Fire Giant & Haste

  • David
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
      PCGen 5.10.1
      Java 1.5.0_06
      Complete RSRD loaded

      Create a Fire Giant, and add the default Fire Giant Kit.

      Move: nothing equipped = 40 (correct)
      Move: half-plate equipped = 30 (correct)
      Move: nothing equipped & haste temp bonus applied = 70 (correct)

      Move: half-plate equipped & haste temp bonus applied = 50 (wrong!,
      should be 60)

      I looked at all the data (fire giant, haste, gamemodes) and the
      documentation and I can't figure out where it is going wrong. Can
      someone else confirm this?

      -- david
    • Axel
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
        I think the issue is to do with the fact that Fire Giant Armour is relatively heavier than human sized armour on a proportionate basis.

        Also look at your swim and climb, they are probably 'odd' as well

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
          On 8/28/06, David <Papa-DRB@...> wrote:
          > Move: nothing equipped & haste temp bonus applied = 70 (correct)
          >
          > Move: half-plate equipped & haste temp bonus applied = 50 (wrong!,
          > should be 60)

          Are you sure that's wrong? The copy of the SRD that I'm looking at
          [1] says that a creature with speed 70 who is medium encumbered has a
          move of 50.

          I suppose you could read Haste to give to bonus to your current
          movement rate rather than the base rate, but I always assumed it
          increased your base move, and then you reduced it from there based on
          armor or encumbrance.

          1: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm

          --
          Jerry
        • David
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
            Ah... Yes, that is what I was doing...

            Giant had 30' movement *after* taking armor into account. I then
            increased it by 30'.

            PCGen, obviously, is adding to the base move, then recalculating.

            Is there a 'definitive' answer somewhere? Haste could be read either
            way as it is not specific.

            thanks -- david

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Hill" <malaclypse2@...> wrote:

            > On 8/28/06, David <Papa-DRB@...> wrote:
            > > Move: nothing equipped & haste temp bonus applied = 70 (correct)
            > >
            > > Move: half-plate equipped & haste temp bonus applied = 50 (wrong!,
            > > should be 60)
            >
            > Are you sure that's wrong? The copy of the SRD that I'm looking at
            > [1] says that a creature with speed 70 who is medium encumbered has
            > move of 50.
            >
            > I suppose you could read Haste to give to bonus to your current
            > movement rate rather than the base rate, but I always assumed it
            > increased your base move, and then you reduced it from there based
            on
            > armor or encumbrance.
            >
            > 1: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm
            >
            > --
            > Jerry

          • Paul W. King
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
              > Is there a 'definitive' answer somewhere? Haste could be read
              > either way as it is not specific.

              It has always been my impression with movement increases they are applied to your base movement, before such things as encumberance and armor are applied.

              Paul W. King
              PR SB, BoD
            • David
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
                Yea, that makes the most sense to me too.

                thanks all, -- david

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>
                wrote:

                > > Is there a 'definitive' answer somewhere? Haste could be read
                > > either way as it is not specific.
                >
                > It has always been my impression with movement increases they are
                applied to your base movement, before such things as encumberance and
                armor are applied.

                > Paul W. King
                > PR SB, BoD

              • Kevin Finley
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
                  I don't have a page reference; however, I clearly remember reading that
                  enhancement bonuses to speed, such as Haste, apply to base movement.
                  Encumbrance is a percentage modifier to base speed.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com