Re: [pcgen] All kinds of spells problems, any help ... ?

  • Richard Bowers
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      On 12/1/06, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > astrocat01 wrote:
      > > 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
      > > inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
      > > screen.
      > >
      > I'd have to double check, but just confirm you bought a spell book in
      > the Inventory Tab, if so you should be able to port spells over without
      > any trouble.

      IIRC - I believe there's a drop down on the spellbook tab, and you have to
      pick which spellbook you're adding to. Since there's a limit to the number
      of spells in a specific spellbook, just having a spellbook isn't enough for
      it to know where to put it.

      The known spell tab is annoying to me for high-level wizards, since it
      requires finding the same spell twice (once to add it to known spells, then
      once to add it from known spells to the spell book), but as Andrew said,
      it's not normally limited for 3e/3.5e wizards.

    • astrocat01
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        Ok, first off thanks for all the help. Ok, I know what I was thinking
        on the known spells and I was confused, thanks for straightening me
        out. I was used to seeing the 2 base gained spells per level listed
        as the known spells. Actually etools doing this was actually not the
        correct thing to list on their character sheets.

        But, I double/triple checked and I have an equipped spellbook. Still
        there is no spellbook listed on the Spellbook tab.

        I am using 5.10.1

        Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?

        Thanks!

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...>
        wrote:

        > astrocat01 wrote:
        >
        > > 1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known
        Spells
        > > tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't
        list
        > > the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.
        > >
        > > 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
        > > inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
        > > screen.
        > >
        > > 3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the
        Known
        > > Spells section.
        > >
        > > What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues
        like
        > > this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping
        over
        > > to PCGen.
        >
        > For points 1 and 3: there is no maximum to known spells for wizards
        in
        > standard D&D. A wizard can learn as many spells as he can pay for.
        >
        > Point 2: works for me. Did you equip the spellbook?
        >
        > Stefan.

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
          > I am using 5.10.1
          >
          > Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?
          >
          > Thanks!

          Using RSRD, or CMP datasets? I know CMP just finished porting their
          stuff to 5.10.1, and you mentioned E-Tools, so I'm guessing you have
          it for PCGen as well. There might actually be a bug in how they've
          coded up their sets. Not sure, since I don't own CMP sets.

          I didn't have a problem getting a Spellbook stuff to come up in 5.10.1
          just now. I'm not sure how to explain it better than others have on
          this thread (I'm not the best person to explain how to do something to
          a newbie, as I've unfortunately learned the hard way a few times to
          the newbie's detriment and confusion. I'll leave that to others that
          can speak 'normal' english - I've got too much LST in mine.)

          PCGen LST Chimp
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
            Hi,

            astrocat01 wrote:
            > Ok, first off thanks for all the help. Ok, I know what I was thinking
            > on the known spells and I was confused, thanks for straightening me
            > out. I was used to seeing the 2 base gained spells per level listed
            > as the known spells. Actually etools doing this was actually not the
            > correct thing to list on their character sheets.

            No problem. How many spells a wizard gains is usually up in the air. If
            they are a generalist then the base is 2 per level, but they can also
            gain more base on which rules you follow. Basically the wizard can gain
            more than that.
            > But, I double/triple checked and I have an equipped spellbook. Still
            > there is no spellbook listed on the Spellbook tab.

            Ok, you bought a Wizard's Spellbook Blank, you went to the equipping tab
            and moved it to carried, correct?
            I made a 1st level wizard, bought a spellbook, and have it carried. Went
            to Spells tab, Known > Chose a few spells to add, then went to spellbook
            tab and see a spellbook. It worked fine for me.
            Just to make sure we are on the same page: Buying an item does not
            automatically equip or put it on your character. You need to go to the
            equipping tab and select the item you want on your character. After it's
            equipped any bonuses, or related tasks will be available at that time.
            > I am using 5.10.1

            Same here currently.
            > Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?

            Other than not having the book equipped/carried, no.
            > Thanks!
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> astrocat01 wrote:
            >>

            >>> 1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known
            >>>
            > Spells
            >
            >>> tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't
            >>>
            > list
            >
            >>> the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.
            >>>
            >>> 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
            >>> inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
            >>> screen.
            >>>
            >>> 3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the
            >>>
            > Known
            >
            >>> Spells section.
            >>>
            >>> What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues
            >>>
            > like
            >
            >>> this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping
            >>>
            > over
            >
            >>> to PCGen.
            >>>
            >> For points 1 and 3: there is no maximum to known spells for wizards
            >>
            > in
            >
            >> standard D&D. A wizard can learn as many spells as he can pay for.
            >>
            >> Point 2: works for me. Did you equip the spellbook?
            >>
            >> Stefan.

          • astrocat01
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
              I asked over at CodeMonkeys and it seems some code is missing from
              their data sets. So, basically currently the CodeMonkey's version
              doesn't do spell books at all. I think they are going to update, but
              I don't know for sure.

              > > I am using 5.10.1
              > >
              > > Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              >
              > Using RSRD, or CMP datasets? I know CMP just finished porting their
              > stuff to 5.10.1, and you mentioned E-Tools, so I'm guessing you have
              > it for PCGen as well. There might actually be a bug in how they've
              > coded up their sets. Not sure, since I don't own CMP sets.
              >
              > I didn't have a problem getting a Spellbook stuff to come up in
              5.10.1
              > just now. I'm not sure how to explain it better than others have on
              > this thread (I'm not the best person to explain how to do something
              > a newbie, as I've unfortunately learned the hard way a few times to
              > the newbie's detriment and confusion. I'll leave that to others
              that
              > can speak 'normal' english - I've got too much LST in mine.)
              >
              > --
              > Tir Gwaith
              > PCGen LST Chimp

            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                On 12/1/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
                > I asked over at CodeMonkeys and it seems some code is missing from
                > their data sets. So, basically currently the CodeMonkey's version
                > doesn't do spell books at all. I think they are going to update, but
                > I don't know for sure.

                Kewl. They'll get it updated. May take a couple weeks.

                PCGen LST Chimp
              • James Dempsey
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Hi,

                  On 2/12/2006 9:25 AM astrocat01 wrote
                  > I asked over at CodeMonkeys and it seems some code is missing from
                  > their data sets. So, basically currently the CodeMonkey's version
                  > doesn't do spell books at all. I think they are going to update, but
                  > I don't know for sure.

                  You can make this change yourself if you like. The usual warnings about
                  making sure you have backups and using a text editor like notepad,
                  textpad etc rather than word or wordpad apply of course. :)

                  To change a normal 3.5 spellbook to appear on the spellbook tab and have
                  pages handled etc, edit the entry for the spellbook equipment item and add
                  .Spellbook

                  to the TYPE entry for the spellbook and then at the end of the line add
                  [tab]NUMPAGES:100[tab]PAGEUSAGE:max(SPELLLEVEL,1)

                  replacing the [tab] text with the tab character (PCGen uses this to
                  separate fields).

                  Now when you equip the spellbook, you can add spells to it from the
                  spells tab and it will track how many pages have been used etc.

                  James Dempsey
                  PCGen Code SB
                • astrocat01
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2006