Re: [pcgen] [Feat Req] Skill point freedom

  • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
      I thought there was a preference you can uncheck/check to change it so it doesn't look per level for max requirements. Have you checked there?

      Tir Gwaith
      LST Chimp

      > I often use PCGen to stat out high level NPCs. While the skill point
      > by level feature is very useful for data checking, it can be very
      > inconvenient when I'm the DM trying to stat up, say, a templated
      > Balor. In order to ACTUALLY put max ranks into a skill, I have to
      > hit alt+M multple times for each skill I want to max, and if I decide
      > later that I want to reallocate some of those points, I can't just 0
      > the skill, because max ranks is more than rank-per-level.
      >
      > Could the careful seperation of skill points by level those points
      > were recieved at be a feature that can be disabled? I can understand
      > seperating them by class for purposes of what is a class skill and
      > what isn't, but I don't quite get how seperating it by level helps any...
    • boomer70
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
        --- thoron-tir-gwaith@... wrote:

        > I thought there was a preference you can
        > uncheck/check to change it so it doesn't look per
        > level for max requirements. Have you checked there?
        >
        > Tir Gwaith
        > LST Chimp
        >
        > > I often use PCGen to stat out high level NPCs.
        > While the skill point
        > > by level feature is very useful for data checking,
        > it can be very
        > > inconvenient when I'm the DM trying to stat up,
        > say, a templated
        > > Balor. In order to ACTUALLY put max ranks into a
        > skill, I have to
        > > hit alt+M multple times for each skill I want to
        > max, and if I decide
        > > later that I want to reallocate some of those
        > points, I can't just 0
        > > the skill, because max ranks is more than
        > rank-per-level.
        > >
        > > Could the careful seperation of skill points by
        > level those points
        > > were recieved at be a feature that can be
        > disabled? I can understand
        > > seperating them by class for purposes of what is a
        > class skill and
        > > what isn't, but I don't quite get how seperating
        > it by level helps any...

        There is such a setting but that is not what is being
        requested here I think. The problem is that the max
        ranks feature stops when you run out of skill points
        for a given level. So if you are creating a high
        level character and you want to specify max ranks in a
        number of skills you may have to hit max ranks
        numerous times. For example if you have 6 skill
        points per level and your max ranks is 10 when you hit
        max ranks it will set it to 6 since you will have no
        points at that level. You would then have to hit it
        againt to get the other 4 ranks.

        The work around is to use the hot keys to add a rank
        (CRTL-+ i believe) which doesn't stop at each level.

        -Aaron

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
          > There is such a setting but that is not what is being
          > requested here I think. The problem is that the max
          > ranks feature stops when you run out of skill points
          > for a given level. So if you are creating a high
          > level character and you want to specify max ranks in a
          > number of skills you may have to hit max ranks
          > numerous times. For example if you have 6 skill
          > points per level and your max ranks is 10 when you hit
          > max ranks it will set it to 6 since you will have no
          > points at that level. You would then have to hit it
          > againt to get the other 4 ranks.

          Right, that's what I thought we had a preference for when we started enforcing skill points per level. It was supposed to be part of the same implementation. This in addition to the 'Ignore Max skill ranks' preference.

          > The work around is to use the hot keys to add a rank
          > (CRTL-+ i believe) which doesn't stop at each level.

          Interesting.

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp
        • tcowan20
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@... wrote:

            > > There is such a setting but that is not what is being
            > > requested here I think. The problem is that the max
            > > ranks feature stops when you run out of skill points
            > > for a given level. So if you are creating a high
            > > level character and you want to specify max ranks in a
            > > number of skills you may have to hit max ranks
            > > numerous times. For example if you have 6 skill
            > > points per level and your max ranks is 10 when you hit
            > > max ranks it will set it to 6 since you will have no
            > > points at that level. You would then have to hit it
            > > againt to get the other 4 ranks.
            >
            > Right, that's what I thought we had a preference for when we
            started enforcing skill points per level. It was supposed to be part
            of the same implementation. This in addition to the 'Ignore Max
            skill ranks' preference.

            > > The work around is to use the hot keys to add a rank
            > > (CRTL-+ i believe) which doesn't stop at each level.
            >
            > Interesting.
            >
            > Tir Gwaith
            > LST Chimp

            Hmm, would an ADD 4 points from 1st level pool and 1 point per level
            to max level be better? maybe add a no nonclass skills fillter to
            it?