World of Warcraft

  • leginee
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
      Hello all,

      I bought the Core Rulebook of the World of Warcraft RPG. I like the
      design and would like to test it. But as I am not a fan of D&D in
      general I am pretty not skilled in the system
      I would like to put some helper to support me in makeing my GM
      decission and stuff.

      Now WoW is a modfied D&D 3.5 With some hause rules I think. Well at
      least I find a lot of rulez again in the SRD.

      Anyone knows where I can get resources so I can click some characters
      together and stuff?

      I do not need big explanations just the basic classes and their
      abilities and maybe the WoW specific Feats...

      Okey I know you would need the rights from Blizzard and Sword &uhh yea
      you certeinly know who I mean. But the basics shouldnt be the problem
      to use would it?

      Can anybody help?

      Sidenote. I did read the documentation where I thopught I might learn
      some stuff. I did not. Maybe I am streight looking at WoW Rulebook.
      But then again I do not know D&D very well. Maybe you can adjust the
      SRD to the sets maybe not. I do not know.

      Thanks for the Help
      Peter
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
        > Anyone knows where I can get resources so I can click some
        > characters together and stuff?

        At the moment, because we don't have permission to distribute this dataset, the only resource available to you is to code it yourself.

        > Okey I know you would need the rights from Blizzard and Sword
        > &uhh yea you certeinly know who I mean. But the basics shouldnt
        > be the problem to use would it?

        > Sidenote. I did read the documentation where I thopught I might
        > learn some stuff. I did not.

        What were you looking for in the docs?

        > Maybe I am streight looking at WoW Rulebook. But then again I do
        > not know D&D very well. Maybe you can adjust the SRD to the sets
        > maybe not. I do not know.

        Not sure what you mean here. The SRD dataset is based upon the SRD published by WotC. If anything in that set needs modified for another source, then that source's datasets need to do the modifications.

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD
      • Axel
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
          I could probably help you, I don't know WoW, so send the details of what you want and I'll see what I can do ;)

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
            Thanks the fast answer. Both of you.

            >> Sidenote. I did read the documentation where I thopught I might
            >> learn some stuff. I did not.
            >>

            > What were you looking for in the docs?

            Well Sword&Sorcery stuff seems to be quite popular. A note whats with
            them would be nice. But I just realy wanted to say that I did not find
            any reference of WoW. Maybe makeing a small page that holds D20
            Supplemental not supported due Copyrights would be nice. I mean
            something wiki like would do. without the prediction to be complete of
            course.

            >> Maybe I am streight looking at WoW Rulebook. But then again I do
            >> not know D&D very well. Maybe you can adjust the SRD to the sets
            >> maybe not. I do not know.
            >>

            > Not sure what you mean here. The SRD dataset is based upon the SRD published by WotC. If anything in that set needs modified for another source, then that source's datasets need to do the modifications.

            The Rules from WoW are pretty close to SRD stuff. I have seen an option
            houserules, maybe with adjusting these Options I can get pretty close to
            the WoW system modifications.
            That what I was thinking about

            Thanks for the offer of helping. I will come back if I am realy want to
            do it.
          • oggmosh
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2006
              Without permission from Swords & Sorcery Studios or Blizzard
              Entertainment, we can't publish any datasets for WoW RPG, so you won't
              find any mention of them in any of the PCGen files.

              It's possible to create PCGen files for your own use, based on the WoW
              RPG. It's quite a lot of work, and you probably won't be allowed to
              distribute them - I have received a denial of permission from both
              White Wolf and Blizzard myself.

              WoW RPG does vary from the SRD in a few major ways, which all need to
              be coded in.

              - It uses Stamina and Agility instead of Constitution and Dexterity,
              which makes using any other PCGen files with it impossible, if you
              change the base stats in a GameMode.
              - Spellcasting is slightly different - no need to "memorise" three
              copies of the same spell any more!
              - The only classes that are the same as the SRD are Warrior (from
              standard Fighter), Rogue (but with Backstab instead of Sneak Attack)
              and Barbarian. Paladin has some similarities to the standard paladin;
              Mage, Necromancer and Warlock are all different "paths" of the
              Arcanist class (with d6 HD); and Priest, Shaman and Druid are all
              "paths" of the Healer class (with d8 HD and no plate armor).
              - The spell lists are quite different, with many new spells.
              - Many standard feats are not listed, and many new WoW-specific feats
              are listed in the book.
              - Races are not the standard SRD races. Goblin, Human, Night Elf,
              Gnome, Dwarf, Orc, Jungle Troll, Tauren and Forsaken (undead) are the
              base WoW races. They don't use the same stats as the SRD races of the
              same names.

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Peter kovacs <legine@...> wrote:

              > Thanks the fast answer. Both of you.
              >
              > >> Sidenote. I did read the documentation where I thopught I might
              > >> learn some stuff. I did not.
              > >>

              > > What were you looking for in the docs?
              > >
              > Well Sword&Sorcery stuff seems to be quite popular. A note whats with
              > them would be nice. But I just realy wanted to say that I did not find
              > any reference of WoW. Maybe makeing a small page that holds D20
              > Supplemental not supported due Copyrights would be nice. I mean
              > something wiki like would do. without the prediction to be complete of
              > course.
              > >
              > >> Maybe I am streight looking at WoW Rulebook. But then again I do
              > >> not know D&D very well. Maybe you can adjust the SRD to the sets
              > >> maybe not. I do not know.
              > >>

              > > Not sure what you mean here. The SRD dataset is based upon the SRD
              published by WotC. If anything in that set needs modified for another
              source, then that source's datasets need to do the modifications.

              > The Rules from WoW are pretty close to SRD stuff. I have seen an option
              > houserules, maybe with adjusting these Options I can get pretty close to
              > the WoW system modifications.
              > That what I was thinking about
              >
              > Thanks for the offer of helping. I will come back if I am realy want to
              > do it.

            • Peter kovacs
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
                Well, It says.
                "This printing of World of Warcraft (R) the Roleplaying game is
                published in accordance with the Open Gameing license
                They say that some names are reserved. Whatever that means for makeing
                an addon.

                I am on the Licence thing. Will be back when I know more.

                Cheers the info
                Legine

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
                  It may be OGL, but PCGen, as an entity, always seeks the developer's
                  permission as a common courtesy. The Malhavoc Press/Monte Cook is
                  another good example of OGL, the publisher (The Cooks), for their own
                  reasons, choose not to allow us permission to make data sets for certain
                  product lines. But as many others have pointed out, you can create your
                  own custom data set and we will gladly assist in helping out in your
                  coding quest. Ask over at the lsthelp forums for coding help. Good Luck. :)

                  Cheers,
                  Andrew