BoD Meeting Log 10-31-05, 10:00pm EST

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> well, since Kar isn't here yet, i guess we'll start
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> Code
      <[Content_SB]Frank> I think James isn't back.
      <[Docs_2nd]Boomer> I am guessing James isn't around at the moment
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> well then, Content
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> :)
      <[Content_SB]Frank> Not much happened since the release was only a few
      day away.
      <[Content_SB]Frank> One thing we need to get going again is the LST
      syntax discussions on Experimental.
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Back now
      <[Content_SB]Frank> Tir has suggested that I do not post a big chunk
      of updates, but we keep the discussions to one item at the time, which
      seems to work better.
      <[Content_SB]Frank> Also we still need to get the OS team going. I
      haven't seen any action on that in the past weeks, except me and Kar
      poking at some stuff.
      <[Content_SB]Frank> Since the release was just recently, I'm afraid
      there is nothing more that I can report at the time.
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> thanks Frank
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> Code
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> As with content - the release was only recently and
      not much has happened since then.
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Tom has been going through doing some nice cleanup
      work and some of his recent poking at LST syntax is inspired by the
      move to consolidate the tag processing to the load process.
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> We are a bit further down the road with the Ability
      object thanks to Aaron, but we have a way to go. While this is in
      progress I think we will continue to have instabilities, so the sooner
      we can wrap it up the better
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Oh and it looks like the choosers are pretty much
      sorted out now in their new architecture. there was a lot of bug
      fixing to get it settled but I think we are there now
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Lastly, all unit tests are now passing and it is my
      aim to keep it that way
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> excellent
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Any questions?
      <[OGL]PaulG> Now what fun is that :)
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> how's the release automation coming?
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> I've made a few new improvements since the release
      on the weekend.
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> The most notable of those is that the windows
      installer now auto scans the data sources, so new sources will always
      be included.
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> The only thing we need to do for a new publisher is
      add in the proper name - the directory name is used if it isn't known
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> So I am gradually reducing the number of steps
      required to do a release, but there is a bit to go yet
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> One reminder to everyone - if you make a
      significant change - new source, new feature, something that someone
      will say "finally!" to, could you add an entry in the
      xdocs/changes.xml file please? This gets included in the release notes
      as the notable changes section at the top and the changes report in
      the autobuild
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> how long do you think it'll take to get to where you
      want it?
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> A few iterations. I'll keep the release process
      doco up to date on how a release should be done though, so hopefully
      someone else can do it if need be
      <[PL]Briarius> I don't even know what that means, so there
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> :)
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> alrighty
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Main thing is to make it quicker and easier to
      produce the alpha releases
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> right
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> anything else James?
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> That's all from me.
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> Brian - how's the responses going on your email out
      to publishers?
      * [PL]Briarius laughs...then clears his throat
      <[PL]Briarius> I have recieved 6 total responses from 30 e-mails in
      two weeks. Three of those responses being failure to deliver messages
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> lovely
      <[PL]Briarius> There are 20 publishers we don't even have contact info for
      <[PL]Briarius> Kosala from Silven, David from Gallantry, and Giltonio
      from Secular are the only ones to get back to me
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> its only been 2 weeks since you sent the messages out?
      <[PL]Briarius> I tried to e-mail Rich Thomas at White Wolf as I was
      told at gen Con Indy that he was THE MAN to e-mail regarding Sword and
      Sorcery. It bounced back undeliverable
      <[PL]Briarius> 2 weeks
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> sometimes it takes a bit to get resposnes
      <[PL]Briarius> I have posted on the BoD Yahoo Group the letter I send
      out to the publishers if y'all wanna DL it and give me any feedback on it
      <[OGL]PaulG> It looks good, I'm looking at it now :)
      <[Data_Second]mosat> ditto
      <[PL]Briarius> So...sadly, I have far less to report than I wanted
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> well, it happens
      <[PL]Briarius> I am putting together a spreadsheet of our publishers,
      their contact info, and the last time I updated their wiki entry
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> that's cool
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> anything else Brian?
      <[PL]Briarius> nope
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> alright, onto Kar's list
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> 1) fortnightly releases
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Regular release are a good thing IMO - gets people
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Are we all happy with two weeks, or is three a
      better number for this stage of development?
      <[Content_SB]Frank> Let's try for two. If it doen't work out, we can
      always push it back
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> 2 weeks sounds good to me
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> For sure
      <[OGL]PaulG> Two weeks seems a good number to me, the exitement of a
      new toy usually wears off after about a 122k and a half :)
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> we could even make it 1st and 15th of the month if
      that'd be easier target dates
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> No, fortnightly is better as I organise my time by
      days of the week rather than days of the month
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> fair enough
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> (i.e. I can work on this on the weekend, but not
      Monday nigihts for instance)
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> 2) Ability object prod
      <[PL]Briarius> I don't even know what that means, so there
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> just a prod from Kar to get the Ablity object (and
      other road map items) done
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Yes it is something we need to focus on and get
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Aaron - do you recall the lsit I sent out about the
      * [PL]Briarius knows zilch about coding the program
      <[Docs_2nd]Boomer> barely
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Any chance you could send back a list of those
      steps that you have completed please?
      <[Docs_2nd]Boomer> there is a chance :)
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> :)
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Thanks - that will let us keep track of what is
      outstanding and map out a way to the end
      <[Docs_2nd]Boomer> I wasn't really working off that list, just doing
      what i knew needed to get done to have something working. I will try
      and match that to the list though
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Hopefully there will be common ground as we need to
      be able to track what is yet to do, given it is being done by a few people
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> moving on
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> k
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> 3) CMP and 5.10.1
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> last we've heard is that CMP was looking at it
      before their server crash fiasco, and they're currently busy putting
      everything back together
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> 4) CMP and future PCGen stables
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> there are rumors floating around by non-CMP owners
      that CMP may cease PCGen support for future datasets
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> no word from the owners on if this rumor has any
      truth or not
      <[Data_Second]mosat> fresh rumors? cause I've heard that for years
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> 5) Karn would like to to see our release notes on
      the publishers' sites that have datasets in PCGen (nudge to Brian)
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> 6) CDs to game stores
      <[PL]Briarius> If they get back to me, I'm on it\
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> a while back someone (Chuck?) mentioned that he knew
      someone on how to get PCGen CDs into gaming stores
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> nothing ever came of this
      <[PR_SB]kingpaul> any questions?
      <[OGL]PaulG> Brian you might want to hit publishers forums too, might
      have better luck
      <[PL]Briarius> Got it
      <[OGL]PaulG> Well I took some of the left over GenCon CD's to my FLGS
      <[OGL]PaulG> I haven't checked back to see how they went.
      <[PL]Briarius> I have a whole bunch of the CDs from Gen Con (Bryan
      gave me a boatload)
      <[OGL]PaulG> You too? :)
      <[PL]Briarius> I'll take what i have to the local gaming store
      <[PL]Briarius> I was tempted to hand them out as I was on door patrol
      for the con
      <[OGL]PaulG> I have a con this weekend that I'll be distributing more
      of them at.
      <[Data_Second]mosat> Might be easier to do a mailer/flyer, since the
      software can be downloaded almost as easy as it can be installed from a CD
      <[OGL]PaulG> Other than that I don't know if there's a way to get
      regular distribution into game stores
      <[OGL]PaulG> Yes, but with a CD sitting there it's REALLY tempting to
      pick it up, and once you pick it up you have something tangible
      reminding you you haven't installed it yet.
      * [PR_SB]kingpaul has quit (Ping timeout)
      <[OGL]PaulG> Ubuntu has a distribution of CD's going on, I wonder how
      they do it.
      <[OGL]PaulG> Aha https://launchpad.net/
      <[PL]Briarius> Well...
      <[PL]Briarius> Any other discussion on this?
      <[OGL]PaulG> It looks like it might be a service offered through that
      website, can't tell except by creating an account and logging in.
      <[Content_SB]Frank> I was hoping to see Paul K back. If he doesn't
      come back soon, I think we're finished?
      <[PL]Briarius> The CD distribution is the last item on Kar's list
      <[Content_SB]Frank> I think I was dropped once during the chat. Does
      anyone have the complete log and can post it to the BOD list?
      <[OGL]PaulG> I do
      <[Data_Second]mosat> night guys
      <[OGL]PaulG> I'd say that's a wrap unless there's more discussion
      * [Data_Second]mosat (~[Data_Sec@...)
      has left #pcgen
      <[PL]Briarius> I got nothin
      <[Content_SB]Frank> Coll. The let's finish it.
      <[Content_SB]Frank> Coll means cool
      <[Content_SB]Frank> I better claim it's French. ;)
      <[PL]Briarius> Have a good Halloween or hope you had a good Halloween guys
      <[Content_SB]Frank> Good night, Guys. :)
      <[CodeSB]jdempsey> Have a good arvo everyone :)
      * [Content_SB]Frank has quit (Quit: )
      * [CodeSB]jdempsey (~jdempsey@...) has left #pcgen
      * [PL]Briarius has quit (Quit: )
      * [Docs_2nd]Boomer has quit (Quit: )