Taking the heat for IP in pcg files

  • Kent P
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2006
      I'm willing to chance a few nasty letters for pcg files containing I.P.

      If people wish to forward pcg files that do not conform to OGL data
      sets, I will zip them and put them online. I don't have the ability to
      offer file transfers or I would create a folder structure and let
      people have at it.

      Please do NOT send any data set that contains I.P., even if you have
      entered it yourself. If you have custom designed .lst material that is
      your own creation and is necessary for the character, you are welcome
      to include that with it. Perhaps you could zip the two togther in a
      folder.

      Please forward them to pcg@... labelled (i.e., in the file name,
      not the email) as needing one or more of the following:

      3.0_core
      3.5_core
      3.0_+ (WOTC extras like splat books)
      3.5_+ "
      3.0_++ (Don't bother with these unless you've spent a lot of
      money on Data sets)
      3.5_++ "

      If your OS doesn't permit "+", a capital P should get the point across.

      I don't know if Linux permits spaces in filenames, so until someone
      can confirm otherwise, substituting underscores might be the polite
      thing to do.

      If they are for a non D&D setting, please indicate that with the same Markers

      It would be nice if you are able to take it a bit further, and
      indicate more specifics, like Campaign settings etc.

      What I'd really like to see is not random NPCs, but nicely balanced
      NPCs (or PCs that could be used as NPCs) that will add some colour to
      people's games. Characters with well thought out mixes of feats and
      skills that can actually provide a challenge commensurate with their
      level.

      I hope this can be useful to people without the time or experience to
      flesh out their games fully.

      Kent
    • Axel
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2006
        What defines IP?

        For example, would a 'Liberty Bodice of Concentration (+10)' be allowed?
        or 'Mirror Shades of Spellcraft (+10)'

        If we build standard magic items using the Custom Item creator, is that ok?

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2006
          If some company sells a non OGL product that contains a "Liberty
          Bodice" or "Mirror Shades", then I guess you can't include it in a
          data file. Best to make a note to go with it that it requires a
          particular data set. Or throw it into the "++" category without a data
          set and let the user figure it out for themselves from the header
          which sets they need.

          It can be generated using the existing data sets called for, then it
          should be fine to include in a pcg calling for that package. If it
          needs a named item that belongs to a company, then it isn't going to
          load unless the user has data sets for that company. You can't make
          "Melf's acid arrow" in a custom data set and include that with an OGL
          character. You'd need to call it a 3.x core. If you want to equip the
          character with "Axel's Marvelous arrow of Acid spray" and include a
          data set that has that, I'm fine with it. If a company writes to
          complain, I'll pull it.

          Kent