[trackered] RE: [pcgen] [Feat Req] Skill point freedom

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
    • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
        I thought there was a preference you can uncheck/check to change it so it doesn't look per level for max requirements. Have you checked there?

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp

        > I often use PCGen to stat out high level NPCs. While the skill point
        > by level feature is very useful for data checking, it can be very
        > inconvenient when I'm the DM trying to stat up, say, a templated
        > Balor. In order to ACTUALLY put max ranks into a skill, I have to
        > hit alt+M multple times for each skill I want to max, and if I decide
        > later that I want to reallocate some of those points, I can't just 0
        > the skill, because max ranks is more than rank-per-level.
        >
        > Could the careful seperation of skill points by level those points
        > were recieved at be a feature that can be disabled? I can understand
        > seperating them by class for purposes of what is a class skill and
        > what isn't, but I don't quite get how seperating it by level helps any...
      • boomer70
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
          --- thoron-tir-gwaith@... wrote:

          > I thought there was a preference you can
          > uncheck/check to change it so it doesn't look per
          > level for max requirements. Have you checked there?
          >
          > Tir Gwaith
          > LST Chimp
          >
          > > I often use PCGen to stat out high level NPCs.
          > While the skill point
          > > by level feature is very useful for data checking,
          > it can be very
          > > inconvenient when I'm the DM trying to stat up,
          > say, a templated
          > > Balor. In order to ACTUALLY put max ranks into a
          > skill, I have to
          > > hit alt+M multple times for each skill I want to
          > max, and if I decide
          > > later that I want to reallocate some of those
          > points, I can't just 0
          > > the skill, because max ranks is more than
          > rank-per-level.
          > >
          > > Could the careful seperation of skill points by
          > level those points
          > > were recieved at be a feature that can be
          > disabled? I can understand
          > > seperating them by class for purposes of what is a
          > class skill and
          > > what isn't, but I don't quite get how seperating
          > it by level helps any...

          There is such a setting but that is not what is being
          requested here I think. The problem is that the max
          ranks feature stops when you run out of skill points
          for a given level. So if you are creating a high
          level character and you want to specify max ranks in a
          number of skills you may have to hit max ranks
          numerous times. For example if you have 6 skill
          points per level and your max ranks is 10 when you hit
          max ranks it will set it to 6 since you will have no
          points at that level. You would then have to hit it
          againt to get the other 4 ranks.

          The work around is to use the hot keys to add a rank
          (CRTL-+ i believe) which doesn't stop at each level.

          -Aaron

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
            > There is such a setting but that is not what is being
            > requested here I think. The problem is that the max
            > ranks feature stops when you run out of skill points
            > for a given level. So if you are creating a high
            > level character and you want to specify max ranks in a
            > number of skills you may have to hit max ranks
            > numerous times. For example if you have 6 skill
            > points per level and your max ranks is 10 when you hit
            > max ranks it will set it to 6 since you will have no
            > points at that level. You would then have to hit it
            > againt to get the other 4 ranks.

            Right, that's what I thought we had a preference for when we started enforcing skill points per level. It was supposed to be part of the same implementation. This in addition to the 'Ignore Max skill ranks' preference.

            > The work around is to use the hot keys to add a rank
            > (CRTL-+ i believe) which doesn't stop at each level.

            Interesting.

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
          • tcowan20
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@... wrote:

              > > There is such a setting but that is not what is being
              > > requested here I think. The problem is that the max
              > > ranks feature stops when you run out of skill points
              > > for a given level. So if you are creating a high
              > > level character and you want to specify max ranks in a
              > > number of skills you may have to hit max ranks
              > > numerous times. For example if you have 6 skill
              > > points per level and your max ranks is 10 when you hit
              > > max ranks it will set it to 6 since you will have no
              > > points at that level. You would then have to hit it
              > > againt to get the other 4 ranks.
              >
              > Right, that's what I thought we had a preference for when we
              started enforcing skill points per level. It was supposed to be part
              of the same implementation. This in addition to the 'Ignore Max
              skill ranks' preference.

              > > The work around is to use the hot keys to add a rank
              > > (CRTL-+ i believe) which doesn't stop at each level.
              >
              > Interesting.
              >
              > Tir Gwaith
              > LST Chimp

              Hmm, would an ADD 4 points from 1st level pool and 1 point per level
              to max level be better? maybe add a no nonclass skills fillter to
              it?