[TM][DOC]Re: Changing PDF Output Sheets

  • Chuck Pint
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2006
      What Frugal typed below would actually be a very good start on the doc
      for generating a PDF sheet. Could a tracker monkey add this to the
      FREQ for documenting the PDF sheets? Then maybe a DOC monkey can start
      on this.

      Chuck
      OS Chimp

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, October 13, 2006 12:52 am, Chuck Pint wrote:
      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Anderson" <IanQuentin@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I was curious if there was any documentation that would explain how
      > >> the PDF output sheets worked.
      > >>
      > >> Specifically, I'm looking to have an output sheet where the equipment
      > >> and weight allowance pieces print on a separate page.
      > >
      > > That's a FREQ to do one of these days. It never seems to get a high
      > > priority. Your best bet is to take a look at fantasy_master_std.xslt
      > > in the outputsheets\d20\fantasy\pdf directory. The xslt is not too
      > > hard to follow.
      >
      > PCGen will first create an XML character sheet by using the standard
      > export tokens and the base.xml output sheet. PCGen will then store
      the XML
      > character sheet in the tmp directory. It will then run an xslt
      > transformation with the character sheet you have selected (eg.
      > csheet_fantasy_std_blue.xslt) to create an XSL:FO document which it then
      > converts to PDF.
      >
      > XSLT links:
      > http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt
      > http://www.zvon.org/xxl/XSLTreference/Output/index.html
      > http://www.zvon.org/xxl/XSLTutorial/Output/index.html
      >
      > XSL:FO links:
      > http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/
      > http://www.zvon.org/xxl/xslfoReference/Output/index.html
      > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/
      >
      > When doing a lot of work on the xslt sheets I tend to run pcgen,
      export a
      > character to PDF. Take a look in the temp directory (/tmp on unixes,
      > Documents and Settings\{user}\Local Settings\Temp on windows) There
      should
      > be a file something like currentPC_99999.xml. Copy this file to
      whereever
      > you are working and then run the FOP process from the commandline. That
      > way you do not need to have PCGen running to test your sheets, adn each
      > test does not need to wait for PCGen to export the XML file first.
      >
      > 99% of the functionality for the PDF sheets is stored in
      > fantast_master_std.xslt. The main layout is all at the top of the file,
      > and the templates for each of the blocks is stored lower down in the
      file.
      > Ideally each block should be factored out into it's own file but
      that is a
      > completly different task.
      >
      > If all you want to do is force a page break before the equipment block
      > then have a look at the line "<xsl:template match="equipment">". In the
      > following line add the 'break-before="page"' attribute to the fo:block
      > element.
      >
      > --
      > regards,
      > Frugal

    • Jay Anderson
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2006
        Very, very helpful. Thanks!

        Jay Anderson

> [...]
        That
        > way you do not need to have PCGen running to test your sheets, adn
        each
        > test does not need to wait for PCGen to export the XML file first.
        >
        > 99% of the functionality for the PDF sheets is stored in
        > fantast_master_std.xslt. The main layout is all at the top of the
        file,
        > and the templates for each of the blocks is stored lower down in
        the file.
        > Ideally each block should be factored out into it's own file but
        that is a
        > completly different task.
        >
        > If all you want to do is force a page break before the equipment
        block
        > then have a look at the line "<xsl:template match="equipment">".
        In the
        > following line add the 'break-before="page"' attribute to the

      • Jay Anderson
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
          Thanks for the help. Been able to do several alternations to the
          output sheet so far. Seem to be stuck on one area though.

          I'm trying to have the weapons outputted with the one in Primary hand
          first followed by the ones simply carried. I don't have any weapons
          that are Not Carried. I found the weapons template and the following

          <xsl:template match="weapons">
          <xsl:param name="first_weapon" select="0"/>
          <xsl:param name="last_weapon" select="0"/>
          <xsl:param name="column_width" select="'wide'"/>
          <xsl:for-each select="weapon">
          <xsl:if test="(position() >= $first_weapon) and
          (position() <= $last_weapon)">

          So I assume all I need to do is insert the appropriate sort element.
          I've tried

          <xsl:sort select = "//hand" data-type="text" order = "descending"/>

          but it doesn't seem to work. Can any of you xslt:fo experts let me
          know where I've gone wrong?

          Thanks,

          Jay Anderson

        • karianna03
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
            Done.

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Pint" <pcgen2006@...> wrote:

            > What Frugal typed below would actually be a very good start on the doc
            > for generating a PDF sheet. Could a tracker monkey add this to the
            > FREQ for documenting the PDF sheets? Then maybe a DOC monkey can start
            > on this.
            >
            > Chuck
            > OS Chimp

          • Peter Scott
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
              Any help out there?

              I purchased the Complete Arcane dataset from code monkeys - unzipped into
              the 5.8.1 directory - but it doesn't appear to be installed. the LCC file is
              in the directory structure beneath /data

              Anyone able to help?

              Cheers

            • David R. Bender
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006