Re: Doesn't load sources

  • Lamune Baba
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006
      I was actually having this same problem, but I figured mine out...
      after poking at it for a few more minutes.

      I was only interested in SRD materials for an AD&D campaign, so I was
      only attempting to load PCGEN OGL entry. So when I attempted to start
      a new character, it was giving me the source error.

      It looks like all the actual game files are in RSRD (3.5e, or SRD in
      3.0 mode.) As soon as I loaded that, everything worked great.

      Any chance of the same issue, OP?
    • tahl_liadon
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Lamune Baba" <Lamune_Baba@...> wrote:

        > I was actually having this same problem, but I figured mine out...
        > after poking at it for a few more minutes.
        >
        > I was only interested in SRD materials for an AD&D campaign, so I was
        > only attempting to load PCGEN OGL entry. So when I attempted to start
        > a new character, it was giving me the source error.
        >
        > It looks like all the actual game files are in RSRD (3.5e, or SRD in
        > 3.0 mode.) As soon as I loaded that, everything worked great.
        >
        > Any chance of the same issue, OP?

        i'm not sure if this is the same issue that i'm having...

        i am using sun-java (1.5) with pcgen (5.81) in ubuntu on a 386.

        my sources wouldn't load; i just get a totally blank pcgen interface.
        after moving things around, i discovered that i have to put everything
        (the contents of the pcgen dir after unzip) right at the first level
        of my user account (i.e. /home/user/[pcgen contents]).

        it wouldn't even work if i had the contents in a "pcgen" dir (i.e.
        /home/user/pcgen/[pcgen contents]). i'm too frustrated to figure a
        workaround right now. my user account is populated with pcgen files
        and dirs, but i don't care. it works for now.

        hope this sheds some light.
      • curseblad3
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
          Just downloaded the exe (installing version) and it works just
          fine.Sry for the trouble
        • techwiz2000_2000
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006
            I just joined because I'm having a similar problem: I've created my
            own campaign PCC file, and in it I've called all the parts of the RSRD
            I actually want to show up (a handful of race and class files, the
            equipment and stuff...). But when I load just that source, it acts as
            though no sources are loaded. When I load that and the RSRD, in
            addition to everything I didn't want showing up, none of my custom
            races or classes show up at all!

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tahl_liadon" <tahl@...> wrote:

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Lamune Baba" <Lamune_Baba@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I was actually having this same problem, but I figured mine out...
            > > after poking at it for a few more minutes.
            > >
            > > I was only interested in SRD materials for an AD&D campaign, so I was
            > > only attempting to load PCGEN OGL entry. So when I attempted to start
            > > a new character, it was giving me the source error.
            > >
            > > It looks like all the actual game files are in RSRD (3.5e, or SRD in
            > > 3.0 mode.) As soon as I loaded that, everything worked great.
            > >
            > > Any chance of the same issue, OP?
            > >

            > i'm not sure if this is the same issue that i'm having...
            >
            > i am using sun-java (1.5) with pcgen (5.81) in ubuntu on a 386.
            >
            > my sources wouldn't load; i just get a totally blank pcgen interface.
            > after moving things around, i discovered that i have to put everything
            > (the contents of the pcgen dir after unzip) right at the first level
            > of my user account (i.e. /home/user/[pcgen contents]).
            >
            > it wouldn't even work if i had the contents in a "pcgen" dir (i.e.
            > /home/user/pcgen/[pcgen contents]). i'm too frustrated to figure a
            > workaround right now. my user account is populated with pcgen files
            > and dirs, but i don't care. it works for now.
            >
            > hope this sheds some light.

          • Edwin Holley
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006
              techwiz2000_2000 wrote:
              > I just joined because I'm having a similar problem: I've created my
              > own campaign PCC file, and in it I've called all the parts of the RSRD
              > I actually want to show up (a handful of race and class files, the
              > equipment and stuff...). But when I load just that source, it acts as
              > though no sources are loaded. When I load that and the RSRD, in
              > addition to everything I didn't want showing up, none of my custom
              > races or classes show up at all!

              Are you able to load one of the included sources, such as RSRD complete?
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tahl_liadon" <tahl@...> wrote:
              >
              >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Lamune Baba" <Lamune_Baba@> wrote:
              >>
              >>> I was actually having this same problem, but I figured mine out...
              >>> after poking at it for a few more minutes.
              >>>
              >>> I was only interested in SRD materials for an AD&D campaign, so I was
              >>> only attempting to load PCGEN OGL entry. So when I attempted to start
              >>> a new character, it was giving me the source error.
              >>>
              >>> It looks like all the actual game files are in RSRD (3.5e, or SRD in
              >>> 3.0 mode.) As soon as I loaded that, everything worked great.
              >>>
              >>> Any chance of the same issue, OP?
              >>>

              >> i'm not sure if this is the same issue that i'm having...
              >>
              >> i am using sun-java (1.5) with pcgen (5.81) in ubuntu on a 386.

              Sun Java may be a problem ... some people are able to run it no problem.
              >> my sources wouldn't load; i just get a totally blank pcgen interface.
              >> after moving things around, i discovered that i have to put everything
              >> (the contents of the pcgen dir after unzip) right at the first level
              >> of my user account (i.e. /home/user/[pcgen contents]).
              >>
              >> it wouldn't even work if i had the contents in a "pcgen" dir (i.e.
              >> /home/user/pcgen/[pcgen contents]). i'm too frustrated to figure a
              >> workaround right now. my user account is populated with pcgen files
              >> and dirs, but i don't care. it works for now.
              >>
              >> hope this sheds some light.

              You might want to move your stuff to the Vendor directory, or create
              your own.

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006

                On 30/08/2006 2:19 AM tahl_liadon wrote
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Lamune Baba" <Lamune_Baba@...> wrote:
                >
                > i'm not sure if this is the same issue that i'm having...
                >
                > i am using sun-java (1.5) with pcgen (5.81) in ubuntu on a 386.
                >
                > my sources wouldn't load; i just get a totally blank pcgen interface.
                > after moving things around, i discovered that i have to put everything
                > (the contents of the pcgen dir after unzip) right at the first level
                > of my user account (i.e. /home/user/[pcgen contents]).
                >
                > it wouldn't even work if i had the contents in a "pcgen" dir (i.e.
                > /home/user/pcgen/[pcgen contents]). i'm too frustrated to figure a
                > workaround right now. my user account is populated with pcgen files
                > and dirs, but i don't care. it works for now.
                >
                > hope this sheds some light.

                My guess here is that when you had it in the pcgen directory (i.e.
                /home/username/pcgen/[pcgen contents] ) your current directory when you
                were running the program was your home directory rather than the pcgen
                directory. When pcgen is run it needs to be able to find the plugins,
                the game mode info and the data. Once you get started you can configure
                this all up to specific locations. However, at least initially, you need
                to start pcgen with the current directory set to the pcgen directory.

                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code SB
              • James Dempsey
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006

                  On 3/09/2006 9:23 AM techwiz2000_2000 wrote
                  > I just joined because I'm having a similar problem: I've created my
                  > own campaign PCC file, and in it I've called all the parts of the RSRD
                  > I actually want to show up (a handful of race and class files, the
                  > equipment and stuff...). But when I load just that source, it acts as
                  > though no sources are loaded. When I load that and the RSRD, in
                  > addition to everything I didn't want showing up, none of my custom
                  > races or classes show up at all!

                  My guess here is that your PCC file either does not have enough
                  information included, or it is coded incorrectly and not loading some
                  information in the way you expect. If you load your source with the
                  debug console open and the debug mode selected you will see some
                  counters appear, like the following.

                  Number of objects loaded. The following should all be greater than 0:
                  Races=643
                  Classes=128
                  Skills=84
                  Feats=696
                  Equipment=2144
                  WeaponProfs=133
                  Kits=928
                  Templates=365

                  The results there, and any error messages you see may guide you in
                  working out what is wrong with your PCC file.

                  James Dempsey
                  PCGen Code SB
                • techwiz2000_2000
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
                    I can indeed load the RSRD complete, but nothing at all from my
                    campaign shows up if I load both. It claims to load mine but won't let
                    me make a char unless I load both

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Edwin Holley <eholley@...> wrote:

                    > techwiz2000_2000 wrote:
                    > > I just joined because I'm having a similar problem: I've created my
                    > > own campaign PCC file, and in it I've called all the parts of the RSRD
                    > > I actually want to show up (a handful of race and class files, the
                    > > equipment and stuff...). But when I load just that source, it acts as
                    > > though no sources are loaded. When I load that and the RSRD, in
                    > > addition to everything I didn't want showing up, none of my custom
                    > > races or classes show up at all!
                    > >
                    > Are you able to load one of the included sources, such as RSRD complete?
                    > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tahl_liadon" <tahl@> wrote:

                    I was

                    > >> i'm not sure if this is the same issue that i'm having...
                    > >>
                    > >> i am using sun-java (1.5) with pcgen (5.81) in ubuntu on a 386.
                    > >>
                    > Sun Java may be a problem ... some people are able to run it no problem.
                    > >> my sources wouldn't load; i just get a totally blank pcgen interface.
                    > >> after moving things around, i discovered that i have to put
                    everything
                    > >> (the contents of the pcgen dir after unzip) right at the first level
                    > >> of my user account (i.e. /home/user/[pcgen contents]).
                    > >>
                    > >> it wouldn't even work if i had the contents in a "pcgen" dir (i.e.
                    > >> /home/user/pcgen/[pcgen contents]). i'm too frustrated to figure a
                    > >> workaround right now. my user account is populated with pcgen files
                    > >> and dirs, but i don't care. it works for now.
                    > >>
                    > >> hope this sheds some light.
                    > >>
                    > You might want to move your stuff to the Vendor directory, or create
                    > your own.

                  • techwiz2000_2000
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
                      wow... I did something VERY wrong

                      Illegal Race Tag on all of my custom races, looks like, and errors on
                      my classes.... *cries*

                      > On 3/09/2006 9:23 AM techwiz2000_2000 wrote
                      > > I just joined because I'm having a similar problem: I've created my
                      > > own campaign PCC file, and in it I've called all the parts of the RSRD
                      > > I actually want to show up (a handful of race and class files, the
                      > > equipment and stuff...). But when I load just that source, it acts as
                      > > though no sources are loaded. When I load that and the RSRD, in
                      > > addition to everything I didn't want showing up, none of my custom
                      > > races or classes show up at all!
                      > >

                      > My guess here is that your PCC file either does not have enough
                      > information included, or it is coded incorrectly and not loading some
                      > information in the way you expect. If you load your source with the
                      > debug console open and the debug mode selected you will see some
                      > counters appear, like the following.
                      >
                      > Number of objects loaded. The following should all be greater than 0:
                      > Races=643
                      > Classes=128
                      > Skills=84
                      > Feats=696
                      > Equipment=2144
                      > WeaponProfs=133
                      > Kits=928
                      > Templates=365
                      >
                      > The results there, and any error messages you see may guide you in
                      > working out what is wrong with your PCC file.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Cheers,
                      > James Dempsey
                      > PCGen Code SB

                    • Edwin Holley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
                        techwiz2000_2000 wrote:
                        > I can indeed load the RSRD complete, but nothing at all from my
                        > campaign shows up if I load both. It claims to load mine but won't let
                        > me make a char unless I load both
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Edwin Holley <eholley@...> wrote:
                        Ok, try these steps

                        1)Start PCGen ;-)
                        2)Select Debug>Debug Mode
                        3)Select Debug>Console
                        4)Load only your source
                        5)Copy the contents of the debug to your reply :-)

                        hopefully this gives us some good info :-)

                        --

                        Edwin Charles Holley II
                        GlassWalkerTheurge

                        Mozilla Powered Open Source
                        Expand Your E-Mail Get Thunderbird!
                        <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=178>
                        Expand Your Browsing Get Firefox!
                        <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=85>
                        Expand Your HTML Document made with Nvu <http://www.nvu.com>

                      • Edwin Holley
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
                          Edwin Holley wrote:
                          > techwiz2000_2000 wrote:
                          >
                          >> I can indeed load the RSRD complete, but nothing at all from my
                          >> campaign shows up if I load both. It claims to load mine but won't let
                          >> me make a char unless I load both
                          >>
                          >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Edwin Holley <eholley@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          > Ok, try these steps
                          >
                          > 1)Start PCGen ;-)
                          > 2)Select Debug>Debug Mode
                          > 3)Select Debug>Console
                          > 4)Load only your source
                          > 5)Copy the contents of the debug to your reply :-)
                          >
                          > hopefully this gives us some good info :-)

                          I should have read following posts, sorry ;-).

                        • discnerd
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "curseblad3" <curseblad3@...> wrote:

                            > Hey
                            >
                            > Just downloaded and unpacked the program. It loads up just fine but
                            > when i choose the sources,load them up and want to create a character
                            > it still says i havent loaded any sources.When i check the console
                            > almost every file has "error parsing file" wirtten on the left.
                            > The filepaths to the files are correct,im runing the newest java
                            > jre,windows xp sp2.

                            I am having a similar problem with 5.10.1 (straight from the zip)
                            running on Java blackdown 1.4.2-02 on Ubuntu Linux. It dumps the
                            following (several thousand times, but I figured once would be okay)
                            when I try to load the RSRD content:

                            Error parsing file
                            'file:~/srcs/pcgen5101/data/d20ogl/srd35/epic/rsrd_spells_epic.lst'
                            line '67': null
                            Ignoring error
                            java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
                            at pcgen.core.spell.Spell.<init>(Spell.java:48)
                            at
                            pcgen.persistence.lst.SpellLoader.parseLine(SpellLoader.java:66)
                            at
                            pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFile(LstObjectFileLoader.java:323)
                            at
                            pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles(LstObjectFileLoader.java:110)
                            at
                            pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadCampaigns(LstSystemLoader.java:443)
                            at
                            pcgen.persistence.PersistenceManager.loadCampaigns(PersistenceManager.java:166)
                            at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns(MainSource.java:1048)
                            at pcgen.gui.MainSource.access$2000(MainSource.java:118)
                            at pcgen.gui.MainSource$18.construct(MainSource.java:1076)
                            at pcgen.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:113)
                            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

                            I've looked at the .lst files and I can't distinguish why some lines
                            are causing problems and others don't. Some lines are simply
                            comments. Any ideas?