Problems loading character sheets

  • Ernst Brun
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hi lads.

      After using the program for a few days (5.81 + CMP bundles addition), when i want to load a character sheet the program shows it is loading the file at the bottom left, then stops showing it and nothing happens. I am unable to load my character files.
      I installed the program on another PC and got the same problem after a few days.
      In case it was a memory problem I changed the xms settings but no change. I have 512 Megs.

      If someone has had that kind of pb or has an idea, i would welcome a solution.

      Thanks,
      Ernst.

    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
        Hi all,

        > Ah hah. So I was reading a bit more into it than was actually
        > there. Mea culpa.

        Unfortunately yes, sorry that was probably just a clarity issue on my
        part :-(, sometimes I only check my posts once before sendign, I
        should make that twiece in future.

        > One of the things I have on my wish list for when have enough time,
        > or when I become God-Emperor of the Unniverse, whichever comes
        > first, is that *every* time a tag syntax changes, write a
        > script/program/scroll to make that change to existing PCGen
        > supported data sets at the same time, and make conversion of the
        > tags part of the implementation of the change. If the conversion
        > doesn't work, then the feature isn't complete.

        Believe or not, but that is one of the FREQs we'll be looking at for
        the 5.12 series, basically a new version of the LST
        Convertor/Prettylst that will deal with these sorts of changes

        > That set of scripts/programs/scrolls would then be part of the
        > distribution, and could be used by one and all to upgrade their data
        > sets.

        Exactly, OS changes and PCG changes as well

        >> As one poster has already stated, the core books seem to already
        >> load and are useable
        >
        > So, was this Blind Dumb Luck, or Visionary Intelligent Design?

        Both really, when CMP and ourselves were fixing compatibility code
        bugs, we had to get things to a state where the CMP datasets would
        load and work to some degree (in order to find the main bugs). I
        suspect that if you have a little bit of LST knowledge that a lot of
        the datasets will work (with a bit of tweaking).

        CMP will want to understandably do a good deal more data work to make
        sure everything is working perfectly or near to it, they do have
        paying customers after all!

      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > > Ah hah. So I was reading a bit more into it than was actually
          > > there. Mea culpa.
          >
          > Unfortunately yes, sorry that was probably just a clarity issue on my
          > part :-(, sometimes I only check my posts once before sendign, I
          > should make that twiece in future.
          >
          > > One of the things I have on my wish list for when have enough time,
          > > or when I become God-Emperor of the Unniverse, whichever comes
          > > first, is that *every* time a tag syntax changes, write a
          > > script/program/scroll to make that change to existing PCGen
          > > supported data sets at the same time, and make conversion of the
          > > tags part of the implementation of the change. If the conversion
          > > doesn't work, then the feature isn't complete.
          >
          > Believe or not, but that is one of the FREQs we'll be looking at for
          > the 5.12 series, basically a new version of the LST
          > Convertor/Prettylst that will deal with these sorts of changes

          The LST Converter was kept up-to-date for a while, but it's really in
          need of a revamp. I think that adding something like it to convert
          LST syntax from old to new is especially important for people who have
          their own campaign data. For the first couple of years of PCGen, I
          think some of my own campaign data was in every release. :)
          Unfortunately, that party met its doom. At least I have nice campaign
          files to make creating new parties/enemies that much easier! :D

          > > That set of scripts/programs/scrolls would then be part of the
          > > distribution, and could be used by one and all to upgrade their data
          > > sets.
          >
          > Exactly, OS changes and PCG changes as well

          The PCG changes should be handled automatically - the pcg loader and
          detect what version the pcg file was saved in, and make the changes
          accordingly.

          > >> As one poster has already stated, the core books seem to already
          > >> load and are useable
          > >
          > > So, was this Blind Dumb Luck, or Visionary Intelligent Design?
          >
          > Both really, when CMP and ourselves were fixing compatibility code
          > bugs, we had to get things to a state where the CMP datasets would
          > load and work to some degree (in order to find the main bugs). I
          > suspect that if you have a little bit of LST knowledge that a lot of
          > the datasets will work (with a bit of tweaking).
          >
          > CMP will want to understandably do a good deal more data work to make
          > sure everything is working perfectly or near to it, they do have
          > paying customers after all!

          I think one advantage of having two different groups working on data
          sets is that they both use the data differently. This means that
          they'll find different bugs, and it increases the chance that they'll
          find a bug that is biting someone working on their own material.
          Having paying customers does put more urgency into getting things
          right! Although I think everyone on the volunteer side has always
          taken pride in fixing things in a very timely manner. :)

          -Bryan
          Benevolent Dictator of PCGen
          Who has been very very swamped, and is really really looking forward
          to GenCon! Stop by and say hi to me at the CMP booth!

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
            > The LST Converter was kept up-to-date for a while, but it's really in
            > need of a revamp. I think that adding something like it to convert
            > LST syntax from old to new is especially important for people who have
            > their own campaign data. For the first couple of years of PCGen, I
            > think some of my own campaign data was in every release. :)
            > Unfortunately, that party met its doom. At least I have nice campaign
            > files to make creating new parties/enemies that much easier! :D

            Heh. I remember those. I remember the agonizing the decision to
            remove them, and how to approach the B.D. or removing them. Thank
            goodness Mynex volunteered. :p

            <snip>
            > I think one advantage of having two different groups working on data
            > sets is that they both use the data differently. This means that
            > they'll find different bugs, and it increases the chance that they'll
            > find a bug that is biting someone working on their own material.
            > Having paying customers does put more urgency into getting things
            > right! Although I think everyone on the volunteer side has always
            > taken pride in fixing things in a very timely manner. :)

            Also, different ideas for developing new spec's. Mynex et al had some
            really nice points on the Natural Attack concept. Almost like the
            Skunkwork's two design teams for every major system back in the 50's.

            And yeah, we like to nail bugs fast. I can't wait to get back to my
            place so I can tackle a bug fix and finish getting another source into
            SVN.

            PCGen LST Chimp
            Who gets to play "Meet the Parents" instead of going to GenCon this
            year like I planned....
          • Terry FitzSimons
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
              On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:35:06 -0400, you wrote:

              >> As one poster has already stated, the core books seem to already load
              >> and are useable
              >
              >So, was this Blind Dumb Luck, or Visionary Intelligent Design?
              >
              >Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't start that debate here, eh? :)
              >
              >Brad

              It was The Watcher, from The Moon room, with the Pink Eraser of Errors

              Terry
            • Eric C. Smith
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 6, 2006
                Barak wrote:
                > Err... No. I think you mis-interpreted what Kar meant.

                Thank you, Barak, and everyone else who provided clarification on the
                CMP Data Set issue.

                You are right. I did misunderstand the earlier posts. My bad. :-)

                I have managed to load the datasets and get them running with little
                difficulty, but there were a few significant issues that presented
                themselves, so I have gone back to the RSRD as distributed with
                PCGen. The folks over at CMP did finally post a few notes on their
                frum about the issue, and as several folks stated here, it will be
                after GenCon before thay even gat a chance to look at the dataset
                conversion question. Ohwell. I can wait:-)

                In the mean time, and understanding that I am not capable at this
                time of doing any coding in Java, is there anything I can do to
                assist with the continuing effort on PCGen?

                Maredudd
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 6, 2006
                  We could always use more data monkeys. :)

                  Paul W. King
                  PR SB, BoD

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 6, 2006
                    On 8/6/06, Paul W. King <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:
                    > We could always use more data monkeys. :)

                    And Doc monkeys. I'd love a Data monkey that was as prolific as Paul
                    K., but not as hard to troubleshoot cause they make up their own
                    syntax. I've been on the Arcane Archer for like the last week, and I
                    want it off my plate. Only spent like 6 hours on it, since my life
                    has been hectic, but still...

                    Yeah, I couldn't help but jab, Paul. :P

                    PCGen LST Chimp
                  • maredudd800
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 18, 2006
                      I wrote:
                      > In the mean time, and understanding that I am not capable at this
                      > time of doing any coding in Java, is there anything I can do to
                      > assist with the continuing effort on PCGen?

                      Thanks for the replies about what you folks could use some help on, but as I reviewed where
                      I was, and more importantly what kind of BUGS and FREQs you guys are dealing with, I
                      realized that I am still way to new to PCGen to be of any real help. I ned to chew-off a few
                      more nails and pull a lot more hair out before I know enough to be helpful.

                      I'm not going away though, and when I'm more comfortable with what I CAN do in PCGEN. or
                      at lest when what I know aligns more closely with the way things work, I'll jump right in . . .

                      Maredudd
                    • karianna03
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 18, 2006
                        Hi there,

                        > Thanks for the replies about what you folks could use some help on,
                        > but as I reviewed where I was, and more importantly what kind of
                        > BUGS and FREQs you guys are dealing with, I realized that I am still
                        > way to new to PCGen to be of any real help. I ned to chew-off a few
                        > more nails and pull a lot more hair out before I know enough to be
                        > helpful.
                        >
                        > I'm not going away though, and when I'm more comfortable with what I
                        > CAN do in PCGEN. or at lest when what I know aligns more closely
                        > with the way things work, I'll jump right in . . .

                        See my next post on volunteering!