PCGEN: slowness

  • Carlos Quintella
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4 12:39 PM
      Hi Guys,

      I love PCGEN it is an excellent tool. I started to it a couple of
      months ago and now I think it is almost impossible to live without it.
      The only thing I have to complain is that it requires a lot of
      machine to use. I have a MAC mini (1Gb RAM) and a P3 laptop (256MB),
      and using it sometimes is a difficult job because the system gets
      unresposive due to high CPU usage. I know that this is a side effect
      of a JAVA app but I think you would check the possibility of
      optimizing the code or developing an native MAC OS X interface. Did
      someone thought about this already?

      Carlos Q
    • Nathan B Hinckley
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4 2:57 PM
        It would be nice, but I'm afraid there are far too few of us; and even
        fewer volunteer code monkeys.

        On 7/4/06, Carlos Quintella <cquintella@...> wrote:
        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > I love PCGEN it is an excellent tool. I started to it a couple of
        > months ago and now I think it is almost impossible to live without it.
        > The only thing I have to complain is that it requires a lot of
        > machine to use. I have a MAC mini (1Gb RAM) and a P3 laptop (256MB),
        > and using it sometimes is a difficult job because the system gets
        > unresposive due to high CPU usage. I know that this is a side effect
        > of a JAVA app but I think you would check the possibility of
        > optimizing the code or developing an native MAC OS X interface. Did
        > someone thought about this already?
        >
        > Carlos Q

        > PCGen's Online Docs: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Edwin Holley
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4 6:31 PM
          I use PCGen on a PIII with 256mb ram :-). It seems a little slow, but I
          love it.

          _____

          <http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome> org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
          <http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/autobuilds> org/pcgen/autobuilds
          > PCGen's Online Docs: http://www.legolas.
          <http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/> org/pcgen/docs/

        • karianna03
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5 1:01 AM
            Well, we always work to optomise the code, but a MacOS native
            interface won't be within PCGen scope. Have you tried using the high
            memory options for pcgen? What version are you running?

            Karianna

            PS: I suspect your P3 laptop will always struggle a little with
            PCGen, as it takes a good ~128M once you have a few data sets loaded,
            your mac mini however should be fine

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan B Hinckley" <galadare@...> wrote:

            > It would be nice, but I'm afraid there are far too few of us; and even
            > fewer volunteer code monkeys.
            >
            > On 7/4/06, Carlos Quintella <cquintella@...> wrote:
            > > Hi Guys,
            > >
            > > I love PCGEN it is an excellent tool. I started to it a couple of
            > > months ago and now I think it is almost impossible to live without it.
            > > The only thing I have to complain is that it requires a lot of
            > > machine to use. I have a MAC mini (1Gb RAM) and a P3 laptop (256MB),
            > > and using it sometimes is a difficult job because the system gets
            > > unresposive due to high CPU usage. I know that this is a side effect
            > > of a JAVA app but I think you would check the possibility of
            > > optimizing the code or developing an native MAC OS X interface. Did
            > > someone thought about this already?
            > >
            > > Carlos Q

            > > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
            > > PCGen's alpha build: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/autobuilds
            > > PCGen's Online Docs: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6 5:18 PM
              Carlos Quintella scribed:

              > I have a MAC mini (1Gb RAM) and a P3 laptop (256MB),
              > and using it sometimes is a difficult job because the system gets
              > unresposive due to high CPU usage. I know that this is a side effect
              > of a JAVA app but I think you would check the possibility of
              > optimizing the code or developing an native MAC OS X interface. Did
              > someone thought about this already?

              In fact we do have a Mac specific installer. It packages PCGen in a single
              .app file which provides additional memory among other benefits.

              When you simply double click the .jar file java will assign a default amount
              of 64mb (I think) which as you have found is just not enough.

              You can get around this by running PCGen through the terminal using the
              pcgen.sh shell script provided, just open the terminal (found in Utilities)
              and type:"bash <space>" and drag the pcgen.sh file into the terminal window,
              this will put in the file path to pcgen.sh and save you from having to type
              it. Edit the pcgen.sh file to grant it more memory.

              On a PC you can double click the pcgen.bat file for the same effect.

              With the packaged .app version this is taken care of, all you need do is
              double click it.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            • Eric C. Smith
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6 8:19 PM
                Greetingd Folks.

                I too have a Mac Mini with 1GB of memory and am experiencing
                slowness. Not at first, but rather after I have been working for a
                while. It has happened several times while building NPCs of advanced
                level. It seems to go just fine for awhile, then it starts to drag a
                bit. It slowly gets worse until nothing seems to work. I have used
                the Activity Monitor to watch the cpu activity and PCGen will use up
                all of the available cpu time. As an example, I finally got tired of
                waiting for the program so I tried to save the character. The cpu
                became very busy for a while, then idled. I then tried to close the
                character and, once again, the cpu got busy. After a few minutes,
                the cpu began idling again but the character did not close. From
                that point, nothing would work, though the cpu chugged away, and I
                had to force-quit. The character was not saved.

                I suspect its a resource issue, or some of the code gets corrupted.

                Any thoughts?

                For my part, I will be saving and restarting the program at the first
                sign of a speed hit.

                Eric

                P.S. I used the Mac Installer and launch from the .app file.

                On Jul 6, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

                > Carlos Quintella scribed:
                >
                > > I have a MAC mini (1Gb RAM) and a P3 laptop (256MB),
                > > and using it sometimes is a difficult job because the system gets
                > > unresposive due to high CPU usage. I know that this is a side effect
                > > of a JAVA app but I think you would check the possibility of
                > > optimizing the code or developing an native MAC OS X interface. Did
                > > someone thought about this already?
                >
                > In fact we do have a Mac specific installer. It packages PCGen in a
                > single
                > .app file which provides additional memory among other benefits.
                >
                > When you simply double click the .jar file java will assign a
                > default amount
                > of 64mb (I think) which as you have found is just not enough.
                >
                > You can get around this by running PCGen through the terminal using
                > the
                > pcgen.sh shell script provided, just open the terminal (found in
                > Utilities)
                > and type:"bash <space>" and drag the pcgen.sh file into the
                > terminal window,
                > this will put in the file path to pcgen.sh and save you from having
                > to type
                > it. Edit the pcgen.sh file to grant it more memory.
                >
                > On a PC you can double click the pcgen.bat file for the same effect.
                >
                > With the packaged .app version this is taken care of, all you need
                > do is
                > double click it.
                > --
                > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

              • E R
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7 3:55 AM
                  "I too have a Mac Mini with 1GB of memory and am experiencing
                  slowness. Not at first, but rather after I have been working for a
                  while.

                  That's it, it happens the same thing on my computer (AMD K7 3000+ 512 RAM 2x120Gb HD)

                  Eduardo.

                • Eric C. Smith
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7 5:10 AM
                    Oh, by the way . . .

                    Thank you to all of the various monkeys who, through your dedication
                    and efforts have made PCGen possible! I have recently started gaming
                    again, after a hiatus of nearly fifteen years, and was looking for
                    something to help with the more tedious parts of the game. (There
                    were NO such programs the last time I played) PCGen fit the bill.
                    One of my players hit it right on the head when she said that PCGen
                    takes all of the frustration out of rolling up a character, but
                    leaves you all of the fun of creating one.

                    Keep up the good work!

                    Eric
                  • Timothy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 9 9:00 AM
                      I also have a Mac -- not a Mini. Mine is a dual processor 1.8 GHz G4
                      that is blazingly fast for almost all activities. When I launch the
                      application, I watch it climb rapidly in progress until it hits the
                      configuration files (they are .ini files) at which time it may have
                      me wait for 10 minutes before I can access the environment. Once
                      accessed, a new character command will cause me to wait another 2
                      minutes. After that, it is fine for awhile until it again begins to
                      slow down a lot. I then save the character, and quit. Restart, and go
                      walk the dog. The dog gets more exercise than my characters. They are
                      all in line waiting for updates!

                      On Jul 7, 2006, at 3:55 AM, E R wrote:

                      > "I too have a Mac Mini with 1GB of memory and am experiencing
                      > slowness. Not at first, but rather after I have been working for a
                      > while.
                      >
                      > That's it, it happens the same thing on my computer (AMD K7 3000
                      > + 512 RAM 2x120Gb HD)
                      >

                      > Eduardo.

                      > ~-->
                      > Yahoo! Groups gets a make over. See the new email design.
                      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/7tRolB/TM

                    • Edwin Holley
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 11 12:50 PM
                        I think I see the problem … get a slower computer. PCGen is the same speed
                        as my other big apps. ;-)

                        _____