[Pauls][OGL] Re: Archive of .pcg characters?

  • lzaikoski2001
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 26, 2006
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>
      wrote:
      > An issue I have with this is PI. The folks reviewing the characters
      will have to be fairly versed in the books used to generate the
      character, especially when PI and/or special licenses are involved.

      Well, I'm glad to see my idea was a good one! :)

      I don't think it would be too limiting to restrict NPC submissions to
      OGL-only, if the legal considerations cannot be worked out ... there's
      almost no character concept that can't be played out core-only ... PrCs
      and alternate classes only add to options, or make things easier.

      I just think it would be nice to have a site with NPCs that can be
      loaded and modified as desired. I generally use PCGen for any NPC
      that's likely to have more than 15 minutes "stage time."
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 27, 2006
        Hi all,

        >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@>
        >> wrote:
        >> An issue I have with this is PI. The folks reviewing the characters
        >> will have to be fairly versed in the books used to generate the
        >> character, especially when PI and/or special licenses are involved.
        >
        > Well, I'm glad to see my idea was a good one! :)
        >
        > I don't think it would be too limiting to restrict NPC submissions to
        > OGL-only, if the legal considerations cannot be worked out ...
        > there's almost no character concept that can't be played out core-only
        > ... PrCs and alternate classes only add to options, or make things
        > easier.
        >
        > I just think it would be nice to have a site with NPCs that can be
        > loaded and modified as desired. I generally use PCGen for any NPC
        > that's likely to have more than 15 minutes "stage time."

        OK, I'm going to open up submissions for PCG files, please send them
        to martijnverburgATgmailDOTcom

        * They need to be 5.10.1
        * They need to be OGL only (and no home brew sets either please)

        In other words they need to be compatible with the latest version of
        PCGen is if it was freshly downloaded by a new user.

        I'll add them to the repository after trying them out with 5.10.1 and
        5.11.x. Once I have a few I'll post the link to the repository so
        that people can start using them straight away.

        Karianna
      • Paul Grosse
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 27, 2006
          Kar, the only restriction is that most NPC's from books are not OGC. Of
          course this is refering to named NPC's from the books, not Orc #5,
          Goblin #202 etc.

          Also this might become a moot point if Aaron's little project works out
          they way he hopes. :) Oh did I just say that in text?? <EG>

          Paul Grosse
          Motorized Chassis Engineer
          Monaco Coach Corp.
          606 Nelson's Parkway
          PO Box 465
          Wakarusa, IN 46573
          (800) 650-7337
          (574) 862-7388 (ext. 7388)
        • karianna03
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 27, 2006
            > Kar, the only restriction is that most NPC's from books are not OGC.
            > Of course this is refering to named NPC's from the books, not Orc
            > #5, Goblin #202 etc.

            Duly noted

            > Also this might become a moot point if Aaron's little project works
            > out they way he hopes. :) Oh did I just say that in text?? <EG>

            Not having seen it on the latest nightly builds one couldn't possibly
            comment, oops! ;p

          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 27, 2006
              > > Also this might become a moot point if Aaron's little project works
              > > out they way he hopes. :) Oh did I just say that in text?? <EG>
              >
              > Not having seen it on the latest nightly builds one couldn't possibly
              > comment, oops! ;p

              For those curious, they are referencing this commit comment from Aaron:
              "Version 0.001 of NPC Generator."

              It kinda broke some things to the point where the Alpha release was
              postponed. But even so, I'm a bit excited. :)

              PCGen LST Chimp
            • Kent P
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 27, 2006
                On 10/27/06, Tir Gwaith wrote:

                > For those curious, they are referencing this commit comment from Aaron:
                > "Version 0.001 of NPC Generator."

                That is definitely something to look forward to. On the other hand,
                exciting though that is, I'll take some kind DM's carefully crafted
                NPC over an auto generated one any chance I get. I don't imagine it
                will completely displace the repository unless the repository becomes
                too difficult to maintain.

                Kent