Re: [pcgen] Re: How to create simple magic objects ?

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5 1:41 AM
      Quoting dchuntarz (dchuntarz@...):
      > I really don't understand the way to create it... :(
      >
      > I am under version 5.10.1 (last one) and want to create under oriental
      > adventures some basic magical stuff. No problem to right click on a
      > katana and take "create custom item".
      >
      > On the left frame, I have add type and Masterwork. after an double
      > click on Masterwork, I have masterwork on the the right frame. I see
      > no other options to click... If I click twice on the "add type", I
      > have a new window called "Select desired Type(s)" ut I don't see
      > anything that could hive me some magical possibilities (has a +3 to
      > hit / +3 damages).
      > I'm sure I missed something easy and will cry (I'm a big noob) after
      > you exmplain it ;o) but for now, I am lost... Could you please give me
      > the way to do it ?

      I do not completely understand what you are trying. I just tried the same
      and it worked as a charm.

      Here's what I did:

      * In Settings->Gamemode I chose the 3.0 version, as Oriental Adventures
      is 3.0 if I remember correctly. (If you use 3.5, the rest won't be
      affected except that you have to load RSRD instead of SRD.)
      * Choose the complete SRD sources, load them.
      * Start a character. I did not give it anything, just started the
      appropriated windows by that.
      * Choose Inventory tab.
      * In the left frame, search for Katana (among the weapons).
      * Right-Click on the Katana and choose 'customize item'.
      This opens the chooser for the abilities. As katanas are always
      masterwork items, this property is already chosen.
      And in this choser there is, among other possibilities, the
      enhancement (weapon or ammunition) options...
      If you want special properties, btw, you first have to choose an
      enhancement of at least +1, as magical enchantments can only put on such
      items.

      Now, if this (and possible other replies by this list) doesn't help, please
      try to explain in more detail what you want to archive and where you think
      something goes wrong.

      Susan
    • dchuntarz
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5 5:44 AM
        Many thanks for your help. I have now a better understanding of my
        problem ...

        - In game mode, I have to choose "D&D Oriental Adventures v3.Oe". If I
        choose the 3.0 version, I dont think I have access to Oriental
        Adventures (but I will have a look). So I do not load the "complete
        srd" source but the D&D oriental adventures source.

        - By following your advice, and loading the complete srd source, I had
        a complete understanding of how easy it is to create magic items
        because many options do appear(with a lot of magical effects). This is
        not the case when I do exacly the same but load the "D&D O avendures"
        source... Nothing appear at all for such magical bonus :(

        Any ideas ?
        Thanks again,
        DCH.
      • Susan Dittmar
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5 6:15 AM
          Hi,

          Quoting dchuntarz (dchuntarz@...):
          > - In game mode, I have to choose "D&D Oriental Adventures v3.Oe". If I
          > choose the 3.0 version, I dont think I have access to Oriental
          > Adventures (but I will have a look). So I do not load the "complete
          > srd" source but the D&D oriental adventures source.

          That looks to me that someone created a gamemode for Oriental Adventures
          (where I think making it part of 3.0 gamemode should have been enough; but
          I am just a beginner at using PCGen and might just overlook a lot).
          And this gamemode does not include enough of the basic rules.

          In my copy of the 5.10.1 I do not see such a gamemode. I did not find the
          Oriental Adventure data files either...

          That brings me to another idea. Are those sources you bought from Code
          Monkey Pubishing? If so, I think using 5.10.1 PCGen might cause problems.
          As far as I know the sources from CMP still use version 5.8.1 of PCGen and
          are *not* compatible with 5.10.1.

          Just some thoughts that might perhaps trigger something that helps you...

          Susan
        • cofoghlu
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5 9:06 AM
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "dchuntarz" <dchuntarz@...> wrote:
            > - In game mode, I have to choose "D&D Oriental Adventures v3.Oe". If I
            > choose the 3.0 version, I dont think I have access to Oriental
            > Adventures (but I will have a look). So I do not load the "complete
            > srd" source but the D&D oriental adventures source.

            Sounds like you bought the Code Monkey Publishing (CMP) dataset for
            this book. If so, then your questions should really be posed on the
            message boards
            (http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=index&c=22)
            that CMP host on their site (the reason being, that everyone on those
            boards has purchased the datasets from them, and the issues are
            different depending on the game mode and datasets that you are using).

            That said, CMP datasets currently only work with PC Gen 5.8.1 so try
            using that version and see if your issue persists.

            --
            Cormac
          • dchuntarz
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6 5:41 AM
              Many thanks to all. I had to buy the "core set" and now everything is
              working fine and I can create all magics items I need.

              Regards,
              DCH