Startup causes npe at pcgen.gui.GameModes.jbInit(GameModes.java:238)

  • finnzevel
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hi, I have a problem starting up pcgen. I have acquired it from the
      svn repository, and am using eclipse for building. The steps I have
      taken are the following:

      1) Check out the project to an empty directory - OK
      2) Compile the project with Eclipse - OK (used JavaCC to compile
      DiceExpressions.jj)
      3) Create a Run target that executes pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI with no parameters

      The result:
      472 lines of "Unparsed line" messages, examples:
      Unparsed line: CAMPAIGN:Necromancer Games - Original Spell Name
      Compendium in
      file:/C:/personal/workspace/pcgen_trunk/data/d20ogl/necromancergames/originalspellnamecompendium/originalspellname.pcc
      Unparsed line: RANK:6 in
      file:/C:/personal/workspace/pcgen_trunk/data/d20ogl/necromancergames/originalspellnamecompendium/originalspellname.pcc
      Unparsed line: GAMEMODE:35e in
      file:/C:/personal/workspace/pcgen_trunk/data/d20ogl/necromancergames/originalspellnamecompendium/originalspellname.pcc
      Unparsed line: GENRE:Fantasy in
      file:/C:/personal/workspace/pcgen_trunk/data/d20ogl/necromancergames/originalspellnamecompendium/originalspellname.pcc
      Unparsed line: BOOKTYPE:Supplement in
      file:/C:/personal/workspace/pcgen_trunk/data/d20ogl/necromancergames/originalspellnamecompendium/originalspellname.pcc
      Unparsed line: SETTING:Core in
      file:/C:/personal/workspace/pcgen_trunk/data/d20ogl/necromancergames/originalspellnamecompendium/originalspellname.pcc

      Then, a selection dialog where i choose the "pcgen directory" option.

      Then, the following exception:
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at pcgen.gui.GameModes.jbInit(GameModes.java:238)
      at pcgen.gui.GameModes.<init>(GameModes.java:67)
      at pcgen.gui.Options.addCampMenu(Options.java:68)
      at pcgen.gui.Options.jbInit(Options.java:80)
      at pcgen.gui.Options.<init>(Options.java:57)
      at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$MenuItems.<init>(PCGen_Frame1.java:2713)
      at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.<init>(PCGen_Frame1.java:232)
      at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.<init>(pcGenGUI.java:194)
      at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.main(pcGenGUI.java:462)

      The GUI starts, but no sources are available. The loop producing the
      npe (lines 237-239) reads:
      for (int i = 0; i < gameModeNames.length; ++i)
      {
      Utility.setTextAndMnemonic(gameModeNames[i],
      gameModeNames[i].getText());
      }

      Debugging shows that gameModeNames is an array of length 8, with null
      as each value.

      For comparison, the delivery version of pcgen works just find, but the
      same above error is produced if I try to use the delivery data sets
      with the source code version. Any ideas what might cause this problem?
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006

        On 2/09/2006 5:07 PM finnzevel wrote
        > Hi, I have a problem starting up pcgen. I have acquired it from the
        > svn repository, and am using eclipse for building. The steps I have
        > taken are the following:
        >
        > 1) Check out the project to an empty directory - OK
        > 2) Compile the project with Eclipse - OK (used JavaCC to compile
        > DiceExpressions.jj)
        > 3) Create a Run target that executes pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI with no parameters

        [snip error output]
        > Debugging shows that gameModeNames is an array of length 8, with null
        > as each value.
        >
        > For comparison, the delivery version of pcgen works just find, but the
        > same above error is produced if I try to use the delivery data sets
        > with the source code version. Any ideas what might cause this problem?

        Yep, you haven't built the plugins :) These are responsible for such
        things as parsing the data. See
        http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#%5B%5BBuilding%20PCGen%5D%5D for
        instructions on the build process, both command line and for Eclipse.
        Hopefully that should get you going, but if not, please let us know.

        Cheers,
        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB
      • finnzevel
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
          > Yep, you haven't built the plugins :) These are responsible for such
          > things as parsing the data. See
          > http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#%5B%5BBuilding%20PCGen%5D%5D for
          > instructions on the build process, both command line and for Eclipse.
          > Hopefully that should get you going, but if not, please let us know.

          Worked fabulously, thanks!