Back to the beginning

  • Chris Chandler
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 4, 2006
      Well, this is like deja-vu. I'm back to the beginning of when I came aboard
      on PCGen. :p

      I spent the evening trying to create the new statblock format that's used in
      the DMG II (got a pretty fair representation of it actually). In the course
      of this endeavor I discovered that the Output Tokens are horribly bollixed
      up (either in functionality or documentation or both!)

      So, I'm thinking about diving in again (although in a somewhat more
      restrained manner than last time!). Kar, get that look outta your eye...
      You got my soul once already, so just stay on your seat over there.

      Devon/James, is there a codemonkey I can collar and coerce into helping me
      figure what Output Tokens are broken, mis-documented or just plain missing?
      And then get them to help me fix the docs (by telling me how it should work
      according to the code), or having them fix/add the code/functionality needed
      if it's missing?

      Barak
      PCGen LST Chimp
      PCGen OS Chimp
      PCGen Doc Tamarin
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 10, 2006
        On 8/10/06 5:04 PM, "Terry FitzSimons" <fitzsimons@...> wrote:

        > This message is being cross-posted to Experimental for code monkey support
        > from PcGen, when replying to this message strip off the
        > pcgen@yahoogroups.com please.
        >
        > On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 14:40:11 -0400, you wrote:
        >
        >> On 8/8/06 3:18 PM, "Terry FitzSimons" <fitzsimons@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> As near as I can figure from the tag entry the following changes are
        >>> needed;
        >>
        >> I know I would feel better if a code monkey could confirm that the token
        >> indeed works the way I've found it to.
        >>
        >> The only change I see is the second example, what I think the token does is
        >> build a sub-list of feats of the specified type. With that in mind using a !
        >> negative should build a list of all feats without the specified type.
        >>
        >>> FEATALL.1.TYPE=Metamagic
        >>> Displays the 2nd feat name if it is a metamagic feat.
        >>>
        >>> Should be:
        >>> Displays the 2nd metamagic feat.
        >>>
        >>> FEATALL.2.!TYPE=General.DESC
        >>> Displays the 3rd feat description if it is a General feat.
        >>>
        >>> Should be:
        >>> Suppresses the 3rd General feat description.
        >>
        >> Should be:
        >> Displays the 3rd non-TYPE=General feat description.
        >
        > I thought the (!) is a NOT so the display would have been suppressed, not
        > just print the next third thing (ItemCreation, Fighter, Metamagic,
        > SalientDivineAbility, Epic, SpellKnowledge, Divine, Wild, Psionic,
        > EpicPsiCountFeat, Metapsionic)it finds.

        What this token appears to be doing is building a list and the (!) means it
        will not include that feat type on it's list.

        The listing for the Y variable as "the feats position in the character's
        complete feat list" is incorrect, what it is referenceing is the feats
        position in it's own list that it just created.

        Also very confusing are the examples, they do not include the full syntax
        specified above it. They do not show that there are two places where you can
        spec a feat type

        Here is a full example:

        FEATALL.VISIBLE.General.2.!TYPE=Fighter.DESC

        This would display the third feat which has TYPE:general but not
        TYPE:Fighter

        What it does NOT do is display the third feat IF it has TYPE:General but not
        TYPE:Fighter.

        NOTE: the variable X position accepts a feat type but not in the TYPE=<text>
        format, it just takes the text so you can NOT inverse it there.

        NOTE: appearently you can have more than 1 Z variable, the !TYPE=Fighter and
        the DESC shown above are both Z properties and that use works. It may just
        be that that just works for TYPE= or that TYPE= is actually it's own
        optional variable, I don't know.

        Please preface this with the knowledge that this is just what I observed in
        it's use, I have no idea what's the code does under the hood nor do I have a
        clue about the Token designers original intent.

        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)