Possible display bug with magical vestment spell

  • chackenmueller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2006
      I have a custom coded class that can use Magical Vestment spell as a
      first level spell. The spell sheet is displaying the output as a 0
      enhancement. I looked at the coding and it is using:
      DESC:Armor or shield gains (min(CASTERLEVEL/4,5)) enhancement

      This will normally work just fine for a cleric who gains the spell as
      a 3rd level spell because of rounding. The problem is at level 1, the
      1/4 gives a value of 0.

      I'm not sure what funcation can be used to make that first portion
      have a minimum value of 1.

      Also, when trying to add this spell as a temporary bonus, it lists
      the minimum caster level as 5th.
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2006
        On 7/27/06 11:37 AM, "chackenmueller" <chackenmueller@...> wrote:

        > I have a custom coded class that can use Magical Vestment spell as a
        > first level spell. The spell sheet is displaying the output as a 0
        > enhancement. I looked at the coding and it is using:
        > DESC:Armor or shield gains (min(CASTERLEVEL/4,5)) enhancement
        >
        > This will normally work just fine for a cleric who gains the spell as
        > a 3rd level spell because of rounding. The problem is at level 1, the
        > 1/4 gives a value of 0.

        Not a bug since it correctly follows the rules, it's just a hurdle for you
        since you're trying to append a house rule.

        > I'm not sure what funcation can be used to make that first portion
        > have a minimum value of 1.

        Add this to the 1st level line

        BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SPELL.Magical Vestment|4|PREVARLT:CL,4

        This should adjust the caster level to 4 until the PC actually reaches it
        giving you a +1 through 8th level.

        > Also, when trying to add this spell as a temporary bonus, it lists
        > the minimum caster level as 5th.

        As it should since it is coded for a 3rd level spell. But so what? When
        adding it to a PC the caster level is not indicated anywhere, just the
        effect. So just tell it 5th and it will apply the +1.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • chackenmueller
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2006

          > On 7/27/06 11:37 AM, "chackenmueller" <chackenmueller@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I have a custom coded class that can use Magical Vestment spell
          as a
          > > first level spell. The spell sheet is displaying the output as a 0
          > > enhancement. I looked at the coding and it is using:
          > > DESC:Armor or shield gains (min(CASTERLEVEL/4,5)) enhancement
          > >
          > > This will normally work just fine for a cleric who gains the
          spell as
          > > a 3rd level spell because of rounding. The problem is at level 1,
          the
          > > 1/4 gives a value of 0.
          >
          > Not a bug since it correctly follows the rules, it's just a hurdle
          for you
          > since you're trying to append a house rule.
          >
          > > I'm not sure what funcation can be used to make that first portion
          > > have a minimum value of 1.
          >
          > Add this to the 1st level line
          >
          > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SPELL.Magical Vestment|4|PREVARLT:CL,4
          >
          > This should adjust the caster level to 4 until the PC actually
          reaches it
          > giving you a +1 through 8th level.
          >
          > > Also, when trying to add this spell as a temporary bonus, it lists
          > > the minimum caster level as 5th.
          >
          > As it should since it is coded for a 3rd level spell. But so what?
          When
          > adding it to a PC the caster level is not indicated anywhere, just
          the
          > effect. So just tell it 5th and it will apply the +1.
          > --
          > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

          I appreciate the advise but rather than use the hack you specified, I
          would prefer to .MOD the spell to change the DESC to something more
          inlie with the spell description without making any assumptions. How
          can I get that value to be a minimum of 1? Can I do something like:

          IF((min(CASTERLEVEL/4,5))<1,1,(min(CASTERLEVEL/4,5)))

          Will that work?
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27, 2006
            > I appreciate the advise but rather than use the hack you specified, I
            > would prefer to .MOD the spell to change the DESC to something more
            > inlie with the spell description without making any assumptions. How
            > can I get that value to be a minimum of 1? Can I do something like:
            >
            > IF((min(CASTERLEVEL/4,5))<1,1,(min(CASTERLEVEL/4,5)))
            >
            > Will that work?

            Dunno, didn't look at it hard. I know you went more complicated than
            you needed. Just need a max statement in there.

            DESC:Armor or shield gains (max(min(CASTERLEVEL/4,5),1)) enhancement

            I like to avoid IF statements whenever possible makes things nicer on
            my brain. :p I got told to avoid IF statements whenever possible back
            in my HS Comp. Sci. class. We got doc'd points on our grades for
            using an IF statement if we could code it another way. Not the ideal
            way for programming, since sometimes a well placed IF will take care
            things with the least amout of processor time, but it did get lazy
            teenagers to actually work on learning and using in later modules the
            complex CASE and other types of code. Side effect is someone like me
            who avoids them at almost any cost.

            PCGen LST Chimp
          • Jay
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
              > Dunno, didn't look at it hard. I know you went more complicated than
              > you needed. Just need a max statement in there.
              >
              > DESC:Armor or shield gains (max(min(CASTERLEVEL/4,5),1)) enhancement

              I have (min(5,ceil(CASTERLEVEL/4))) in my dataset, and it calculates
              properly when given as a 1st-level spell -- +1 at 1st- through
              4th-level, +2 for 5th- through 8th-level, etc. I've had it that way for
              ages, since the Eberron campaign gives Magic Vestment to Artificers as
              a 1st-level infusion.