Re: [pcgen] All kinds of spells problems, any help ... ?

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      astrocat01 wrote:

      > 1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known Spells
      > tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't list
      > the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.
      >
      > 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
      > inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
      > screen.
      >
      > 3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the Known
      > Spells section.
      >
      > What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues like
      > this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping over
      > to PCGen.

      For points 1 and 3: there is no maximum to known spells for wizards in
      standard D&D. A wizard can learn as many spells as he can pay for.

      Point 2: works for me. Did you equip the spellbook?

      Stefan.
    • Richard Bowers
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        On 12/1/06, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > astrocat01 wrote:
        > > 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
        > > inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
        > > screen.
        > >
        > I'd have to double check, but just confirm you bought a spell book in
        > the Inventory Tab, if so you should be able to port spells over without
        > any trouble.

        IIRC - I believe there's a drop down on the spellbook tab, and you have to
        pick which spellbook you're adding to. Since there's a limit to the number
        of spells in a specific spellbook, just having a spellbook isn't enough for
        it to know where to put it.

        The known spell tab is annoying to me for high-level wizards, since it
        requires finding the same spell twice (once to add it to known spells, then
        once to add it from known spells to the spell book), but as Andrew said,
        it's not normally limited for 3e/3.5e wizards.

      • astrocat01
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
          Ok, first off thanks for all the help. Ok, I know what I was thinking
          on the known spells and I was confused, thanks for straightening me
          out. I was used to seeing the 2 base gained spells per level listed
          as the known spells. Actually etools doing this was actually not the
          correct thing to list on their character sheets.

          But, I double/triple checked and I have an equipped spellbook. Still
          there is no spellbook listed on the Spellbook tab.

          I am using 5.10.1

          Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?

          Thanks!

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...>
          wrote:

          > astrocat01 wrote:
          >
          > > 1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known
          Spells
          > > tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't
          list
          > > the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.
          > >
          > > 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
          > > inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
          > > screen.
          > >
          > > 3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the
          Known
          > > Spells section.
          > >
          > > What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues
          like
          > > this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping
          over
          > > to PCGen.
          >
          > For points 1 and 3: there is no maximum to known spells for wizards
          in
          > standard D&D. A wizard can learn as many spells as he can pay for.
          >
          > Point 2: works for me. Did you equip the spellbook?
          >
          > Stefan.

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
            > I am using 5.10.1
            >
            > Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?
            >
            > Thanks!

            Using RSRD, or CMP datasets? I know CMP just finished porting their
            stuff to 5.10.1, and you mentioned E-Tools, so I'm guessing you have
            it for PCGen as well. There might actually be a bug in how they've
            coded up their sets. Not sure, since I don't own CMP sets.

            I didn't have a problem getting a Spellbook stuff to come up in 5.10.1
            just now. I'm not sure how to explain it better than others have on
            this thread (I'm not the best person to explain how to do something to
            a newbie, as I've unfortunately learned the hard way a few times to
            the newbie's detriment and confusion. I'll leave that to others that
            can speak 'normal' english - I've got too much LST in mine.)

            PCGen LST Chimp
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006

              astrocat01 wrote:
              > Ok, first off thanks for all the help. Ok, I know what I was thinking
              > on the known spells and I was confused, thanks for straightening me
              > out. I was used to seeing the 2 base gained spells per level listed
              > as the known spells. Actually etools doing this was actually not the
              > correct thing to list on their character sheets.

              No problem. How many spells a wizard gains is usually up in the air. If
              they are a generalist then the base is 2 per level, but they can also
              gain more base on which rules you follow. Basically the wizard can gain
              more than that.
              > But, I double/triple checked and I have an equipped spellbook. Still
              > there is no spellbook listed on the Spellbook tab.

              Ok, you bought a Wizard's Spellbook Blank, you went to the equipping tab
              and moved it to carried, correct?
              I made a 1st level wizard, bought a spellbook, and have it carried. Went
              to Spells tab, Known > Chose a few spells to add, then went to spellbook
              tab and see a spellbook. It worked fine for me.
              Just to make sure we are on the same page: Buying an item does not
              automatically equip or put it on your character. You need to go to the
              equipping tab and select the item you want on your character. After it's
              equipped any bonuses, or related tasks will be available at that time.
              > I am using 5.10.1

              Same here currently.
              > Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?

              Other than not having the book equipped/carried, no.
              > Thanks!
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> astrocat01 wrote:
              >>

              >>> 1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known
              >>>
              > Spells
              >
              >>> tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't
              >>>
              > list
              >
              >>> the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.
              >>>
              >>> 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
              >>> inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
              >>> screen.
              >>>
              >>> 3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the
              >>>
              > Known
              >
              >>> Spells section.
              >>>
              >>> What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues
              >>>
              > like
              >
              >>> this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping
              >>>
              > over
              >
              >>> to PCGen.
              >>>
              >> For points 1 and 3: there is no maximum to known spells for wizards
              >>
              > in
              >
              >> standard D&D. A wizard can learn as many spells as he can pay for.
              >>
              >> Point 2: works for me. Did you equip the spellbook?
              >>
              >> Stefan.

            • astrocat01
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                I asked over at CodeMonkeys and it seems some code is missing from
                their data sets. So, basically currently the CodeMonkey's version
                doesn't do spell books at all. I think they are going to update, but
                I don't know for sure.

                > > I am using 5.10.1
                > >
                > > Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                >
                > Using RSRD, or CMP datasets? I know CMP just finished porting their
                > stuff to 5.10.1, and you mentioned E-Tools, so I'm guessing you have
                > it for PCGen as well. There might actually be a bug in how they've
                > coded up their sets. Not sure, since I don't own CMP sets.
                >
                > I didn't have a problem getting a Spellbook stuff to come up in
                5.10.1
                > just now. I'm not sure how to explain it better than others have on
                > this thread (I'm not the best person to explain how to do something
                > a newbie, as I've unfortunately learned the hard way a few times to
                > the newbie's detriment and confusion. I'll leave that to others
                that
                > can speak 'normal' english - I've got too much LST in mine.)
                >
                > --
                > Tir Gwaith
                > PCGen LST Chimp

              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                  On 12/1/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
                  > I asked over at CodeMonkeys and it seems some code is missing from
                  > their data sets. So, basically currently the CodeMonkey's version
                  > doesn't do spell books at all. I think they are going to update, but
                  > I don't know for sure.

                  Kewl. They'll get it updated. May take a couple weeks.

                  PCGen LST Chimp
                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006

                    On 2/12/2006 9:25 AM astrocat01 wrote
                    > I asked over at CodeMonkeys and it seems some code is missing from
                    > their data sets. So, basically currently the CodeMonkey's version
                    > doesn't do spell books at all. I think they are going to update, but
                    > I don't know for sure.

                    You can make this change yourself if you like. The usual warnings about
                    making sure you have backups and using a text editor like notepad,
                    textpad etc rather than word or wordpad apply of course. :)

                    To change a normal 3.5 spellbook to appear on the spellbook tab and have
                    pages handled etc, edit the entry for the spellbook equipment item and add
                    .Spellbook

                    to the TYPE entry for the spellbook and then at the end of the line add
                    [tab]NUMPAGES:100[tab]PAGEUSAGE:max(SPELLLEVEL,1)

                    replacing the [tab] text with the tab character (PCGen uses this to
                    separate fields).

                    Now when you equip the spellbook, you can add spells to it from the
                    spells tab and it will track how many pages have been used etc.

                    James Dempsey
                    PCGen Code SB
                  • astrocat01
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2006