Slightly offtopic question

  • Kileran
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2006
      Unfortunately i'm not a member of any other D&D groups, so i didn't
      know who to ask when me and some friends came up with this question.

      The D&D epic level handbook says this, on page 11, under "animal
      companion" in the epic druid section.

      "The druid may have a maximum number of animal companions equal to
      twice her class level, as normal"

      Now, isn't normal One animal companion? how is this normal?

      Thanks for any input.

      Sean
    • Richard Bowers
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2006
        The epic handbook was written for D&D 3.0, not 3.5. In 3.5, the norm is one
        animal companion. In 3.0, the norm was twice as many HD as your level (or
        the same number of HD as your level, depending on how dangerous the tasks
        were). You could have multiple companions, as long as they didn't exceed
        that total. For example, one of my players would use one HD for a owl or
        raven, which he'd use as a scout, and the rest on a powerful creature that
        would help him in direct combat.

        I'd suggest trying the wizards of the coast website (wizards.com) for other
        D&D specific questions, since their answers are official. Not that I mind
        answering, of course. They have various forums there for discussion.

        On 10/21/06, Kileran <kileran@...> wrote:

        > Unfortunately i'm not a member of any other D&D groups, so i didn't
        > know who to ask when me and some friends came up with this question.
        >
        > The D&D epic level handbook says this, on page 11, under "animal
        > companion" in the epic druid section.
        >
        > "The druid may have a maximum number of animal companions equal to
        > twice her class level, as normal"
        >
        > Now, isn't normal One animal companion? how is this normal?
        >
        > Thanks for any input.
        >
        > Sean

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 22, 2006
          Richard is right. Using the 3.5 SRD, the Druid entry has this:

          Animal Companion: The Druid's animal companion continues to increase
          in power. Every three levels higher than 20th the animal companion
          gains 2 bonus hit dice, +1 strength and dexterity, and an additional
          trick.

          I hope that clears things up for you. I think that was in the 3.5 DMG.

          PCGen LST Chimp