Re: [pcgen] [TM] PCGen and other languages

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2006
      > May I ask how it is planned ? Will we see translated data sets or will
      > we have tags in the lst files to translate only what will be dispayed ?

      The biggest thing to do is OUTPUTNAME to the language's name of the
      object, and translate the DESC (soon to be DESC.CLEAR and new DESC).
      After that, the SA's are the other major point - just changing the
      text, not the VAR names. Doing it that way means you should be able
      to change things at your own pace. Plus, it means the set is just
      .MODs, so you can incorporate mainline updates easily.

      > I tried to translate data sets, the problem is that the characters crash
      > unless *everything* is translated fine. You cannot translate things at
      > your own pace..

      PCGen LST Chimp
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
        We have an internationalisation team headed by Aaron Divinsky, he'd be
        happy to have more people on board so I've tagged him in the subject
        line. As Tir mentioned there is plenty of straight translation work
        to be done, however we still have significant code support changes to
        make as well. Unfortunately that means that internationalisation will
        not be back-ported to the 5.10.x series. It will be 5.12 (hopefully)
        or 6.0 (at the very latest) that will have internationlisation support.

        Karianna

        > > May I ask how it is planned ? Will we see translated data sets or will
        > > we have tags in the lst files to translate only what will be
        dispayed ?

        > The biggest thing to do is OUTPUTNAME to the language's name of the
        > object, and translate the DESC (soon to be DESC.CLEAR and new DESC).
        > After that, the SA's are the other major point - just changing the
        > text, not the VAR names. Doing it that way means you should be able
        > to change things at your own pace. Plus, it means the set is just
        > .MODs, so you can incorporate mainline updates easily.
        >
        > > I tried to translate data sets, the problem is that the characters
        crash
        > > unless *everything* is translated fine. You cannot translate things at
        > > your own pace..
        >
        > --
        > Tir Gwaith
        > PCGen LST Chimp

      • boomer70
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
          --- karianna03 <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

          > We have an internationalisation team headed by Aaron
          > Divinsky, he'd be
          > happy to have more people on board so I've tagged
          > him in the subject
          > line. As Tir mentioned there is plenty of straight
          > translation work
          > to be done, however we still have significant code
          > support changes to
          > make as well. Unfortunately that means that
          > internationalisation will
          > not be back-ported to the 5.10.x series. It will be
          > 5.12 (hopefully)
          > or 6.0 (at the very latest) that will have
          > internationlisation support.
          >
          > Karianna
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith"
          > <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > May I ask how it is planned ? Will we see
          > translated data sets or will
          > > > we have tags in the lst files to translate only
          > what will be
          > dispayed ?
          > >
          > > The biggest thing to do is OUTPUTNAME to the
          > language's name of the
          > > object, and translate the DESC (soon to be
          > DESC.CLEAR and new DESC).
          > > After that, the SA's are the other major point -
          > just changing the
          > > text, not the VAR names. Doing it that way means
          > you should be able
          > > to change things at your own pace. Plus, it means
          > the set is just
          > > .MODs, so you can incorporate mainline updates
          > easily.
          > >
          > > > I tried to translate data sets, the problem is
          > that the characters
          > crash
          > > > unless *everything* is translated fine. You
          > cannot translate things at
          > > > your own pace..

          The current approach is to have translated data files.
          We may change that at some point in the future
          however.

          -Aaron

          ----------------
          Aaron Divinsky

          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
          Access over 1 million songs.
          http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
        • Aubé Philippe
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
            One problem with translated Data Sets is that a translating them is not
            enough... You need to translate things outside the data set. For
            example, the Stats and Saves have to be translated...

            Translating the data sets can also be dangerous, as some things have
            several use. For example, I had trouble with the shields. When I tried
            to tnaslate it into "bouclier" I found that this word had several uses.

            I think it would be better to have some OUTPUTNAME_fr and DESC_fr tags,
            as evrything else would remain untouched and could still be used in code...

            Moreover, this way if something is incompletly translated, you just have
            a English term displayed on the Character sheet... Later to be replaced
            by its traduction when it becomes available. Right now, everytime you
            translate the name of a piece of equipment, the character becomes faulty...

            My two cents of euro...

            Philippe

            boomer70 a écrit :

            > --- karianna03 <martijnverburg@...
            > <mailto:martijnverburg%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            >
            > > We have an internationalisation team headed by Aaron
            > > Divinsky, he'd be
            > > happy to have more people on board so I've tagged
            > > him in the subject
            > > line. As Tir mentioned there is plenty of straight
            > > translation work
            > > to be done, however we still have significant code
            > > support changes to
            > > make as well. Unfortunately that means that
            > > internationalisation will
            > > not be back-ported to the 5.10.x series. It will be
            > > 5.12 (hopefully)
            > > or 6.0 (at the very latest) that will have
            > > internationlisation support.
            > >
            > > Karianna
            > >
            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tir
            > Gwaith"

            > > translated data sets or will
            > > what will be
            > > dispayed ?
            > > >
            > > > The biggest thing to do is OUTPUTNAME to the
            > > language's name of the
            > > > object, and translate the DESC (soon to be
            > > DESC.CLEAR and new DESC).
            > > > After that, the SA's are the other major point -
            > > just changing the
            > > > text, not the VAR names. Doing it that way means
            > > you should be able
            > > > to change things at your own pace. Plus, it means
            > > the set is just
            > > > .MODs, so you can incorporate mainline updates
            > > easily.

            > > that the characters
            > > crash
            > > cannot translate things at
            > > >

            > The current approach is to have translated data files.
            > We may change that at some point in the future
            > however.
            >
            > -Aaron
            >
            > ----------------
            > Aaron Divinsky
            > PCGen Docs 2nd, Data Chimp, Code Gibbon, Doc Tamarin

          • boomer70
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
              --- Aubé Philippe <tymophil@...> wrote:

              > One problem with translated Data Sets is that a
              > translating them is not
              > enough... You need to translate things outside the
              > data set. For
              > example, the Stats and Saves have to be
              > translated...
              >
              > Translating the data sets can also be dangerous, as
              > some things have
              > several use. For example, I had trouble with the
              > shields. When I tried
              > to tnaslate it into "bouclier" I found that this
              > word had several uses.
              >
              > I think it would be better to have some
              > OUTPUTNAME_fr and DESC_fr tags,
              > as evrything else would remain untouched and could
              > still be used in code...
              >
              > Moreover, this way if something is incompletly
              > translated, you just have
              > a English term displayed on the Character sheet...
              > Later to be replaced
              > by its traduction when it becomes available. Right
              > now, everytime you
              > translate the name of a piece of equipment, the
              > character becomes faulty...
              >
              > My two cents of euro...
              >
              > Philippe

              There are certainly issues with translating the data
              files "in place". That is, copying the file and
              changing the text in question. However, at the moment
              that is all the code can support so that is how it is
              done.

              To answer your specific concern, if you are changing
              the name of an object you MUST have a KEY: tag in the
              object containing the original english name. This is
              so that other objects referencing that object will
              still be able to find it. Full (or at least 95%)
              support of KEY tag in objects was only recently added
              (5.10.1 at the earliest I think 5.11 is more likely).

              Ideally what I would like to see is have any
              translatable text reference a translation key that is
              looked up in the appropriate language file. As an
              example you might have a DESC tag for a Shield that
              says:
              DESC:trans_Shield_Desc

              Then in an english file you would have:
              trans_Shield_Desc=Shield
              and the french file would have
              trans_Shield_Desc=bouclier

              Support in the code for this mechanism is still a ways
              a way however.

              -Aaron

              Aaron Divinsky

              Sponsored Link

              Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $420k for $1,399/mo.
              Calculate new payment!
              http://www.LowerMyBills.com/lre