Re: [pcgen] [Aaron] PCGen and other languages

  • boomer70
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
      --- Aubé Philippe <tymophil@...> wrote:

      > One problem with translated Data Sets is that a
      > translating them is not
      > enough... You need to translate things outside the
      > data set. For
      > example, the Stats and Saves have to be
      > translated...
      >
      > Translating the data sets can also be dangerous, as
      > some things have
      > several use. For example, I had trouble with the
      > shields. When I tried
      > to tnaslate it into "bouclier" I found that this
      > word had several uses.
      >
      > I think it would be better to have some
      > OUTPUTNAME_fr and DESC_fr tags,
      > as evrything else would remain untouched and could
      > still be used in code...
      >
      > Moreover, this way if something is incompletly
      > translated, you just have
      > a English term displayed on the Character sheet...
      > Later to be replaced
      > by its traduction when it becomes available. Right
      > now, everytime you
      > translate the name of a piece of equipment, the
      > character becomes faulty...
      >
      > My two cents of euro...
      >
      > Philippe

      There are certainly issues with translating the data
      files "in place". That is, copying the file and
      changing the text in question. However, at the moment
      that is all the code can support so that is how it is
      done.

      To answer your specific concern, if you are changing
      the name of an object you MUST have a KEY: tag in the
      object containing the original english name. This is
      so that other objects referencing that object will
      still be able to find it. Full (or at least 95%)
      support of KEY tag in objects was only recently added
      (5.10.1 at the earliest I think 5.11 is more likely).

      Ideally what I would like to see is have any
      translatable text reference a translation key that is
      looked up in the appropriate language file. As an
      example you might have a DESC tag for a Shield that
      says:
      DESC:trans_Shield_Desc

      Then in an english file you would have:
      trans_Shield_Desc=Shield
      and the french file would have
      trans_Shield_Desc=bouclier

      Support in the code for this mechanism is still a ways
      a way however.

      -Aaron

      Aaron Divinsky

      Sponsored Link

      Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $420k for $1,399/mo.
      Calculate new payment!
      http://www.LowerMyBills.com/lre