Re: PC Gen and Etools

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
      I'm sure a few people will 'weigh in' here, but this question might be
      better off asked on the CMP forums as it is the unique combination of
      PCGen 5.8.1 and CMP datasets that gives you the 'experience'. I
      suspect that several people that hang out in their foums have tried both.

      Note that 5.10.1 contains major improvements over 5.8.1 and we are
      going to be working with CMP to assist them in converting/upgrading
      their datasets to work with this latest version.

      The PCGen team would like to think that 5.10.1 has no _major_ bugs in
      it, but that's always in the eye of the beholder, so I'll leave it up
      to our end users to comment on that :-).

      I'm mulling over adding my personal view on this, but in light of my
      illustrious position....<snort> ;p, I'd better not.

      Karianna
      Chair Monkey - PCGen

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "grayson72001" <grayson5541@...> wrote:

      > Hello, I have been using e-tools since my new campaign started several
      > weeks ago. It seems that I am finding errors with monsters and in
      > some cases I can't edit the errors out. There are also the occasional
      > quirks and limitations based on the program itself. I downloaded PC
      > Gen and it seems nice; although, it takes a bit of getting used to. I
      > am seriously considering converting over to PC Gen. For my campaign,
      > I use the 3.5 core rules books, the Complete Series, and the Spell
      > Compendium, all of which, I have purchased for e-tools. Before I buy
      > those data sets again for PC Gen, I am wondering if anyone can tell me
      > if there are any major bugs or issues that I need to be concerned
      > about (for PC Gen). Also, for those who have used both programs, why
      > do you prefer one over the other.
      >
      > I would also like to state for the record that I am not slamming e-
      > tools by any means. It has been quite useful and makes my job much
      > simpler. However, I am willing to try something better if it is
      > available. Thank you.

    • Ludovic Fierville
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
        i'm using PCGen 5.10.1 with the Eberron datasets from CMP and i didn't
        have any problems so far. Of course, i don't use fancy stuff, and none
        of my players are monks :) (this said because of the changes Mr Gwaith
        made recently to monk-related mecanisms, i do not mean to imply that
        monks are fancy ^^)

        I also used eTools with the same datasets that i'm using with PCGen,
        and i find that PCgen is much simpler to alter once you have
        understood the mechanisms of the LST files... my programer background
        comes in handy for once :)

        So far, i would rate eTools a B and PCGen a A, some little things
        missing for a A+. Of course, that's my opinion, feel free to differ.

        (as you have surely guessed, english isn't my native language, so
        please be merciful and don't send the ninja monkeys after me ^^ )

        In conclusion, i can recommend the CMP datasets i have tested (3.5
        core, all eberron sets). I wouldn't say they are perfect, but they're
        close enough for me, and the combination of PCGen and the CMP stuff
        really help me through my campaign.

        Those were my two cents :)

        Ludo

        2006/10/2, karianna03 <martijnverburg@...>:
        > I'm sure a few people will 'weigh in' here, but this question might be
        > better off asked on the CMP forums as it is the unique combination of
        > PCGen 5.8.1 and CMP datasets that gives you the 'experience'. I
        > suspect that several people that hang out in their foums have tried both.
        >
        > Note that 5.10.1 contains major improvements over 5.8.1 and we are
        > going to be working with CMP to assist them in converting/upgrading
        > their datasets to work with this latest version.
        >
        > The PCGen team would like to think that 5.10.1 has no _major_ bugs in
        > it, but that's always in the eye of the beholder, so I'll leave it up
        > to our end users to comment on that :-).
        >
        > I'm mulling over adding my personal view on this, but in light of my
        > illustrious position....<snort> ;p, I'd better not.
        >
        > Karianna
        > Chair Monkey - PCGen
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "grayson72001" <grayson5541@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello, I have been using e-tools since my new campaign started several
        > > weeks ago. It seems that I am finding errors with monsters and in
        > > some cases I can't edit the errors out. There are also the occasional
        > > quirks and limitations based on the program itself. I downloaded PC
        > > Gen and it seems nice; although, it takes a bit of getting used to. I
        > > am seriously considering converting over to PC Gen. For my campaign,
        > > I use the 3.5 core rules books, the Complete Series, and the Spell
        > > Compendium, all of which, I have purchased for e-tools. Before I buy
        > > those data sets again for PC Gen, I am wondering if anyone can tell me
        > > if there are any major bugs or issues that I need to be concerned
        > > about (for PC Gen). Also, for those who have used both programs, why
        > > do you prefer one over the other.
        > >
        > > I would also like to state for the record that I am not slamming e-
        > > tools by any means. It has been quite useful and makes my job much
        > > simpler. However, I am willing to try something better if it is
        > > available. Thank you.

        ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
      • grayson72001
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
          First, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post. I
          appreciate it. I have been messing around with the 1.10 version of PC
          Gen. What is the difference between that one and 1.08? Is there
          someplace where I can find the changes? Thank you.
        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006

            On 3/10/2006 3:31 PM grayson72001 wrote
            > First, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post. I
            > appreciate it. I have been messing around with the 1.10 version of PC
            > Gen. What is the difference between that one and 1.08? Is there
            > someplace where I can find the changes? Thank you.

            See the release notes at
            https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=34282&group_id=25576
            for full details.

            James Dempsey
            PCGen Code SB
          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006

              On 3/10/2006 6:18 PM James Dempsey wrote
              > Hi,
              >
              > On 3/10/2006 3:31 PM grayson72001 wrote
              >
              >> First, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post. I
              >> appreciate it. I have been messing around with the 1.10 version of PC
              >> Gen. What is the difference between that one and 1.08? Is there
              >> someplace where I can find the changes? Thank you.
              >>

              > See the release notes at
              > https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=34282&group_id=25576
              > for full details.

              Sorry, missed the one for 5.10.0 which lists the major changes from
              5.8.1. See

              http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=33003&group_id=25576 for that.

              James Dempsey
              PCGen Code SB
            • grayson72001
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
                Wow, those are notable changes. I guess I'll wait until the data sets
                that I want are cleared for 1.10 before I start using PC Gen. Thanks
                again.