PC Gen and Etools

  • grayson72001
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hello, I have been using e-tools since my new campaign started several
      weeks ago. It seems that I am finding errors with monsters and in
      some cases I can't edit the errors out. There are also the occasional
      quirks and limitations based on the program itself. I downloaded PC
      Gen and it seems nice; although, it takes a bit of getting used to. I
      am seriously considering converting over to PC Gen. For my campaign,
      I use the 3.5 core rules books, the Complete Series, and the Spell
      Compendium, all of which, I have purchased for e-tools. Before I buy
      those data sets again for PC Gen, I am wondering if anyone can tell me
      if there are any major bugs or issues that I need to be concerned
      about (for PC Gen). Also, for those who have used both programs, why
      do you prefer one over the other.

      I would also like to state for the record that I am not slamming e-
      tools by any means. It has been quite useful and makes my job much
      simpler. However, I am willing to try something better if it is
      available. Thank you.
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
        I'm sure a few people will 'weigh in' here, but this question might be
        better off asked on the CMP forums as it is the unique combination of
        PCGen 5.8.1 and CMP datasets that gives you the 'experience'. I
        suspect that several people that hang out in their foums have tried both.

        Note that 5.10.1 contains major improvements over 5.8.1 and we are
        going to be working with CMP to assist them in converting/upgrading
        their datasets to work with this latest version.

        The PCGen team would like to think that 5.10.1 has no _major_ bugs in
        it, but that's always in the eye of the beholder, so I'll leave it up
        to our end users to comment on that :-).

        I'm mulling over adding my personal view on this, but in light of my
        illustrious position....<snort> ;p, I'd better not.

        Karianna
        Chair Monkey - PCGen

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "grayson72001" <grayson5541@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I have been using e-tools since my new campaign started several
        > weeks ago. It seems that I am finding errors with monsters and in
        > some cases I can't edit the errors out. There are also the occasional
        > quirks and limitations based on the program itself. I downloaded PC
        > Gen and it seems nice; although, it takes a bit of getting used to. I
        > am seriously considering converting over to PC Gen. For my campaign,
        > I use the 3.5 core rules books, the Complete Series, and the Spell
        > Compendium, all of which, I have purchased for e-tools. Before I buy
        > those data sets again for PC Gen, I am wondering if anyone can tell me
        > if there are any major bugs or issues that I need to be concerned
        > about (for PC Gen). Also, for those who have used both programs, why
        > do you prefer one over the other.
        >
        > I would also like to state for the record that I am not slamming e-
        > tools by any means. It has been quite useful and makes my job much
        > simpler. However, I am willing to try something better if it is
        > available. Thank you.

      • Ludovic Fierville
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
          i'm using PCGen 5.10.1 with the Eberron datasets from CMP and i didn't
          have any problems so far. Of course, i don't use fancy stuff, and none
          of my players are monks :) (this said because of the changes Mr Gwaith
          made recently to monk-related mecanisms, i do not mean to imply that
          monks are fancy ^^)

          I also used eTools with the same datasets that i'm using with PCGen,
          and i find that PCgen is much simpler to alter once you have
          understood the mechanisms of the LST files... my programer background
          comes in handy for once :)

          So far, i would rate eTools a B and PCGen a A, some little things
          missing for a A+. Of course, that's my opinion, feel free to differ.

          (as you have surely guessed, english isn't my native language, so
          please be merciful and don't send the ninja monkeys after me ^^ )

          In conclusion, i can recommend the CMP datasets i have tested (3.5
          core, all eberron sets). I wouldn't say they are perfect, but they're
          close enough for me, and the combination of PCGen and the CMP stuff
          really help me through my campaign.

          Those were my two cents :)

          Ludo

          2006/10/2, karianna03 <martijnverburg@...>:
          > I'm sure a few people will 'weigh in' here, but this question might be
          > better off asked on the CMP forums as it is the unique combination of
          > PCGen 5.8.1 and CMP datasets that gives you the 'experience'. I
          > suspect that several people that hang out in their foums have tried both.
          >
          > Note that 5.10.1 contains major improvements over 5.8.1 and we are
          > going to be working with CMP to assist them in converting/upgrading
          > their datasets to work with this latest version.
          >
          > The PCGen team would like to think that 5.10.1 has no _major_ bugs in
          > it, but that's always in the eye of the beholder, so I'll leave it up
          > to our end users to comment on that :-).
          >
          > I'm mulling over adding my personal view on this, but in light of my
          > illustrious position....<snort> ;p, I'd better not.
          >
          > Karianna
          > Chair Monkey - PCGen
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "grayson72001" <grayson5541@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello, I have been using e-tools since my new campaign started several
          > > weeks ago. It seems that I am finding errors with monsters and in
          > > some cases I can't edit the errors out. There are also the occasional
          > > quirks and limitations based on the program itself. I downloaded PC
          > > Gen and it seems nice; although, it takes a bit of getting used to. I
          > > am seriously considering converting over to PC Gen. For my campaign,
          > > I use the 3.5 core rules books, the Complete Series, and the Spell
          > > Compendium, all of which, I have purchased for e-tools. Before I buy
          > > those data sets again for PC Gen, I am wondering if anyone can tell me
          > > if there are any major bugs or issues that I need to be concerned
          > > about (for PC Gen). Also, for those who have used both programs, why
          > > do you prefer one over the other.
          > >
          > > I would also like to state for the record that I am not slamming e-
          > > tools by any means. It has been quite useful and makes my job much
          > > simpler. However, I am willing to try something better if it is
          > > available. Thank you.

          ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~
        • grayson72001
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
            First, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post. I
            appreciate it. I have been messing around with the 1.10 version of PC
            Gen. What is the difference between that one and 1.08? Is there
            someplace where I can find the changes? Thank you.
          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006

              On 3/10/2006 3:31 PM grayson72001 wrote
              > First, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post. I
              > appreciate it. I have been messing around with the 1.10 version of PC
              > Gen. What is the difference between that one and 1.08? Is there
              > someplace where I can find the changes? Thank you.

              See the release notes at
              https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=34282&group_id=25576
              for full details.

              James Dempsey
              PCGen Code SB
            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006

                On 3/10/2006 6:18 PM James Dempsey wrote
                > Hi,
                >
                > On 3/10/2006 3:31 PM grayson72001 wrote
                >
                >> First, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post. I
                >> appreciate it. I have been messing around with the 1.10 version of PC
                >> Gen. What is the difference between that one and 1.08? Is there
                >> someplace where I can find the changes? Thank you.
                >>

                > See the release notes at
                > https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=34282&group_id=25576
                > for full details.

                Sorry, missed the one for 5.10.0 which lists the major changes from
                5.8.1. See

                http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=33003&group_id=25576 for that.

                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code SB
              • grayson72001
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Wow, those are notable changes. I guess I'll wait until the data sets
                  that I want are cleared for 1.10 before I start using PC Gen. Thanks
                  again.