Re: [pcgen] Building PCGen

  • barak@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006
      ----Original Message----
      > > re-installed the JDK in case something got mixed up when I changed

      > The problem is that the default Java on your machine is the 1.5 Java
      Runtime
      > Environment (JRE) rather than the Software Development Kit (SDK).
      The JRE
      > doesn't include a Java compiler. You can download the SDK from
      > http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

      Err... you missed that last line up there eh? I just re-downloaded
      and re-installed the SDK this morning before trying to do the build. :

      Looks like I have an environment variable not set right... thought the
      install would take care of that. *sigh*

      Time to go digging around.

      Barak
    • thpr
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "barak@..." <barak@...> wrote:
        > Err... you missed that last line up there eh? I just re-downloaded
        > and re-installed the SDK this morning before trying to do the build. >
        > Looks like I have an environment variable not set right... thought the
        > install would take care of that. *sigh*

        Try JAVA_HOME. It seems to be pointed to your JRE (hence James'
        comment about running the JRE not JDK)
      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006
          Hi,

          On 06/11/06, barak@... <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]

          I saw it, but given the information above wanted to make sure the
          distinction is clear - you obviously have it clear but I have encountered
          quite a few people who use the terms interchangeably.

          Looks like I have an environment variable not set right... thought the
          > install would take care of that. *sigh*
          >
          > Time to go digging around.

          The two most likely culprits are JAVA_HOME and your path.

          http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/install-windows.html#install might have some
          useful info too.

          James

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006

            And of course I can't figure out what should be set where.

            There is no system or environment variable that is holding the path name
            that comes out in that build failure I posted earlier, nor can I figure out
            how it is constructed in the build.xml so I can see what *its* looking at
            and figure it out that way... *sigh*

            All the java references I did find in the variables were referencing my last
            version of _08.

            Any further help would be appreciated.

            Barak
          • Barak
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006

              Ouch. Big difference. :p

              > > Time to go digging around.

              > The two most likely culprits are JAVA_HOME and your path.

              Well, not sure which it was, but I added the _09 to the path and set
              JAVA_HOME (which wasn't set anywhere that I could find) and now it happily
              builds.

              Thanks for the help!

              Barak
            • Eduard Martinescu
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
                I found that the best way to handle Java upgrades on Windows is to just
                uninstall all existing versions, and then install the new version. This
                usually results in a clean system with JAVA_HOME and PATH set up correctly.

                Of course, if you were using Linux, there wouldn't be this problem of a
                split JRE/JDK install. :)

                Ed