new shard-dice snapshot available

  • wireframe6464
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29 9:37 AM
      I know pcgen has it's own dice rolling code, but there are some major
      changes in the shard-dice library that might be of interest to pcgen
      developers.

      the *big* change in this release is that shard-dice now uses the same
      JEP math library that pcgen does to parse complex dice expressions.
      Just about any dice expression you can think of, shard-dice can now
      handle. for example:
      1d6 + 2d8(d6 + 12d4)

      shard-dice has some other really nice features too:
      * super lightweight library. it does dice rolling and that's all!
      * full featured dice rolling API. easily get the min/max range for
      this dice
      * very extensible API for creating new algorithms.
      * several convenience dice for standard rolling (ex: RandomDice.d20,
      RandomDice.d6, RandomDice.d8, etc)
      * parse user input into dice expressions (ex: 2d6 + 4)
      * customizable for any situation.
      ** roll multiple dice
      ** drop high/low values of rolls
      ** multiply rolls by a value
      ** modify rolls with positive/negative modifiers
      ** always roll min/max values
      ** always roll above a certain value

      I'm sure there aren't many changes to the pcgen dice rolling library,
      and using the shard-dice library would be "one less thing" for PCGen
      to worry about. If anyone is interested in integrating this into
      PCGen, let me know!
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2006
        Flagging for Architecture