PCGen on WinXP 64-bit

  • dragon_master2750
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
      Hello,

      I just downloaded PCGEN on winxp 64 bit and the program loads just
      fine, but when I appempt to load up the SRD, it locks up. Any
      suggestions?

      Thank you
    • theryonstormrune
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2006
        Are you running this under Java Windows x64?

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "dragon_master2750" <dragon_master@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I just downloaded PCGEN on winxp 64 bit and the program loads just
        > fine, but when I appempt to load up the SRD, it locks up. Any
        > suggestions?
        >
        > Thank you

      • Dragon Master
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2006
          I just installed Java - there was no 64 bit version that I could see.

          Are you running this under Java Windows x64?

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups. <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com> com,
          wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I just downloaded PCGEN on winxp 64 bit and the program loads just
          > fine, but when I appempt to load up the SRD, it locks up. Any
          > suggestions?
          >
          > Thank you

        • Dragon Master
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2006
            Also, when I load PCGen, it loads just fine, but when I try and load any
            data (srd, ogl etc etc) it does not complexly load and wont allow a
            character to be made.

            wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I just downloaded PCGEN on winxp 64 bit and the program loads just
            > fine, but when I appempt to load up the SRD, it locks up. Any
            > suggestions?
            >
            > Thank you

          • Dragon Master
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 27, 2006
              Can anyone tell me if PCgen will work with winXP 64 bit?

              It runs - but cant load the SRD files - no error message. Does the java
              platform need to be 64 bit as well? I am running 32 bit java.
              Thanks!

              wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I just downloaded PCGEN on winxp 64 bit and the program loads just
              > fine, but when I appempt to load up the SRD, it locks up. Any
              > suggestions?
              >
              > Thank you

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 27, 2006

                It looks like support is limited right now, but try
                http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/install-windows-64.html

                Cheers,
                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code SB

                On 28/08/2006 12:03 PM Dragon Master wrote
                > Can anyone tell me if PCgen will work with winXP 64 bit?
                >
                > It runs - but cant load the SRD files - no error message. Does the java
                > platform need to be 64 bit as well? I am running 32 bit java.
                > Thanks!

              • Terry FitzSimons
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 29, 2006
                  Well I don't know about the 64 bit stuff, but I have a XP Home with SP2
                  installed.

                  Do you have all of the updates installed? I was having trouble a few
                  months back from one of them and it took a few weeks to get a correcting
                  update out of them.

                  Next you might check and see if the Java is working. Open a DOS box and
                  type:

                  java -version

                  You should get something like:

                  java version "1.5.0_06"
                  Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
                  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

                  From there the question is how do you start the program. I use the
                  C:\Program Files\PcGen\PCGen5101\pcgen.bat but there are some out there
                  that uses a bunch of switches to configure the environment.

                  I know on the initial startup, there is a box that appears at the top that
                  shows things loading, then it appears to hang, but its actually loading the
                  Sponsors and Credits pages and they take a while to load.

                  Let me know if I can be of help.

                  Terry