Re: OS team

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
      We'll discuss this in the BoD, but if there are any more volunteers
      around documentation and output sheets that would be much appreciated!

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Pint" <pcgen2006@...> wrote:

      > I've just been too busy for the last 4 months or so. I don't see it
      > letting up any time soon. To be fair to the rest of the team, I think
      > that someone else besides me needs to head up OS. I'll still be around
      > and answer the OS questions that come up, but I just can't find the
      > time to sit down and work on trackers.
      >
      > The one thing that I think most holds back anyone else from working on
      > the OS, is the docs. Sorry, but way too much of it is either hard to
      > figure out, or even in a few places, wrong. IMHO, the best way to get
      > the OS team running would be to update the docs for the OS tags. Also
      > needed would be a tutorial for writing an OS. Especially in XSLT/FO.
      >
      > Chuck

    • Barak
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006

        What happened to the one I wrote a couple of years ago? It used to be in
        the docs...

        > Especially in XSLT/FO.

        And here I disagree. There are lots of tutorials at the W3C website that
        cover these two topics... I think it's completely beyond *our* scope to try
        and teach anyone XML/XSLT/XSL-FO. They are large subjects, and somewhat
        complex and why reinvent the wheel?

        We should stick with making sure our docs on token use are correct and up to
        date and show how the *tokens* are used and maybe point to locations for
        learning XML/XSLT/XSL-FO.

        Just my .02

        Barak
      • Steven Gilroy
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
          I could be wrong here, but I think he meant XSLT/FO as it pertains to
          PCGen Output sheets. Someone familiar with standard XSLT/FO may still
          be completely lost trying to create an Output sheet for PCGen.

          --

          Steven Gilroy
          http://www.ourcrazyjunk.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
            On 11/2/06, Barak <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]

            Your "Creating Character Sheet Templates" tutorial is still part of
            the docs. It is well written, but if you take a look at the effort we
            make in Data with the great number of LSTFileClasses, then having only
            one tutorial for OS looks a bit disproportionate. I think that may be
            the cause why many users shy away from creating their own sheets.

            When I think back to my first steps in OS, I started by modifying the
            existing sheets and learned from looking at these how things are
            handled in there (given that I had previous HTML experience from
            creating a Homepage - which never got online btw.). For that matter I
            believe it would be helpful for people if we could set up some
            tutorials, which would deal each with one specific element of a sheet,
            e.g. the weapons block.

            A weapon block tutorial could take a look at the different forms of
            weapon output we have in our sheets, describe why they were coded the
            way they are, looking at pitfalls and used workarounds while doing so.
            A user could learn from that what really is happening there, and more
            easily start to make his own modifications.

            That first step is often the most important, because if you have taken
            it, you gain the confidence to stay at it. So let's try to make that
            first step as easy as possible.

            Cheerio,

            Frank Kliewe
            PCGen Content Silverback

            --
            Come on now, be honest! Which one of you wouldn't rather listen to his
            hairdresser than Hercules? Or Horatius, or Orpheus... people so lofty
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006

              Excellent! I would have looked myself but didn't have PCGen on the computer
              I was replying from.

              > It is well written, but if you take a look at the effort we
              > make in Data with the great number of LSTFileClasses, then having only
              > one tutorial for OS looks a bit disproportionate. I think that may be
              > the cause why many users shy away from creating their own sheets.

              LOL. Since Tir and I wrote a majority of those .lst classes, I'm well
              aware. :P

              > believe it would be helpful for people if we could set up some
              > tutorials, which would deal each with one specific element of a sheet,
              > e.g. the weapons block.

              Ok, now this sounds much more useful/managable.

              > A weapon block tutorial could take a look at the different forms of
              > weapon output we have in our sheets, describe why they were coded the
              > way they are, looking at pitfalls and used workarounds while doing so.
              > A user could learn from that what really is happening there, and more
              > easily start to make his own modifications.

              Heh... The weapon blocks are the nastiest, ugliest part of the OS... I had
              nightmares while creating them (and am moderately pleased with the way they
              came out :p).

              I suppose that means I should write the tutorial about them since I probably
              understand them best... :/

              > That first step is often the most important, because if you have taken
              > it, you gain the confidence to stay at it. So let's try to make that
              > first step as easy as possible.

              I'll add another tutorial (for OS this time) to my to-do list. It might be
              a bit though as Real Life has been getting busier and busier recently.

              I seem to be becoming a Tutorial Monkey or something. Saints preserve us!
              :p

              On a related note, I've just about finished part 1 of the Feat tutorial I
              committed to a month ago or so (planned to be 3 parts currently, may expand
              to 4).

              Barak
            • Chuck Pint
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
                Nope, not wrong at all. That is exactly what I meant. The question of
                how the flow of base.xml to the xslt file to PDF, has kept coming up
                over and over...

                Chuck

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@...> wrote:

                > I could be wrong here, but I think he meant XSLT/FO as it pertains to
                > PCGen Output sheets. Someone familiar with standard XSLT/FO may still
                > be completely lost trying to create an Output sheet for PCGen.

              • Terry FitzSimons
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 23, 2006
                  I'm just wondering if it would be best to write a series of tutorials on
                  the various areas of the OS?

                  One as a overview of the whole process, pointing out the web lesson pages.
                  Then One on how to do the header section, place the attributes and skills
                  section all over the page, then a section on the various weapons blocks?

                  Terry

                  On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 20:14:07 -0500, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]

                • Nigel Bennington
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 23, 2006
                    I Think that would be a great idea.

                    Terry FitzSimons wrote:

                    > I'm just wondering if it would be best to write a series of tutorials on
                    > the various areas of the OS?
                    >
                    > One as a overview of the whole process, pointing out the web lesson pages.
                    > Then One on how to do the header section, place the attributes and skills
                    > section all over the page, then a section on the various weapons blocks?
                    >
                    > Terry
                    >
                    > On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 20:14:07 -0500, "Barak" <barak@...

                  • karianna03
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 24, 2006
                      Absolutely, the OS tutorial docs would be a massive benefit to the
                      team and community, I'm pretty sure we've got a OS FREQ sitting there
                      for it :-)

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Terry FitzSimons <fitzsimons@...> wrote:

                      > I'm just wondering if it would be best to write a series of tutorials on
                      > the various areas of the OS?
                      >
                      > One as a overview of the whole process, pointing out the web lesson
                      pages.
                      > Then One on how to do the header section, place the attributes and
                      skills
                      > section all over the page, then a section on the various weapons blocks?
                      >
                      > Terry

                    • MikeD (2)
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 24, 2006
                        Hello karianna03,

                        Friday, November 24, 2006, 6:37:58 AM, you wrote:

                        k> Absolutely, the OS tutorial docs would be a massive benefit to the
                        k> team and community, I'm pretty sure we've got a OS FREQ sitting there
                        k> for it :-)

                        k> K

                        k> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Terry FitzSimons <fitzsimons@...> wrote:

                        >> I'm just wondering if it would be best to write a series of tutorials on
                        >> the various areas of the OS?

                        >> One as a overview of the whole process, pointing out the web lesson
                        >> pages. Then One on how to do the header section, place the
                        >> attributes and skills section all over the page, then a section on
                        >> the various weapons blocks?

                        I would be willing to help with this, but I am lousy at the whole
                        'staring at the blank page' part. I would be glad to help with
                        editing and the like, however. Just let me know.

                        --
                        Best regards,
                        MikeD mailto:miked@...
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 27, 2006
                          > I would be willing to help with this, but I am lousy at the whole
                          > 'staring at the blank page' part. I would be glad to help with
                          > editing and the like, however. Just let me know.

                          Brilliant! Right, I've flagged the attention of Frank for this, we're
                          in definite need of new Doc Monkeys and there are plenty of 'Edit'
                          tasks (for instance our FAQ is out of date, not too mention our
                          walkthrough etc).

                          Frank will get hold of you and get you started, in the mean time
                          you'll need to get yourself sourceforge id and email that too me so I
                          can add you to the project.

                          Welcome aboard!

                          Karianna