Re: [pcgen] Re: PCGen 5.10.1 and the CMP Datasets . . .

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
      > The LST Converter was kept up-to-date for a while, but it's really in
      > need of a revamp. I think that adding something like it to convert
      > LST syntax from old to new is especially important for people who have
      > their own campaign data. For the first couple of years of PCGen, I
      > think some of my own campaign data was in every release. :)
      > Unfortunately, that party met its doom. At least I have nice campaign
      > files to make creating new parties/enemies that much easier! :D

      Heh. I remember those. I remember the agonizing the decision to
      remove them, and how to approach the B.D. or removing them. Thank
      goodness Mynex volunteered. :p

      <snip>
      > I think one advantage of having two different groups working on data
      > sets is that they both use the data differently. This means that
      > they'll find different bugs, and it increases the chance that they'll
      > find a bug that is biting someone working on their own material.
      > Having paying customers does put more urgency into getting things
      > right! Although I think everyone on the volunteer side has always
      > taken pride in fixing things in a very timely manner. :)

      Also, different ideas for developing new spec's. Mynex et al had some
      really nice points on the Natural Attack concept. Almost like the
      Skunkwork's two design teams for every major system back in the 50's.

      And yeah, we like to nail bugs fast. I can't wait to get back to my
      place so I can tackle a bug fix and finish getting another source into
      SVN.

      PCGen LST Chimp
      Who gets to play "Meet the Parents" instead of going to GenCon this
      year like I planned....
    • Terry FitzSimons
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
        On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:35:06 -0400, you wrote:

        >> As one poster has already stated, the core books seem to already load
        >> and are useable
        >
        >So, was this Blind Dumb Luck, or Visionary Intelligent Design?
        >
        >Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't start that debate here, eh? :)
        >
        >Brad

        It was The Watcher, from The Moon room, with the Pink Eraser of Errors

        Terry
      • Eric C. Smith
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 6, 2006
          Barak wrote:
          > Err... No. I think you mis-interpreted what Kar meant.

          Thank you, Barak, and everyone else who provided clarification on the
          CMP Data Set issue.

          You are right. I did misunderstand the earlier posts. My bad. :-)

          I have managed to load the datasets and get them running with little
          difficulty, but there were a few significant issues that presented
          themselves, so I have gone back to the RSRD as distributed with
          PCGen. The folks over at CMP did finally post a few notes on their
          frum about the issue, and as several folks stated here, it will be
          after GenCon before thay even gat a chance to look at the dataset
          conversion question. Ohwell. I can wait:-)

          In the mean time, and understanding that I am not capable at this
          time of doing any coding in Java, is there anything I can do to
          assist with the continuing effort on PCGen?

          Maredudd
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 6, 2006
            We could always use more data monkeys. :)

            Paul W. King
            PR SB, BoD

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 6, 2006
              On 8/6/06, Paul W. King <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:
              > We could always use more data monkeys. :)

              And Doc monkeys. I'd love a Data monkey that was as prolific as Paul
              K., but not as hard to troubleshoot cause they make up their own
              syntax. I've been on the Arcane Archer for like the last week, and I
              want it off my plate. Only spent like 6 hours on it, since my life
              has been hectic, but still...

              Yeah, I couldn't help but jab, Paul. :P

              PCGen LST Chimp
            • maredudd800
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 18, 2006
                I wrote:
                > In the mean time, and understanding that I am not capable at this
                > time of doing any coding in Java, is there anything I can do to
                > assist with the continuing effort on PCGen?

                Thanks for the replies about what you folks could use some help on, but as I reviewed where
                I was, and more importantly what kind of BUGS and FREQs you guys are dealing with, I
                realized that I am still way to new to PCGen to be of any real help. I ned to chew-off a few
                more nails and pull a lot more hair out before I know enough to be helpful.

                I'm not going away though, and when I'm more comfortable with what I CAN do in PCGEN. or
                at lest when what I know aligns more closely with the way things work, I'll jump right in . . .

                Maredudd
              • karianna03
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 18, 2006
                  Hi there,

                  > Thanks for the replies about what you folks could use some help on,
                  > but as I reviewed where I was, and more importantly what kind of
                  > BUGS and FREQs you guys are dealing with, I realized that I am still
                  > way to new to PCGen to be of any real help. I ned to chew-off a few
                  > more nails and pull a lot more hair out before I know enough to be
                  > helpful.
                  >
                  > I'm not going away though, and when I'm more comfortable with what I
                  > CAN do in PCGEN. or at lest when what I know aligns more closely
                  > with the way things work, I'll jump right in . . .

                  See my next post on volunteering!