[BUG] or [RULES] with Int bonus items

  • tantaslir
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
      Using 5.8.0, then confimed on 5.10 Stable
      I have a human bard2/wizard14 who started life with 18 Int.

      For the first 16 levels in his life all was well, and his skill points
      were calculated as I expected:
      1st 4*(4+1+4)
      2nd 4+1+4
      3rd-7th 2+1+4
      8th-15th 2+1+5 (Int now 20/21)
      16th 2+1+6 (Int 22)

      At this point, he got some lab time and made a headband of intellect
      +6, making his effective int 28, +9 bonus.
      The next level rolls around and I'm still on 9 skill points, not 12 as
      I (and my DM) expected.

      My question is, have I missed something about Int conferred from items
      not counting towards skill points gained (ie PCGen is correct), or is
      this a bug?

      Tantaslir
    • tantaslir
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
        Never mind - I found the previous thread.

        The Headbands in the SRD LST files also have the negative skillpoint
        bonus, the SRD (unlike the RSRD) does not explicitly state that the
        item does not affect skill points so maybe this should be addressed.

        I've removed the bonus statement from my files so I'm happy now anyway :)

        Tantaslir

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tantaslir" <piers@...> wrote:

        > Using 5.8.0, then confimed on 5.10 Stable
        > I have a human bard2/wizard14 who started life with 18 Int.
        >
        > For the first 16 levels in his life all was well, and his skill points
        > were calculated as I expected:
        > 1st 4*(4+1+4)
        > 2nd 4+1+4
        > 3rd-7th 2+1+4
        > 8th-15th 2+1+5 (Int now 20/21)
        > 16th 2+1+6 (Int 22)
        >
        > At this point, he got some lab time and made a headband of intellect
        > +6, making his effective int 28, +9 bonus.
        > The next level rolls around and I'm still on 9 skill points, not 12 as
        > I (and my DM) expected.
        >
        > My question is, have I missed something about Int conferred from items
        > not counting towards skill points gained (ie PCGen is correct), or is
        > this a bug?
        >
        > Tantaslir

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
          BONUSes to INT from equipment don't count toward skill points.
          Otherwise you get this crazy thing in DnD like some computer RPGs
          (like the old MUDs) where the characters where one set of equipment at
          level up, and another set durring normal XP gathering.

          > At this point, he got some lab time and made a headband of intellect
          > +6, making his effective int 28, +9 bonus.
          > The next level rolls around and I'm still on 9 skill points, not 12 as
          > I (and my DM) expected.
          >
          > My question is, have I missed something about Int conferred from items
          > not counting towards skill points gained (ie PCGen is correct), or is
          > this a bug?

          PCGen LST Chimp
        • Susan Dittmar
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
            > At this point, he got some lab time and made a headband of intellect
            > +6, making his effective int 28, +9 bonus.
            > The next level rolls around and I'm still on 9 skill points, not 12 as
            > I (and my DM) expected.
            >
            > My question is, have I missed something about Int conferred from items
            > not counting towards skill points gained (ie PCGen is correct), or is
            > this a bug?

            I can't quote the rules right now, but I am very very sure that PCGen is
            correct.

            If you gained additional skill points from that headband, you would have to
            keep track of those, so you can loose them whenever you remove the headband
            (i.e. whenever you go to sleep, wash your hair, ...)

            Susan
          • tantaslir
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

              > > At this point, he got some lab time and made a headband of intellect
              > > +6, making his effective int 28, +9 bonus.
              > > The next level rolls around and I'm still on 9 skill points, not 12 as
              > > I (and my DM) expected.
              > >
              > > My question is, have I missed something about Int conferred from items
              > > not counting towards skill points gained (ie PCGen is correct), or is
              > > this a bug?
              >
              > I can't quote the rules right now, but I am very very sure that PCGen is
              > correct.
              >
              > If you gained additional skill points from that headband, you would
              have to
              > keep track of those, so you can loose them whenever you remove the
              headband
              > (i.e. whenever you go to sleep, wash your hair, ...)
              >
              > Susan

              Thanks for the responses.

              I realise completely why you'd want that interpretation. We operate on
              a more trusting basis (ie trust players not to abuse their magic). If
              you wear an item that boosts your intellect for months or years at a
              time, your capacity for learning is increased over that period. If you
              subsequently remove said item you don't forget those skills, you
              certainly lose any Int bonus to skills you have already learned, but
              the skills and knowledges you have mastered are still yours.

              Each to their own and, as I said, I'm happy to modify my own LSTs and
              rebel against the majority :-)
            • Susan Dittmar
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
                > Each to their own and, as I said, I'm happy to modify my own LSTs and
                > rebel against the majority :-)

                Rebel on, and have fun :-)

                Susan
              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
                  To each his own. That sounds like a good house rule for ya'll. The
                  point is for your group to have fun - as your group defines fun, not
                  some weirdos you contact over the internet or designer in Seattle.
                  I'm glad you got it to work the way you want. :D

                  > I realise completely why you'd want that interpretation. We operate on
                  > a more trusting basis (ie trust players not to abuse their magic). If
                  > you wear an item that boosts your intellect for months or years at a
                  > time, your capacity for learning is increased over that period. If you
                  > subsequently remove said item you don't forget those skills, you
                  > certainly lose any Int bonus to skills you have already learned, but
                  > the skills and knowledges you have mastered are still yours.
                  >
                  > Each to their own and, as I said, I'm happy to modify my own LSTs and
                  > rebel against the majority :-)

                  PCGen LST Chimp
                • Terry FitzSimons
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
                    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:38:48 -0000, you wrote:

                    >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> > At this point, he got some lab time and made a headband of intellect
                    >> > +6, making his effective int 28, +9 bonus.
                    >> > The next level rolls around and I'm still on 9 skill points, not 12 as
                    >> > I (and my DM) expected.
                    >> >
                    >> > My question is, have I missed something about Int conferred from items
                    >> > not counting towards skill points gained (ie PCGen is correct), or is
                    >> > this a bug?
                    >>
                    >> I can't quote the rules right now, but I am very very sure that PCGen is
                    >> correct.
                    >>
                    >> If you gained additional skill points from that headband, you would
                    >> have to keep track of those, so you can loose them whenever you remove the
                    >> headband (i.e. whenever you go to sleep, wash your hair, ...)
                    >>
                    >> Susan
                    >>

                    >Thanks for the responses.
                    >
                    >I realise completely why you'd want that interpretation. We operate on
                    >a more trusting basis (ie trust players not to abuse their magic). If
                    >you wear an item that boosts your intellect for months or years at a
                    >time, your capacity for learning is increased over that period. If you
                    >subsequently remove said item you don't forget those skills, you
                    >certainly lose any Int bonus to skills you have already learned, but
                    >the skills and knowledges you have mastered are still yours.
                    >
                    >Each to their own and, as I said, I'm happy to modify my own LSTs and
                    >rebel against the majority :-)

                    If you want you can put the additional skill points in the box and spend
                    them. You will just have a negative number the next turn, but you will
                    still have the next turns skill points (plus headband if you add it) to
                    spend either on your skills or reducing the negative number, or both.

                    Terry