Re: [pcgen] Error loading equipment

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27 7:41 AM
      Quoting Brass Tilde (brasstilde@...):
      > >> have a +1 Unarmed Strike or Grapple, but some of the
      > >> others look like theyshould be there, such as the
      > >> longbow and shortbow. And then there's the NPE
      > >> at the end.
      >
      > > All of those errors should be harmless.
      >
      > "Harmless" in the sense that they don't produce any errors in character
      > generation, yes. However, even on my dual Athlon 1800 machine with a
      > gig of memory (which I guess isn't that impressive anymore), it takes a
      > while to parse through those error messages, and if debug *isn't* on, it
      > still seems to take a while.
      >
      > I'm gonna have to go back to 5.8.1 to see what happens there.
      >
      > > The bows are not for the base bows, which should be
      > > generated, but for a modified version with the BOWSTR mod
      > > but set to 0. Not sure what the point of those items are.
      >
      > I'm not in a position to check right now, but does the program properly
      > generate magical composite bows? Is that perhaps what this trying to
      > do?

      I think you could easily turn off all those weird items by unchecking one
      of the options in the settings menu:
      Settings -> Preferences -> PCGen -> Equipment ->
      Automagically Generate Equipment

      The +1 Unarmed Strike is generated because you turned the auto-generation
      of +1-items on, and because Unarmed Strike internally is coded as just
      another weapon (at least that's part of it), as is grappling.

      Hoping this answer helps,

      Susan
    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27 8:09 AM
        > I think you could easily turn off all those weird items by unchecking
        > one
        > of the options in the settings menu:
        > Settings -> Preferences -> PCGen -> Equipment ->
        > Automagically Generate Equipment

        Yes, I *could* do that, but then every time one of my players
        found/bought a magical item, they'd have to customize it. Since this
        happens fairly often, that would be inconvenient. I've got a gig of
        memory for a reason. :)

        > The +1 Unarmed Strike is generated because you turned the
        > auto-generation
        > of +1-items on, and because Unarmed Strike internally is coded as just
        > another weapon (at least that's part of it), as is grappling.

        Which is why I wondered if there was a tag that controlled which items
        were EQMODable or not. Obviously, there are some items where this is
        appropriate and some where it's not. Especially if things like Unarmed
        Strike and Grapple are treated as weapons (and I don't disagree that
        they should be).

        Brad
      • Edwin Holley
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27 8:52 AM
          Actually a monk with unarmed strike would (if he survived long enough) end
          up having +1 unarmed combat strike. Although I am sure this would be
          handled by the class. I don't think the solution to a problem should be
          handled by turning off an option. Especially an option that is so handy.
          That does not solve the problem. Any error IS a problem, either in the code
          or the data. Assuming core data is used, their should be no errors, or they
          should be identified and fixed.

          _____