Re: [pcgen] Building PCGen

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006
      Hi Barak,

      On 05/11/06, Barak <barak@...> wrote:

      > Help!
      >
      > I haven't actually done a build in months. I tried to today and it's not
      > working. Any help appreciated. :p
      >
      > Following is from the attempt to build (** are notes inserted by me):
      >
      > Unable to locate tools.jar. Expected to find it in C:\Program
      > Files\Java\jre1.5.
      > 0_09\lib\tools.jar
      >
      > ** - I checked and this file does exist in the directory listed (I even
      > re-installed the JDK in case something got mixed up when I changed
      > machines)

      The problem is that the default Java on your machine is the 1.5 Java Runtime
      Environment (JRE) rather than the Software Development Kit (SDK). The JRE
      doesn't include a Java compiler. You can download the SDK from
      http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

      James Dempsey
      PCGen Code SB

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006
        > > re-installed the JDK in case something got mixed up when I changed

        > The problem is that the default Java on your machine is the 1.5 Java
        Runtime
        > Environment (JRE) rather than the Software Development Kit (SDK).
        The JRE
        > doesn't include a Java compiler. You can download the SDK from
        > http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

        Err... you missed that last line up there eh? I just re-downloaded
        and re-installed the SDK this morning before trying to do the build. :

        Looks like I have an environment variable not set right... thought the
        install would take care of that. *sigh*

        Time to go digging around.

        Barak
      • thpr
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "barak@..." <barak@...> wrote:
          > Err... you missed that last line up there eh? I just re-downloaded
          > and re-installed the SDK this morning before trying to do the build. >
          > Looks like I have an environment variable not set right... thought the
          > install would take care of that. *sigh*

          Try JAVA_HOME. It seems to be pointed to your JRE (hence James'
          comment about running the JRE not JDK)
        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006

            On 06/11/06, barak@... <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]

            I saw it, but given the information above wanted to make sure the
            distinction is clear - you obviously have it clear but I have encountered
            quite a few people who use the terms interchangeably.

            Looks like I have an environment variable not set right... thought the
            > install would take care of that. *sigh*
            >
            > Time to go digging around.

            The two most likely culprits are JAVA_HOME and your path.

            http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/install-windows.html#install might have some
            useful info too.

            James

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006

              And of course I can't figure out what should be set where.

              There is no system or environment variable that is holding the path name
              that comes out in that build failure I posted earlier, nor can I figure out
              how it is constructed in the build.xml so I can see what *its* looking at
              and figure it out that way... *sigh*

              All the java references I did find in the variables were referencing my last
              version of _08.

              Any further help would be appreciated.

              Barak
            • Barak
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006

                Ouch. Big difference. :p

                > > Time to go digging around.

                > The two most likely culprits are JAVA_HOME and your path.

                Well, not sure which it was, but I added the _09 to the path and set
                JAVA_HOME (which wasn't set anywhere that I could find) and now it happily
                builds.

                Thanks for the help!

                Barak
              • Eduard Martinescu
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
                  I found that the best way to handle Java upgrades on Windows is to just
                  uninstall all existing versions, and then install the new version. This
                  usually results in a clean system with JAVA_HOME and PATH set up correctly.

                  Of course, if you were using Linux, there wouldn't be this problem of a
                  split JRE/JDK install. :)

                  Ed