Re: [pcgen] Having some problems with pcgen

  • Kent P
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2006
      the Bat file should be in the root of the PCGen Folder. If it's isn't,
      you can make your own. It is a plain text file saved with a .bat
      extension mine looks like this:

      REM Uncomment the following line and comment out the last line
      REM if you have Out of Memory problems. The value after -Xmx is the
      REM maximum amount of memory that PCGen will be allowed to use.
      REM It defaults to 64MB.
      REM The value after -Xms is the starting memory, using both then to
      speed up PCGEN.
      start javaw -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar c:\pcgen\pcgen.jar

      There is room for variation. the "start javaw" part is a modification
      that launches the program without leaving a DOS window open. the
      default is more like "java -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar pcgen.jar"

      The numbers are dependent on how much memory you have available. I
      also use 1 Gig and find the listed numbers work fine, even with a
      number of extra sets. If you don't plan to run anything else at the
      same time, and have purchased a lot of the Codemonkey sets, it is
      possible you will get some improvement by making the numbers bigger.
      The biggest advantage would probably be making the first number larger
      since the second only has an effect if the first is insufficient.

      Kent

      On 10/27/06, wcwyt03 wrote:

      > I would appreciate it if someone could help me, I just got PCgen and
      > love it except for the following which I hope to fix so I can continue
      > using it!
      > The program lags out and freezes, especially if I load more than 2
      > characters. I have 1GB RAM and read some other posts that said others
      > with similair problems should expand the memory to PCgen...I dont know
      > how to do that (Iv tried) i thought it had something to do with
      > pcgen.bat but i cannot find that file. Hopefully someone knows how to
      > fix this, I just found this program and im very excited and hope to
      > REALLY use it soon. Thanks for the help
    • Michael Pritchard
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2006
        I appreciate the help, I have another question, after I make the Bat file do I just leave it in the folder and it will do the work or do I have to link it somehow to pcgen?

        Kent P <kentpollard@...> wrote: the Bat file should be in the root of the PCGen Folder. If it's isn't,

        On 10/27/06, wcwyt03 wrote:

        > I would appreciate it if someone could help me, I just got PCgen and
        > love it except for the following which I hope to fix so I can continue
        > using it!
        > The program lags out and freezes, especially if I load more than 2
        > characters. I have 1GB RAM and read some other posts that said others
        > with similair problems should expand the memory to PCgen...I dont know
        > how to do that (Iv tried) i thought it had something to do with
        > pcgen.bat but i cannot find that file. Hopefully someone knows how to
        > fix this, I just found this program and im very excited and hope to
        > REALLY use it soon. Thanks for the help

      • Ludovic Fierville
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2006
          Just launch PCGen by double-clicking on the Bat file. If you have a
          shortcut on your desktop, modify its target to point to the Bat file
          or just create a new shortcut of the Bat file on your desktop.

          2006/10/28, Michael Pritchard <wcwyt03@...>:
          > I appreciate the help, I have another question, after I make the Bat file do I just leave it in the folder and it will do the work or do I have to link it somehow to pcgen?
          >
          > Kent P <kentpollard@...> wrote: the Bat file should be in the root of the PCGen Folder. If it's isn't,
          > you can make your own. It is a plain text file saved with a .bat
          > extension mine looks like this:
          >
          > REM Uncomment the following line and comment out the last line
          > REM if you have Out of Memory problems. The value after -Xmx is the
          > REM maximum amount of memory that PCGen will be allowed to use.
          > REM It defaults to 64MB.
          > REM The value after -Xms is the starting memory, using both then to
          > speed up PCGEN.
          > start javaw -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar c:\pcgen\pcgen.jar
          >
          > There is room for variation. the "start javaw" part is a modification
          > that launches the program without leaving a DOS window open. the
          > default is more like "java -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar pcgen.jar"
          >
          > The numbers are dependent on how much memory you have available. I
          > also use 1 Gig and find the listed numbers work fine, even with a
          > number of extra sets. If you don't plan to run anything else at the
          > same time, and have purchased a lot of the Codemonkey sets, it is
          > possible you will get some improvement by making the numbers bigger.
          > The biggest advantage would probably be making the first number larger
          > since the second only has an effect if the first is insufficient.
          >
          > Kent
          >
          > On 10/27/06, wcwyt03 wrote:
          > >
          > > I would appreciate it if someone could help me, I just got PCgen and
          > > love it except for the following which I hope to fix so I can continue
          > > using it!
          > > The program lags out and freezes, especially if I load more than 2
          > > characters. I have 1GB RAM and read some other posts that said others
          > > with similair problems should expand the memory to PCgen...I dont know
          > > how to do that (Iv tried) i thought it had something to do with
          > > pcgen.bat but i cannot find that file. Hopefully someone knows how to
          > > fix this, I just found this program and im very excited and hope to
          > > REALLY use it soon. Thanks for the help

          ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
        • Kent P
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2006
            As long as the path in the only significant line is correct, then it
            is linked, and nothing further is needed (i.e. my PCGen is
            inc:\pcgen\pcgen.jar, so my line "start javaw -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar
            c:\pcgen\pcgen.jar" contains what it needs. if your pcgen.jar is
            somewhere else, the path needs to be adjusted accordingly)

            It appears that Keith's suggestion will do exactly the same thing
            while bypassing the need for a batch file at all.

            Kent