Error loading equipment

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2006
      Not sure if this is a data error, or a program error. To me, it looks like
      some of this equipment *shouldn't* be loaded, as it doesn't make sense to
      have a +1 Unarmed Strike or Grapple, but some of the others look like they
      should be there. And then there's the NPE at the end.

      FWIW, I first encountered this when loading the CMP PHB and DMG, however it
      happens with the RSRD as well. This report is on a brand new fresh install,
      prior to installing any CMP datasets.

      OS Details:
      Windows XP Pro, up to date with all SPs and patches, except Windows Genuine
      Advantage, but there is an earlier version of WGA on the machine.
      1g memory.

      Java Details:

      java version "1.5.0_04"
      Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
      Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

      PCGen Details
      pcgen-5.10.x-all-no-libs-20060723.0117.zip
      pcgen-5.10.x-libraries-20060723.0117.zip
      Installed fresh in a new directory.

      Start PCGen using the PCGen.bat file ("java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar
      pcgen.jar").

      Settings->Preferences->Appearance->Display Options
      - Turn off "Show Tooltip Text"
      - Turn off "Use Automatic Busy Cursor"
      - Turn off "Show Portrait..."

      Settings->Preferences->PCGen->Equipment
      - Check all the options under "Automatically Generate Equipment"

      Settings->Preferences->PCGen->Location
      - Set browser path to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

      Settings->Preferences->PCGen->Sources
      - Ensure "Autoload Sources at Start" is unchecked.
      - Uncheck "Autoload Sources with PC".
      - Uncheck the three "Display..." options.

      Debug->Debug Mode (so it's turned on)
      Debug->Console
      - Clear the debug console.

      Select RSRD Complete to be loaded
      Press the load button.

      Below is the contents of the Debug console when it finishes.

      gmgen.pluginmgr.messages.StateChangedMessage[source=pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1[f
      rame0,-4,-4,1288x1001,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,title=PCGen v.
      5.10.1-RC3 - 35e
      Campaign,resizable,maximized,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootP
      ane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,4,23,1280x974,invalid,layout=javax.swing.JRootPan
      e$RootLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=16777673,maximumSiz
      e=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
      System Configuration Document doesn't seem to exist!
      Could not generate a +1 Unarmed Strike as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Could not generate a +1 Shortbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +1 Longbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +1 Grapple as the equipment modifier could not be
      found.
      Could not generate a +1 Flurry of Blows as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Could not generate a +2 Unarmed Strike as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Could not generate a +2 Shortbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +2 Longbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +2 Grapple as the equipment modifier could not be
      found.
      Could not generate a +2 Flurry of Blows as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Could not generate a +3 Unarmed Strike as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Could not generate a +3 Shortbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +3 Longbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +3 Grapple as the equipment modifier could not be
      found.
      Could not generate a +3 Flurry of Blows as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Could not generate a +4 Unarmed Strike as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Could not generate a +4 Shortbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +4 Longbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +4 Grapple as the equipment modifier could not be
      found.
      Could not generate a +4 Flurry of Blows as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Could not generate a +5 Unarmed Strike as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Could not generate a +5 Shortbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +5 Longbow (Composite +0) as the equipment modifier
      could not be found.
      Could not generate a +5 Grapple as the equipment modifier could not be
      found.
      Could not generate a +5 Flurry of Blows as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      Number of objects loaded. The following should all be greater than 0:
      Races=678
      Classes=128
      Skills=84
      Feats=810
      Equipment=5740
      WeaponProfs=134
      Kits=963
      Templates=392
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCells(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paint(Unknown Source)
      at com.l2fprod.common.swing.plaf.wrap.WrapTableUI.paint(Unknown
      Source)
      at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.paintWithOffscreenBuffer(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
      at
      javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run(Unknown
      Source)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown
      Source)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
      Source)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27, 2006
        Did anyone see this when I originally posted? Or did I just miss the
        response?

        Not sure if this is a data error, or a program error. To me, it looks
        like
        some of this equipment *shouldn't* be loaded, as it doesn't make sense
        have a +1 Unarmed Strike or Grapple, but some of the others look like
        they
        should be there, such as the longbow and shortbow. And then there's the

      • boomer70
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2006
          --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:

          > Did anyone see this when I originally posted? Or
          > did I just miss the
          > response?
          >
          > Not sure if this is a data error, or a program
          > error. To me, it looks
          > like
          > some of this equipment *shouldn't* be loaded, as it
          > doesn't make sense
          > have a +1 Unarmed Strike or Grapple, but some of the
          > others look like
          > they
          > should be there, such as the longbow and shortbow.
          > And then there's the
          > NPE
          > at the end.

          All of those errors should be harmless. The bows are
          not for the base bows, which should be generated, but
          for a modified version with the BOWSTR mod but set to
          0. Not sure what the point of those items are.

          The NPE is a known issue. It shouldn't have any
          effect on the program once it is running.

          -Aaron

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Brass Tilde
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2006
            >> have a +1 Unarmed Strike or Grapple, but some of the
            >> others look like theyshould be there, such as the
            >> longbow and shortbow. And then there's the NPE
            >> at the end.

            > All of those errors should be harmless.

            "Harmless" in the sense that they don't produce any errors in character
            generation, yes. However, even on my dual Athlon 1800 machine with a
            gig of memory (which I guess isn't that impressive anymore), it takes a
            while to parse through those error messages, and if debug *isn't* on, it
            still seems to take a while.

            I'm gonna have to go back to 5.8.1 to see what happens there.

            > The bows are not for the base bows, which should be
            > generated, but for a modified version with the BOWSTR mod
            > but set to 0. Not sure what the point of those items are.

            I'm not in a position to check right now, but does the program properly
            generate magical composite bows? Is that perhaps what this trying to
            do?

            Is there a tag on the equipment that indicates that it's EQMODable that
            maybe shouldn't be set for these pieces?

            > The NPE is a known issue. It shouldn't have any
            > effect on the program once it is running.

            Didn't appear to. I'm just one of those a$$holes who things NPE's are
            something to look at. :) Too bad I have neither the time nor the
            expertise to actually do the looking...

            Brad
          • Susan Dittmar
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2006
              Quoting Brass Tilde (brasstilde@...):
              > >> have a +1 Unarmed Strike or Grapple, but some of the
              > >> others look like theyshould be there, such as the
              > >> longbow and shortbow. And then there's the NPE
              > >> at the end.
              >
              > > All of those errors should be harmless.
              >
              > "Harmless" in the sense that they don't produce any errors in character
              > generation, yes. However, even on my dual Athlon 1800 machine with a
              > gig of memory (which I guess isn't that impressive anymore), it takes a
              > while to parse through those error messages, and if debug *isn't* on, it
              > still seems to take a while.
              >
              > I'm gonna have to go back to 5.8.1 to see what happens there.
              >
              > > The bows are not for the base bows, which should be
              > > generated, but for a modified version with the BOWSTR mod
              > > but set to 0. Not sure what the point of those items are.
              >
              > I'm not in a position to check right now, but does the program properly
              > generate magical composite bows? Is that perhaps what this trying to
              > do?

              I think you could easily turn off all those weird items by unchecking one
              of the options in the settings menu:
              Settings -> Preferences -> PCGen -> Equipment ->
              Automagically Generate Equipment

              The +1 Unarmed Strike is generated because you turned the auto-generation
              of +1-items on, and because Unarmed Strike internally is coded as just
              another weapon (at least that's part of it), as is grappling.

              Hoping this answer helps,

              Susan
            • Brass Tilde
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2006
                > I think you could easily turn off all those weird items by unchecking
                > one
                > of the options in the settings menu:
                > Settings -> Preferences -> PCGen -> Equipment ->
                > Automagically Generate Equipment

                Yes, I *could* do that, but then every time one of my players
                found/bought a magical item, they'd have to customize it. Since this
                happens fairly often, that would be inconvenient. I've got a gig of
                memory for a reason. :)

                > The +1 Unarmed Strike is generated because you turned the
                > auto-generation
                > of +1-items on, and because Unarmed Strike internally is coded as just
                > another weapon (at least that's part of it), as is grappling.

                Which is why I wondered if there was a tag that controlled which items
                were EQMODable or not. Obviously, there are some items where this is
                appropriate and some where it's not. Especially if things like Unarmed
                Strike and Grapple are treated as weapons (and I don't disagree that
                they should be).

                Brad
              • Edwin Holley
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 27, 2006
                  Actually a monk with unarmed strike would (if he survived long enough) end
                  up having +1 unarmed combat strike. Although I am sure this would be
                  handled by the class. I don't think the solution to a problem should be
                  handled by turning off an option. Especially an option that is so handy.
                  That does not solve the problem. Any error IS a problem, either in the code
                  or the data. Assuming core data is used, their should be no errors, or they
                  should be identified and fixed.

                  _____