All kinds of spells problems, any help ... ?

  • astrocat01
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      Ok trying to create a wizard. Here are my issues:

      1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known Spells
      tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't list
      the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.

      2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
      inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
      screen.

      3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the Known
      Spells section.

      What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues like
      this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping over
      to PCGen.

      Thanks for the help I really appreciate it, I need it for sure!
    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        astrocat01 wrote:

        > 1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known Spells
        > tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't list
        > the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.
        >
        > 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
        > inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
        > screen.
        >
        > 3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the Known
        > Spells section.
        >
        > What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues like
        > this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping over
        > to PCGen.

        For points 1 and 3: there is no maximum to known spells for wizards in
        standard D&D. A wizard can learn as many spells as he can pay for.

        Point 2: works for me. Did you equip the spellbook?

        Stefan.
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hi,

          astrocat01 wrote:
          > Ok trying to create a wizard. Here are my issues:
          >
          > 1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known Spells
          > tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't list
          > the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.

          There is no 'max' known spells for wizards. You are thinking Sorcerer.
          If you make a Sorcerer then you'll get a max known spells limit.
          > 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
          > inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
          > screen.

          I'd have to double check, but just confirm you bought a spell book in
          the Inventory Tab, if so you should be able to port spells over without
          any trouble. If you are making a sorcerer then a spell book is pointless.
          Just for completeness sake, which version of PCGen do you have? And do
          you have the latest Java installed?
          > 3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the Known
          > Spells section.

          Again, only Bards and Sorcerers have a Known Spell limit. Everyone else
          ignores that and is allowed as many spells as per the rules.
          > What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues like
          > this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping over
          > to PCGen.

          I certainly would hope a Wizard created on e-tools wasn't limited with a
          known spell limit. That would have made them woefully underpowered. As
          always ask and you will get answers.
          > Thanks for the help I really appreciate it, I need it for sure!

          No problem. When in doubt ask, there are many people with the
          knowledgeable answers you want.

        • Richard Bowers
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
            On 12/1/06, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > astrocat01 wrote:
            > > 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
            > > inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
            > > screen.
            > >
            > I'd have to double check, but just confirm you bought a spell book in
            > the Inventory Tab, if so you should be able to port spells over without
            > any trouble.

            IIRC - I believe there's a drop down on the spellbook tab, and you have to
            pick which spellbook you're adding to. Since there's a limit to the number
            of spells in a specific spellbook, just having a spellbook isn't enough for
            it to know where to put it.

            The known spell tab is annoying to me for high-level wizards, since it
            requires finding the same spell twice (once to add it to known spells, then
            once to add it from known spells to the spell book), but as Andrew said,
            it's not normally limited for 3e/3.5e wizards.

          • astrocat01
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
              Ok, first off thanks for all the help. Ok, I know what I was thinking
              on the known spells and I was confused, thanks for straightening me
              out. I was used to seeing the 2 base gained spells per level listed
              as the known spells. Actually etools doing this was actually not the
              correct thing to list on their character sheets.

              But, I double/triple checked and I have an equipped spellbook. Still
              there is no spellbook listed on the Spellbook tab.

              I am using 5.10.1

              Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?

              Thanks!

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...>
              wrote:

              > astrocat01 wrote:
              >
              > > 1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known
              Spells
              > > tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't
              list
              > > the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.
              > >
              > > 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
              > > inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
              > > screen.
              > >
              > > 3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the
              Known
              > > Spells section.
              > >
              > > What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues
              like
              > > this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping
              over
              > > to PCGen.
              >
              > For points 1 and 3: there is no maximum to known spells for wizards
              in
              > standard D&D. A wizard can learn as many spells as he can pay for.
              >
              > Point 2: works for me. Did you equip the spellbook?
              >
              > Stefan.

            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                > I am using 5.10.1
                >
                > Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?
                >
                > Thanks!

                Using RSRD, or CMP datasets? I know CMP just finished porting their
                stuff to 5.10.1, and you mentioned E-Tools, so I'm guessing you have
                it for PCGen as well. There might actually be a bug in how they've
                coded up their sets. Not sure, since I don't own CMP sets.

                I didn't have a problem getting a Spellbook stuff to come up in 5.10.1
                just now. I'm not sure how to explain it better than others have on
                this thread (I'm not the best person to explain how to do something to
                a newbie, as I've unfortunately learned the hard way a few times to
                the newbie's detriment and confusion. I'll leave that to others that
                can speak 'normal' english - I've got too much LST in mine.)

                PCGen LST Chimp
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Hi,

                  astrocat01 wrote:
                  > Ok, first off thanks for all the help. Ok, I know what I was thinking
                  > on the known spells and I was confused, thanks for straightening me
                  > out. I was used to seeing the 2 base gained spells per level listed
                  > as the known spells. Actually etools doing this was actually not the
                  > correct thing to list on their character sheets.

                  No problem. How many spells a wizard gains is usually up in the air. If
                  they are a generalist then the base is 2 per level, but they can also
                  gain more base on which rules you follow. Basically the wizard can gain
                  more than that.
                  > But, I double/triple checked and I have an equipped spellbook. Still
                  > there is no spellbook listed on the Spellbook tab.

                  Ok, you bought a Wizard's Spellbook Blank, you went to the equipping tab
                  and moved it to carried, correct?
                  I made a 1st level wizard, bought a spellbook, and have it carried. Went
                  to Spells tab, Known > Chose a few spells to add, then went to spellbook
                  tab and see a spellbook. It worked fine for me.
                  Just to make sure we are on the same page: Buying an item does not
                  automatically equip or put it on your character. You need to go to the
                  equipping tab and select the item you want on your character. After it's
                  equipped any bonuses, or related tasks will be available at that time.
                  > I am using 5.10.1

                  Same here currently.
                  > Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?

                  Other than not having the book equipped/carried, no.
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  >> astrocat01 wrote:
                  >>

                  >>> 1. It allows me to add as many spells as I like in the known
                  >>>
                  > Spells
                  >
                  >>> tab, even more than I am supposed to be able to. And, it doesn't
                  >>>
                  > list
                  >
                  >>> the max amount of known spells per level anywhere that I can see.
                  >>>
                  >>> 2. I can't add spells to my spellbook. It says put one in your
                  >>> inventory, which I have but it does not show up in the spellbook
                  >>> screen.
                  >>>
                  >>> 3. When I look at my character sheet it list all "0"s for the
                  >>>
                  > Known
                  >
                  >>> Spells section.
                  >>>
                  >>> What is going on? I hate to say it but I didn't have any issues
                  >>>
                  > like
                  >
                  >>> this with etools, I'm hoping I didn't make a bad mistake jumping
                  >>>
                  > over
                  >
                  >>> to PCGen.
                  >>>
                  >> For points 1 and 3: there is no maximum to known spells for wizards
                  >>
                  > in
                  >
                  >> standard D&D. A wizard can learn as many spells as he can pay for.
                  >>
                  >> Point 2: works for me. Did you equip the spellbook?
                  >>
                  >> Stefan.

                • astrocat01
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                    I asked over at CodeMonkeys and it seems some code is missing from
                    their data sets. So, basically currently the CodeMonkey's version
                    doesn't do spell books at all. I think they are going to update, but
                    I don't know for sure.

                    > > I am using 5.10.1
                    > >
                    > > Any ideas why I can't get the spellbook to show up?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Using RSRD, or CMP datasets? I know CMP just finished porting their
                    > stuff to 5.10.1, and you mentioned E-Tools, so I'm guessing you have
                    > it for PCGen as well. There might actually be a bug in how they've
                    > coded up their sets. Not sure, since I don't own CMP sets.
                    >
                    > I didn't have a problem getting a Spellbook stuff to come up in
                    5.10.1
                    > just now. I'm not sure how to explain it better than others have on
                    > this thread (I'm not the best person to explain how to do something
                    > a newbie, as I've unfortunately learned the hard way a few times to
                    > the newbie's detriment and confusion. I'll leave that to others
                    that
                    > can speak 'normal' english - I've got too much LST in mine.)
                    >
                    > --
                    > Tir Gwaith
                    > PCGen LST Chimp

                  • Tir Gwaith
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                      On 12/1/06, astrocat01 <astrocat@...> wrote:
                      > I asked over at CodeMonkeys and it seems some code is missing from
                      > their data sets. So, basically currently the CodeMonkey's version
                      > doesn't do spell books at all. I think they are going to update, but
                      > I don't know for sure.

                      Kewl. They'll get it updated. May take a couple weeks.

                      PCGen LST Chimp
                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                        Hi,

                        On 2/12/2006 9:25 AM astrocat01 wrote
                        > I asked over at CodeMonkeys and it seems some code is missing from
                        > their data sets. So, basically currently the CodeMonkey's version
                        > doesn't do spell books at all. I think they are going to update, but
                        > I don't know for sure.

                        You can make this change yourself if you like. The usual warnings about
                        making sure you have backups and using a text editor like notepad,
                        textpad etc rather than word or wordpad apply of course. :)

                        To change a normal 3.5 spellbook to appear on the spellbook tab and have
                        pages handled etc, edit the entry for the spellbook equipment item and add
                        .Spellbook

                        to the TYPE entry for the spellbook and then at the end of the line add
                        [tab]NUMPAGES:100[tab]PAGEUSAGE:max(SPELLLEVEL,1)

                        replacing the [tab] text with the tab character (PCGen uses this to
                        separate fields).

                        Now when you equip the spellbook, you can add spells to it from the
                        spells tab and it will track how many pages have been used etc.

                        James Dempsey
                        PCGen Code SB
                      • astrocat01
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 2, 2006