etools used to add the familiar to your character and add in the
        > bonuses (skills and feats) it gives you. I don't see PCGen doing this.

        After you add a proper familiar, look at the master for all the changes.
        In order to get detailed help, it would help if you told us what
        familiar are you adding and the bonus you are expecting to see.
        Example: Toad gives 3 HP. Open the HP Dialog Button on the Summary page
        and you'd see the HP has increased by 3.
        Another thing is which version of the program are you using and which
        data sets have you loaded. If you are using CMP Data sets then you'd
        need to ask them on their forums as they have their sets done
        differently from the standard sets.
        > Actually it seems to not be even listing the added feat Alertness to
        > the familiar at all.

        It won't, Familiars don't get the Alertness Feat. The
        Wizard/Sorcerer/Spell caster does. There is also under resources tab,
        Temp Bonuses > Familiar within Arms Reach is selectable for all full
        bonuses.

        > Any help or adivce for working with familiar's?

        Well, besides that... Let me know if that helps or works. If not give a
        detailed description of what familiar and associated things are not
        working or you aren't seeing.
        > Thanks!

      • astrocat01
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
          Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:

          Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves

          This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using 5.10.1
          and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
          loaded.

          Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the familiar's
          abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools would
          take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in to
          PCGen completely?

          Thanks for the help.

          http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
          > > PCGen's Online Docs:
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006

            On 2/12/2006 9:48 AM astrocat01 wrote
            > Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:
            >
            > Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves
            >
            > This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using 5.10.1
            > and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
            > loaded.
            >
            > Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the familiar's
            > abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools would
            > take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in to
            > PCGen completely?
            >
            > Thanks for the help.

            The open source data sets for PCGen handle familiars just fine. You need
            to chat with the CMP guys on their boards about these issues as they
            would appear to be related to the data sets you are using rather than
            the program itself.

            James Dempsey
            PCGen Code SB
          • astrocat01
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
              Yeah the Codemonkey core books data sets are missing tons of the RSRD
              templates including:

              Familiar within arms reach SOURCE:Revised (v.3.5) System Reference
              Document, ClassesII.rtf Desc:While a familiar is within arm's reach,
              the master gains the Alertness feat

              Using the RSRD core books I added this and it worked. Although etools
              would do this all for you automatically I'm glad it can be done in
              PCGen.

              Is there a way to show the Saving Throw familiar bonus as a MISC
              modifier instead of as the Base. The added skills from Alertness show
              up as MISC which is correct.

              Also, is there any disadvantage to using the RSRD version of the core
              rules instead of the CM ones. Or how can I add the templates to the
              CM ones?

              If I use the RSRD base data sets, is there any problem adding CM data
              sets for other books with them?

              Thanks a ton the help!

              > On 2/12/2006 9:48 AM astrocat01 wrote
              > > Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:
              > >
              > > Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves
              > >
              > > This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using
              5.10.1
              > > and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
              > > loaded.
              > >
              > > Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the
              familiar's
              > > abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools
              would
              > > take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in to
              > > PCGen completely?
              > >
              > > Thanks for the help.
              > >

              > The open source data sets for PCGen handle familiars just fine. You
              need
              > to chat with the CMP guys on their boards about these issues as
              they
              > would appear to be related to the data sets you are using rather
              than
              > the program itself.
              >
              > --
              > Cheers,
              > James Dempsey
              > PCGen Code SB

            • astrocat01
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                I was able to add in the template to the CMP data set and it works!
                But why is this all missing from the CMP data set? Is there a bunch
                of other stuff "not working" in the CMP data sets?

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "astrocat01" <astrocat@...> wrote:

                > Yeah the Codemonkey core books data sets are missing tons of the
                RSRD
                > templates including:
                >
                > Familiar within arms reach SOURCE:Revised (v.3.5) System Reference
                > Document, ClassesII.rtf Desc:While a familiar is within arm's
                reach,
                > the master gains the Alertness feat
                >
                > Using the RSRD core books I added this and it worked. Although
                etools
                > would do this all for you automatically I'm glad it can be done in
                > PCGen.
                >
                > Is there a way to show the Saving Throw familiar bonus as a MISC
                > modifier instead of as the Base. The added skills from Alertness
                show
                > up as MISC which is correct.
                >
                > Also, is there any disadvantage to using the RSRD version of the
                core
                > rules instead of the CM ones. Or how can I add the templates to the
                > CM ones?
                >
                > If I use the RSRD base data sets, is there any problem adding CM
                data
                > sets for other books with them?
                >
                > Thanks a ton the help!
                >

                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > On 2/12/2006 9:48 AM astrocat01 wrote
                > > > Ok, I added the Weasel, and it should give me:
                > > >
                > > > Weasel Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves
                > > >
                > > > This does not show up on my characer sheet in any way. Using
                > 5.10.1
                > > > and all the Codemonkey data sets. Only the 3 core 3.5 books are
                > > > loaded.
                > > >
                > > > Alertness is not added anywhere, it's not listed on the
                > familiar's
                > > > abilities and I don't have it added to my feats either. E-tools
                > would
                > > > take of all of this for you. Are familiar's not integrated in
                > > > PCGen completely?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for the help.
                > > >

                > > The open source data sets for PCGen handle familiars just fine.
                You
                > need
                > > to chat with the CMP guys on their boards about these issues as
                > they
                > > would appear to be related to the data sets you are using rather
                > than
                > > the program itself.
                > >
                > > --
                > > Cheers,
                > > James Dempsey
                > > PCGen Code SB

              • astrocat01
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Actually it doesn't work. :( I added the missing line to the template
                  but the RSRD version will automatically add Alertness when you get a
                  familiar and it will list the alertness feat on your character sheet.
                  I just added the line to the CMP: phb_d20_fantasy_v35e_template.lst
                  but that is not enough.

                  Where do I add information so that it will make this all happen
                  automatically and add Alertness to the feat list on the character
                  sheet, like the RSRD version?

                • astrocat01
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                    This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
                    as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
                    stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                    worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                  • Tir Gwaith
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                      Dude, they have a completely separately maintained dataset tree.

                      We have the advantage of Code Monkeys and Data Monkeys working
                      together at the same time in alpha development to get all the changes
                      included. Since they use the Stable for releases, they have to play
                      'catch up'.

                      Let them know what you need (on _their_ forums) and they can get
                      things included and fixed. If they don't get feedback, they won't be
                      able to do anything. _Please_ let them know where they maintain it.
                      They shouldn't have to follow our open source lists to watch for
                      issues in their sets.

                      On 12/2/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
                      > This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
                      > as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
                      > stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                      > worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                      PCGen LST Chimp
                    • astrocat01
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                        Understood, I'll keep letting them know over at their forums. Thanks.

                        > Dude, they have a completely separately maintained dataset tree.
                        >
                        > We have the advantage of Code Monkeys and Data Monkeys working
                        > together at the same time in alpha development to get all the
                        changes
                        > included. Since they use the Stable for releases, they have to play
                        > 'catch up'.
                        >
                        > Let them know what you need (on _their_ forums) and they can get
                        > things included and fixed. If they don't get feedback, they won't
                        be
                        > able to do anything. _Please_ let them know where they maintain it.
                        > They shouldn't have to follow our open source lists to watch for
                        > issues in their sets.
                        >
                        > On 12/2/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
                        > > This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw
                        thing
                        > > as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of
                        this
                        > > stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                        > > worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)
                        >
                        > --
                        > Tir Gwaith
                        > PCGen LST Chimp

                      • Terry FitzSimons
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
                          On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:20:26 -0000, "astrocat01" <astrocat@...>
                          wrote:

                          >This is nuts ... fixed it :) and I fixed the MISC saving throw thing
                          >as well. Sheesh, I like that I can figure out how to fix all of this
                          >stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                          >worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                          Which is why I started transferring CMP's datasets over to PcGen's Core
                          products, it was less of a headachy in the long run. I think that the CMP
                          conversion from previous versions to the new stable just wasn't fully
                          carried out.

                          Terry
                        • barak@hughes.net
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
                            astrocat sez:
                            >stuff, but why are the CMP data sets missing stuff is what I'm
                            >worried about. Thanks for listening and the help! :)

                            They're not missing stuff... they follow the rules.

                            Alertness is granted only when your familiar is within arms reach, so
                            it should NOT be applied on a constant basis (and is not in CMP sets,
                            nor will it ever be). Where the Open Source team is free to do as they
                            wish with the OGL material, CMP *must* follow the rules set out by WotC
                            due to the contract/license (yes, even thought the contract was not
                            renewed, for the next two years we are operating under the last version
                            in effect in regards to content, etc.).

                            terry sez:
                            -- I think that the CMP conversion from previous versions to the new
                            stable
                            -- just wasn't fully carried out.

                            Depends on what you mean by "fully carried out" and "conversion"...
                            all datasets load and work in 5.10.1, which means they were all
                            converted.

                            Do they take advantage of all the new capabilities? No. Will they
                            eventually? Yes. But it will take time. Why? Becasue CMP has 150+
                            datasets and fewer data workers than the Open Source team (who have far
                            fewer datasets to work with).

                            So, be patient and ask for things you'd like to see the CMP datasets
                            doing on their forums. Since I have a small bit to do with that stuff,
                            I'll tell you now that we'll hit stuff that people ask for first. :)

                            Barak