Looking for better output sheets

  • Kileran
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
      I've looked around the main site, the WIKI, and here, and i cant seem
      to find if anyone's made any better Output sheets. I can only print in
      B/W, and the 2 that came with 5.10 (which i am running), kinda suck.

      So if anyone can point me to a decent Black/White output sheet, that
      would be appreciated, i cannot find them anywhere.
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
        There should be much more than 2 output sheets available for choosing. Which two are you seeing?

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD

        I've looked around the main site, the WIKI, and here, and i cant seem to find if anyone's made any better Output sheets. I can
        only print in B/W, and the 2 that came with 5.10 (which i am running), kinda suck.
      • Axel
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
          In my down load of 5.10 there are 2 separate pdfs, cshhet_fantasy std & csheet_fantasy simple, I think that is what the questioner means.

          There should be much more than 2 output sheets available for choosing. Which two are you seeing?

          Paul W. King
          PR SB, BoD

          I've looked around the main site, the WIKI, and here, and i cant seem to find if anyone's made any better Output sheets. I can
          only print in B/W, and the 2 that came with 5.10 (which i am running), kinda suck.

        • Nigel Bennington
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
            Hi Guys,

            In our house rules, wound points are CON+LEVEL, rather than just CON -
            Is it possible to implement this, and if so, where would I put the
            change, and how would I implement it?

            Thanks in anticipation.

            Coromir
          • Graeme Wallis
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
              Just a minor point. The people who created the sheets
              you say 'kinda suck' probably read these posts.

              The output sheets are a lot of work. I've played
              around witht them, and done a lot of other XML work,
              and it's hard, sometimes VERY tedious, work to get it
              looking good.

              Yes, They're fairly basic in there appearance, but the
              people involved do deserve more credit than 'kinda
              suck'.

              Just my 2 pence worth, as I float through!

              Soulcat

              --- Kileran <kileran@...> wrote:

              > I've looked around the main site, the WIKI, and
              > here, and i cant seem
              > to find if anyone's made any better Output sheets. I
              > can only print in
              > B/W, and the 2 that came with 5.10 (which i am
              > running), kinda suck.
              >
              > So if anyone can point me to a decent Black/White
              > output sheet, that
              > would be appreciated, i cannot find them anywhere.

              http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                Nigel Bennington scribed:

                > Hi Guys,
                >
                > In our house rules, wound points are CON+LEVEL, rather than just CON -
                > Is it possible to implement this, and if so, where would I put the
                > change, and how would I implement it?
                >
                > Thanks in anticipation.
                >
                > Coromir

                Find the file: PCGen/system/gameModes/35e/statsandchecks.lst

                On line 10 find this tag: BONUS:HP|ALTHP|CONSCORE

                Change it to: BONUS:HP|ALTHP|CONSCORE+TL

                You can ignore the BONUS:HP|WOUNDPOINTS|CON tag, I think that was left over
                from long ago but I was not sure so I never removed it. Alternately if you
                do not want to have to make this adjustment each time you upgrade you can
                put this bonus into your own dataset:

                BONUS:HP|WOUNDPOINTS|TL this will add total character levels to the already
                set amount of CONSCORE. It is probably easiest to make a template which all
                characters in your campaign would get added.

                Also (so many aspects to this, huh) if you don't want monster hit dice to
                count you can use the HD variable to counter that like so:

                BONUS:HP|ALTHP|CONSCORE+TL-HD

                Hope that helps, if you have any questions about how to set this up we have
                another yahoo group specifically for these type of questions:

                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              • Nigel Bennington
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                  Eddy Anthony wrote:

                  > Nigel Bennington scribed:
                  >
                  > > Hi Guys,
                  > >
                  > > In our house rules, wound points are CON+LEVEL, rather than just CON -
                  > > Is it possible to implement this, and if so, where would I put the
                  > > change, and how would I implement it?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks in anticipation.
                  > >
                  > > Coromir
                  >
                  > Find the file: PCGen/system/gameModes/35e/statsandchecks.lst
                  >
                  > On line 10 find this tag: BONUS:HP|ALTHP|CONSCORE
                  >
                  > Change it to: BONUS:HP|ALTHP|CONSCORE+TL
                  >
                  > You can ignore the BONUS:HP|WOUNDPOINTS|CON tag, I think that was left
                  > over
                  > from long ago but I was not sure so I never removed it. Alternately if you
                  > do not want to have to make this adjustment each time you upgrade you can
                  > put this bonus into your own dataset:
                  >
                  > BONUS:HP|WOUNDPOINTS|TL this will add total character levels to the
                  > already
                  > set amount of CONSCORE. It is probably easiest to make a template
                  > which all
                  > characters in your campaign would get added.
                  >
                  > Also (so many aspects to this, huh) if you don't want monster hit dice to
                  > count you can use the HD variable to counter that like so:
                  >
                  > BONUS:HP|ALTHP|CONSCORE+TL-HD
                  >
                  > Hope that helps, if you have any questions about how to set this up we
                  > have
                  > another yahoo group specifically for these type of questions:

                  > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

                  Thanks Eddy, I'll direct any future queries there :)
                • Edwin Holley
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                    Graeme Wallis wrote:
                    > Just a minor point. The people who created the sheets
                    > you say 'kinda suck' probably read these posts.
                    >
                    > The output sheets are a lot of work. I've played
                    > around witht them, and done a lot of other XML work,
                    > and it's hard, sometimes VERY tedious, work to get it
                    > looking good.
                    >
                    > Yes, They're fairly basic in there appearance, but the
                    > people involved do deserve more credit than 'kinda
                    > suck'.
                    >
                    > Just my 2 pence worth, as I float through!
                    >
                    > Soulcat
                    >
                    > --- Kileran <kileran@...> wrote:

                    I must second this, OS make my head spin. You are of course welcome to
                    create your own, or provide feedback on how you would like to make the
                    sheets better, maybe the nice OS Monkeys will show you how to make them
                    more towards your liking.

                    --

                    Edwin Charles Holley II
                    GlassWalkerTheurge

                  • Chuck Pint
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 12, 2006
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Edwin Holley <eholley@...> wrote:

                      > Graeme Wallis wrote:
                      > > Just a minor point. The people who created the sheets
                      > > you say 'kinda suck' probably read these posts.
                      > >
                      > > The output sheets are a lot of work. I've played
                      > > around witht them, and done a lot of other XML work,
                      > > and it's hard, sometimes VERY tedious, work to get it
                      > > looking good.
                      > >
                      > > Yes, They're fairly basic in there appearance, but the
                      > > people involved do deserve more credit than 'kinda
                      > > suck'.
                      > >
                      > > Just my 2 pence worth, as I float through!
                      > >
                      > > Soulcat
                      > >
                      > > --- Kileran <kileran@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > I must second this, OS make my head spin. You are of course welcome to
                      > create your own, or provide feedback on how you would like to make the
                      > sheets better, maybe the nice OS Monkeys will show you how to make them
                      > more towards your liking.

                      I'd be happy to help out anyone that wants to make their own OS. I'll
                      tell you right now, the best thing is to modify a current one. Even
                      doing a (relatively) simple sheet like a stat block from scratch is a
                      fairly large undertaking.

                      Chuck
                      OS Chimp
                      P.S. Hey Kar! Can I borrow a Nija Monkey? ;)
                    • Kileran
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                        Your absolutely right, and i'm sorry that came out wrong. I didn't
                        mean the OS's suck, not at all, it's amazing that they can get all
                        that date so well compressed into two sheets (not including spells
                        and advanced sheets)

                        What i'd meant is that in black and white, it does not come out very
                        well at all. The sheets are fine though!

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Graeme Wallis
                        <soulcatimous_pteppic@...> wrote:

                        > Just a minor point. The people who created the sheets
                        > you say 'kinda suck' probably read these posts.
                        >
                        > The output sheets are a lot of work. I've played
                        > around witht them, and done a lot of other XML work,
                        > and it's hard, sometimes VERY tedious, work to get it
                        > looking good.
                        >
                        > Yes, They're fairly basic in there appearance, but the
                        > people involved do deserve more credit than 'kinda
                        > suck'.
                        >
                        > Just my 2 pence worth, as I float through!
                        >
                        > Soulcat
                        >
                        > --- Kileran <kileran@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I've looked around the main site, the WIKI, and
                        > > here, and i cant seem
                        > > to find if anyone's made any better Output sheets. I
                        > > can only print in
                        > > B/W, and the 2 that came with 5.10 (which i am
                        > > running), kinda suck.
                        > >
                        > > So if anyone can point me to a decent Black/White
                        > > output sheet, that
                        > > would be appreciated, i cannot find them anywhere.

                        > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its
                        simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                          I think a LOT of people with B/W printers would love you if you could
                          do exactly what you just said, modify a current one.

                          The only Real problem with the B/W sheets is the "title" Areas. Most
                          of them are black boxes with white writing, and at that font size,
                          the writing is lost in the black boxes

                          Even something as simple as modifying those so that it was a Black
                          bordered white box, with black text, would make them infinitely
                          better, and use a LOT less ink to boot. Hell, forget the black box,
                          just remove the box, and use black underlined letters, that would
                          work perfectly.

                          I'd love to give some better examples, but i'm writing this from
                          work, and Sourceforge is down, so i cant download PCGen here right
                          now, otherwise i'd take a screenshot and show you exactly what i mean.

                          Thank You!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                            Right, there are probably a dozen or more sheets, but there are just
                            the 2 formats, then a bunch of variations on color

                            sorry i wasn't more clear.

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Axel" <axelmct@...> wrote:

                            > In my down load of 5.10 there are 2 separate pdfs, cshhet_fantasy
                            std & csheet_fantasy simple, I think that is what the questioner
                            means.

                            Behalf Of
                            > Kileran
                            > Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 6:53 PM
                            > To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: [pcgen] Looking for better output sheets
                            >
                            > I've looked around the main site, the WIKI, and here, and i cant
                            seem to find if anyone's made any better Output sheets. I can
                            > only print in B/W, and the 2 that came with 5.10 (which i am
                            running), kinda suck.

                            07/09/2006

                          • Chuck Pint
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kileran" <kileran@...> wrote:

                              > I think a LOT of people with B/W printers would love you if you could
                              > do exactly what you just said, modify a current one.
                              >
                              > The only Real problem with the B/W sheets is the "title" Areas. Most
                              > of them are black boxes with white writing, and at that font size,
                              > the writing is lost in the black boxes
                              >
                              > Even something as simple as modifying those so that it was a Black
                              > bordered white box, with black text, would make them infinitely
                              > better, and use a LOT less ink to boot. Hell, forget the black box,
                              > just remove the box, and use black underlined letters, that would
                              > work perfectly.
                              >
                              > I'd love to give some better examples, but i'm writing this from
                              > work, and Sourceforge is down, so i cant download PCGen here right
                              > now, otherwise i'd take a screenshot and show you exactly what i mean.
                              >
                              > Thank You!

                              Try the grey_light PDF OS sheets. They don't do the black bars with
                              white letters, and are quite good as far as ink. BTW, the colors are
                              easy to change. You simply change the file with the color information,
                              and then you don't have to touch the "master" sheet which is massive.

                              Chuck
                              OS Chimp
                            • Frugal
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 3, 2006
                                On Sun, October 1, 2006 8:26 pm, Kileran wrote:
                                > I think a LOT of people with B/W printers would love you if you could
                                > do exactly what you just said, modify a current one.
                                >
                                > The only Real problem with the B/W sheets is the "title" Areas. Most
                                > of them are black boxes with white writing, and at that font size,
                                > the writing is lost in the black boxes
                                >
                                > Even something as simple as modifying those so that it was a Black
                                > bordered white box, with black text, would make them infinitely
                                > better, and use a LOT less ink to boot. Hell, forget the black box,
                                > just remove the box, and use black underlined letters, that would
                                > work perfectly.

                                There should be a light_grey sheet that I wrote specifically because
                                people asked for a low ink version.

                                There are indeed only 2 versions of the PDF sheet, but they come in
                                various colours (in fact the only difference between the two sheets is the
                                weapon blocks. fantasy_master_simple just includes fantasy_master_std and
                                then overwrites a single block).

                                When I re-wrote the PDF sheets I had access to work B&W and colour laser
                                printers to abuse, so I wrote them to look nice on that kind of printer
                                (you should have seen the full colour sheet I did for personal use with a
                                nice full page parchment picture as the background, now that was high ink
                                ;)

                                The way that the PDF sheets work is that PCGen creates an XML file and
                                then converts it to PDF with a style sheet. The stylesheets are clever and
                                con import other style sheets. To make a new colour scheme copy one of the
                                std sheets (say csheet_fantasy_std_yellow_full.xslt) to a new name (but
                                make sure you keep the "csheet_" at the beginning or PCGen will not
                                recognise it). Then edit the colours in the lines between 18 and 23. You
                                can play with the other settings in the file aswell, but lines 18-23
                                contain the master colour information. If you want the simple version of
                                the sheet as well then copy the "_simple" sheet to a new filename and
                                change the reference in line 4 to the new "_std" sheet you have created.

                                I need to create a new colour scheme as I use a different colour for each
                                character and I think my next character will be orange ;)

                                I always meant to keep working on the style sheets to break out the
                                colours into their own file and have both the _simple and _std files
                                reference the same _colours file to make it a little more friendly.

                                I also meant to break out each of the blocks in the output sheet (weapons,
                                equipment, money, feats etc) into their own files. Then the master sheet
                                would just call the block files in the correct order. That way it would be
                                easy for users to move blocks around and customise the sheet in their own
                                way.

                                --
                                regards,
                                Frugal