Having some problems with pcgen

  • wcwyt03
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2006
      I would appreciate it if someone could help me, I just got PCgen and
      love it except for the following which I hope to fix so I can continue
      using it!
      The program lags out and freezes, especially if I load more than 2
      characters. I have 1GB RAM and read some other posts that said others
      with similair problems should expand the memory to PCgen...I dont know
      how to do that (Iv tried) i thought it had something to do with
      pcgen.bat but i cannot find that file. Hopefully someone knows how to
      fix this, I just found this program and im very excited and hope to
      REALLY use it soon. Thanks for the help
    • Keith Ratliff
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2006
        Try the following:

        Make a shortcut in the folder you installed PCGen to. On the shortcut, edit
        it's properties and the first field you type in (the one that specifies what
        program the short launches) type:

        %WINDIR%\java -jar PCGEN*.jar -Xms 32M -Xmx 512M

        (the Xms and Xmx parameters are the significant part here. If you already
        have a shortcut, just copy it, edit the copy and add them)

        --Keith

        On 10/27/06, wcwyt03 <wcwyt03@...> wrote:

        > I would appreciate it if someone could help me, I just got PCgen and
        > love it except for the following which I hope to fix so I can continue
        > using it!
        > The program lags out and freezes, especially if I load more than 2
        > characters. I have 1GB RAM and read some other posts that said others
        > with similair problems should expand the memory to PCgen...I dont know
        > how to do that (Iv tried) i thought it had something to do with
        > pcgen.bat but i cannot find that file. Hopefully someone knows how to
        > fix this, I just found this program and im very excited and hope to
        > REALLY use it soon. Thanks for the help

      • Kent P
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2006
          the Bat file should be in the root of the PCGen Folder. If it's isn't,
          you can make your own. It is a plain text file saved with a .bat
          extension mine looks like this:

          REM Uncomment the following line and comment out the last line
          REM if you have Out of Memory problems. The value after -Xmx is the
          REM maximum amount of memory that PCGen will be allowed to use.
          REM It defaults to 64MB.
          REM The value after -Xms is the starting memory, using both then to
          speed up PCGEN.
          start javaw -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar c:\pcgen\pcgen.jar

          There is room for variation. the "start javaw" part is a modification
          that launches the program without leaving a DOS window open. the
          default is more like "java -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar pcgen.jar"

          The numbers are dependent on how much memory you have available. I
          also use 1 Gig and find the listed numbers work fine, even with a
          number of extra sets. If you don't plan to run anything else at the
          same time, and have purchased a lot of the Codemonkey sets, it is
          possible you will get some improvement by making the numbers bigger.
          The biggest advantage would probably be making the first number larger
          since the second only has an effect if the first is insufficient.

          Kent

          On 10/27/06, wcwyt03 wrote:

          > I would appreciate it if someone could help me, I just got PCgen and
          > love it except for the following which I hope to fix so I can continue
          > using it!
          > The program lags out and freezes, especially if I load more than 2
          > characters. I have 1GB RAM and read some other posts that said others
          > with similair problems should expand the memory to PCgen...I dont know
          > how to do that (Iv tried) i thought it had something to do with
          > pcgen.bat but i cannot find that file. Hopefully someone knows how to
          > fix this, I just found this program and im very excited and hope to
          > REALLY use it soon. Thanks for the help
        • Michael Pritchard
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 27, 2006
            I appreciate the help, I have another question, after I make the Bat file do I just leave it in the folder and it will do the work or do I have to link it somehow to pcgen?

            Kent P <kentpollard@...> wrote: the Bat file should be in the root of the PCGen Folder. If it's isn't,

            On 10/27/06, wcwyt03 wrote:

            > I would appreciate it if someone could help me, I just got PCgen and
            > love it except for the following which I hope to fix so I can continue
            > using it!
            > The program lags out and freezes, especially if I load more than 2
            > characters. I have 1GB RAM and read some other posts that said others
            > with similair problems should expand the memory to PCgen...I dont know
            > how to do that (Iv tried) i thought it had something to do with
            > pcgen.bat but i cannot find that file. Hopefully someone knows how to
            > fix this, I just found this program and im very excited and hope to
            > REALLY use it soon. Thanks for the help

          • Ludovic Fierville
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2006
              Just launch PCGen by double-clicking on the Bat file. If you have a
              shortcut on your desktop, modify its target to point to the Bat file
              or just create a new shortcut of the Bat file on your desktop.

              2006/10/28, Michael Pritchard <wcwyt03@...>:
              > I appreciate the help, I have another question, after I make the Bat file do I just leave it in the folder and it will do the work or do I have to link it somehow to pcgen?
              >
              > Kent P <kentpollard@...> wrote: the Bat file should be in the root of the PCGen Folder. If it's isn't,
              > you can make your own. It is a plain text file saved with a .bat
              > extension mine looks like this:
              >
              > REM Uncomment the following line and comment out the last line
              > REM if you have Out of Memory problems. The value after -Xmx is the
              > REM maximum amount of memory that PCGen will be allowed to use.
              > REM It defaults to 64MB.
              > REM The value after -Xms is the starting memory, using both then to
              > speed up PCGEN.
              > start javaw -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar c:\pcgen\pcgen.jar
              >
              > There is room for variation. the "start javaw" part is a modification
              > that launches the program without leaving a DOS window open. the
              > default is more like "java -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar pcgen.jar"
              >
              > The numbers are dependent on how much memory you have available. I
              > also use 1 Gig and find the listed numbers work fine, even with a
              > number of extra sets. If you don't plan to run anything else at the
              > same time, and have purchased a lot of the Codemonkey sets, it is
              > possible you will get some improvement by making the numbers bigger.
              > The biggest advantage would probably be making the first number larger
              > since the second only has an effect if the first is insufficient.
              >
              > Kent
              >
              > On 10/27/06, wcwyt03 wrote:
              > >
              > > I would appreciate it if someone could help me, I just got PCgen and
              > > love it except for the following which I hope to fix so I can continue
              > > using it!
              > > The program lags out and freezes, especially if I load more than 2
              > > characters. I have 1GB RAM and read some other posts that said others
              > > with similair problems should expand the memory to PCgen...I dont know
              > > how to do that (Iv tried) i thought it had something to do with
              > > pcgen.bat but i cannot find that file. Hopefully someone knows how to
              > > fix this, I just found this program and im very excited and hope to
              > > REALLY use it soon. Thanks for the help

              ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
            • Kent P
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2006
                As long as the path in the only significant line is correct, then it
                is linked, and nothing further is needed (i.e. my PCGen is
                inc:\pcgen\pcgen.jar, so my line "start javaw -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar
                c:\pcgen\pcgen.jar" contains what it needs. if your pcgen.jar is
                somewhere else, the path needs to be adjusted accordingly)

                It appears that Keith's suggestion will do exactly the same thing
                while bypassing the need for a batch file at all.

                Kent