Re: [pcgen] New to PCGen -> some questions :-)

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hello,

      > Hello, I freshly started using PCGen and I think that it is an amazing
      > job that you have done :-)

      welcome to the community then! I love the program aswell.

      > Now I wanted to know if there was a french version of the RSRD Core.

      No idea, perhaps someone else knows.

      > Also I would have liked to play a ninja, which is a class from the
      > "complete adventurer" handbook.

      I would be very surprised if this were not already done -- by
      Code Monkey Publishing, that is. They are the only ones allowed to publish
      it. They sell their data files for a really acceptable price (have a look
      at their homepage). Be aware though, that
      * you will have to use the 5.8.1 version of PCGen, as the Code Monkey stuff
      has not yet been ported to 5.10
      * you will have to buy the base book data aswell, as the Code Monkey data
      files are not compatible to the (R)SRD files

      I hope that helps,

      Susan
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
        I'm not sure if there is an official French translation of the RSRD
        (you'd have to check with WoTC for that). But PCGen has put together
        a team to work on i8n for the next release (5.12), which will include
        French (as long as we have enough French volunteers!)

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > > Hello, I freshly started using PCGen and I think that it is an amazing
        > > job that you have done :-)
        >
        > welcome to the community then! I love the program aswell.
        >
        > > Now I wanted to know if there was a french version of the RSRD Core.
        >
        > No idea, perhaps someone else knows.
        >
        > > Also I would have liked to play a ninja, which is a class from the
        > > "complete adventurer" handbook.
        >
        > I would be very surprised if this were not already done -- by
        > Code Monkey Publishing, that is. They are the only ones allowed to
        publish
        > it. They sell their data files for a really acceptable price (have a
        look
        > at their homepage). Be aware though, that
        > * you will have to use the 5.8.1 version of PCGen, as the Code
        Monkey stuff
        > has not yet been ported to 5.10
        > * you will have to buy the base book data aswell, as the Code Monkey
        data
        > files are not compatible to the (R)SRD files
        >
        > I hope that helps,
        >
        > Susan

      • E R
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
          As the previous french person asking for a french translation, I ask the same thing, but refering to a Spanish translation.

          I am new with the program, and I have found on the files section (I think) a translation to spanish for the program, but I don't know how to use it. Also I would like to know if there is some work to translate to spanish the data sets, ouput sheets, or any other thing. I so, I would like to offer my help to this work.

          Thanks!

          Wonderful program!

        • Terry FitzSimons
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
            On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:31:50 -0000, you wrote:

            >Hello, I freshly started using PCGen and I think that it is an amazing
            >job that you have done :-)
            >
            >Now I wanted to know if there was a french version of the RSRD Core.
            >Even though english is no problem for me, having everything in english
            >on my character sheet causes some problem when it comes to look up
            >some rules in my french player's handbook, and even more when it comes
            >to explain a spell to the DM :-)

            Well there is an Internationalized team somewhere around, don't know if
            they are converting to French or not, but they will probably stick their
            heads out of whichever tree they are working out of.

            >Also I would have liked to play a ninja, which is a class from the
            >"complete adventurer" handbook. Now I could give a shot at creating
            >this class from scratch, actually I did take a look at how to do it,
            >but I would not want to re-invent the wheel so if someone could tell
            >me if this book was already ported, that would be just perfect :-)

            We only work on Open Content books, Closed Content (of which Complete ...
            is one) is sold over at Code Monkey Publishing
            www.codemonkeypublishing.com/ don't know if they have been
            Internationalized or not.

            >Thankies :-)

            If you decide to do your own coding then the following information may be
            of help.

            Documentation in every download in the /docs directory.

            There is a listfileclass that has some howto's in it.

            The /data directory has a my_dataset to get you started on writing your own
            dataset.

            General questions here. Questions about the tags in the
            PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com . Questions about under the hood things
            PcGen_Experimental@yahoogroups.com . Both are newsgroups, both have file
            areas on Yahoo.

            Terry
            --

            Terry FitzSimons
            FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

            Data Lemur, Docs Lemur
          • jeango
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
              Yeah indeed I eventually figured that out about the complete ...
              handbooks.

              But I think that 6$ for a file that is not even portable is something
              very close to a ripoff, so I guess I'll have to figure this out by
              myself, which is a good training I guess :-)

              Else for the french version, I saw that there was a file in the
              internationalization folder so I'll try this out :-)

              Thank you anyways for swift replys
            • Edwin Holley
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
                Also, when you purchase from CodeMonkey, you must use an older version
                (1.5.6 as I recall). And the differences between these two versions is
                becoming significant.

                _____

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006

                  On 05/07/06, Edwin Holley <eholley@...> wrote:
                  > Also, when you purchase from CodeMonkey, you must use an older version
                  > (1.5.6 as I recall). And the differences between these two versions is
                  > becoming significant.

                  The version that CMP data files currently work with is the previous
                  production version: 5.8.1. You can verify this at
                  http://codemonkeypublishing.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index&catid=&topic=5

                  James Dempsey
                  PCGen Code Gibbon
                • Edwin Holley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
                    I actually meant to put in 5.6.1, but that was wrong as well. Thanks for
                    the correction :-).

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5, 2006
                      In short yes there is a team and we're gathering volunteers, I've
                      flagged the team lead to pick you up :-)

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, E R <eduardo_rgc@...> wrote:

                      > As the previous french person asking for a french translation, I ask
                      the same thing, but refering to a Spanish translation.

                      > I am new with the program, and I have found on the files section
                      (I think) a translation to spanish for the program, but I don't know
                      how to use it. Also I would like to know if there is some work to
                      translate to spanish the data sets, ouput sheets, or any other thing.
                      I so, I would like to offer my help to this work.

                      > Thanks!
                      >
                      > Wonderful program!

                    • boomer70
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 5, 2006
                        I am not sure who is volunteering since I didn't see
                        this original message. If this person could either
                        contact me directly <boomer70 AT yahoo DOT com> or
                        head over to pcgen_international and join up and I
                        will get in contact with you as to how you can help
                        out.

                        Thanks for your interest.

                        -Aaron

                        http://mail.yahoo.com